Decided to Go Powerlifting

[quote]bking wrote:
Ok i looked up powerlifting watch and what would be a good federation to compete in? I want to compete in all 3 lifts and raw (is belt only still raw?)[/quote]
This varies… I think you can use a belt in almost every raw division in every federation and some allow knee and/or wrist wraps in the raw division. If you don’t really have a particular bent one way or the other I would just pick one that is close. Also, most feds have rules about how wide and how thick your belt can be so check that out too.

Which ever one you pick make sure you know the rules and lift to follow them as much as possible (for instance most people ‘bounce’ their bench presses off their chests and in the meet you will have to pause the weight on your chest until the ref gives you the press command, this sometimes takes up to 50 pounds of peoples bench presses). If you have a buddy practice the lifts with commands as you get closer to the meet (or even now). If you don’t just exaggerate the hell out of everything.

You are in Tennessee, so SPF maybe? Check out that fed.

[quote]Power Tower wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
LOL PowerTower, u wrong[/quote]

About what? The Wendler thing?[/quote]

yep

The Southern Powerlifting Federation is my primary fed. It’s headquartered in Tennessee so lots of meets in Nashville, Knoxville, and Chatanooga. Also, many of the top lifters compete primarily in SPF so it’s a good way to wee the best in action. Hoff, Frankl, Phelps, Wilkerson, etc, etc. Check out southernpowerlifting.com.

[quote]bking wrote:
When it gets closer to competition time how does the russian extended version sound for peaking? Oh and by the way I love the powerlifting forum people are much more friendly over here.[/quote]

If I were you I’d do a very basic peak, without going to a 1RM in the gym save it for the platform. If you do decide to go near max get 7-10 days rest before the meet.
Concentrate on practicing correct form (to satisfy the refs) and get someone who knows what they are doing to check your form. Most feds don’t actually mention parallel when squatting, they usually reffer to the crease at the hip going lower than the top of the knee. But you’ll need to be familiar with all the rules, you don’t want to get a massive PR to be turned down on a technicality because you didn’t know the rules (eg you squat and return the weight to the rack and get 3 reds because you didn’t get the ‘rack’ signal).
Best of luck, oh and by the way, I wouldn’t try to get into any particular weight class either, just lift as you train. You don’t want to lose strength just because you overdid the diet. ou’ll have enough on your plate at your first meet, and try to take somone with you to help you prepare (warm up) and compete (i.e. notify your attempts to the score keepers desk).

BKing, there is a meet here in Atlanta April 2nd (Southern Powerlifting Federation). It’ll be my first meet as well and I’m competing 181 raw. If you want to do it too we could be each others support team so to speak.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

yep[/quote]

I thought you just add the 10 or so pounds on every 4 week cycle though, meaning that your max slowly progresses. I would appreciate some insight as to why I’m wrong. I’m not trying to be rude, just curious.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

yep[/quote]

I thought you just add the 10 or so pounds on every 4 week cycle though, meaning that your max slowly progresses. I would appreciate some insight as to why I’m wrong. I’m not trying to be rude, just curious.[/quote]

… because you’re not limited by the number of reps you do on the final work set. If you feed your results into the 1RM calculator (i find this to be within 1% of my actual 1RM [which i test regularly]) you’ll find your theoretical max going up a fair bit quicker than 10lb per month :smiley:

i havent explained that very well. the weight you use is limited, YOUR max is not; more reps = more strongererer.

H

[quote]huscarl wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

yep[/quote]

I thought you just add the 10 or so pounds on every 4 week cycle though, meaning that your max slowly progresses. I would appreciate some insight as to why I’m wrong. I’m not trying to be rude, just curious.[/quote]

… because you’re not limited by the number of reps you do on the final work set. If you feed your results into the 1RM calculator (i find this to be within 1% of my actual 1RM [which i test regularly]) you’ll find your theoretical max going up a fair bit quicker than 10lb per month :smiley:

i havent explained that very well. the weight you use is limited, YOUR max is not; more reps = more strongererer.

H
[/quote]

Ohhh, Ok lol that makes sense. Thanks

As far as squat technique I didnt realize that. I did where the top of the leg to shin angle was 90 degrees so obviously I was too high.

I am actually not sure when my school gets out to be honest. Currently I have a job, taking 21 credit hours, trying to maintain my A’s, apply to Physical Therapy school, workout, and try to maintain a relationship with my family friends and girlfriend so I am too busy during the semester. It would have to be during the summer. Thanks for the offer though!!!

It seems as if everyone is saying souther powerlifting federation so ill look into it. Thanks you all for the fast feedback.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
BKing, there is a meet here in Atlanta April 2nd (Southern Powerlifting Federation). It’ll be my first meet as well and I’m competing 181 raw. If you want to do it too we could be each others support team so to speak.[/quote]

The guerilla squad barbell classic is in Richmond Kentucky but I missed the deadline. The other events were a bench only and a National. I need to buy a 30 dollar membership for SPF, pay 75 for the event, plus 15 dollar for a late fee if they will still accept me. Plus I need to buy a singlet and some converses or something. I just didnt realize it would be this expensive. I am trying to save up money right now. Ill just do it later, I don’t want to pay that kind of money to just lose or for just a learning experience. If I am going to do it then I want to know that the money I spent wasn’t wasted.
I am really sorry guys that you all wasted your time, I just cant let go of that much money right now. Ill make plenty of money though once I get out of PT school.

[quote]bking wrote:
As far as squat technique I didnt realize that. I did where the top of the leg to shin angle was 90 degrees so obviously I was too high.[/quote]
This is fairly common thinking. I’d suggest doing some box squats where you set the box height at about 1 inch below parallel to start getting used to it.

And yes competing is expensive… I think a 30 dollar membership is about the norm and then from 75 to 100 or more per competition is also about average.

Do what you can.

Hey I tried your suggestion today at the gym and my squat was 320 for 11 (almost 12) I was about an inch below where I should be (hip lower than knee) so my strength dropped a little but not as much as i thought it would

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:

[quote]bking wrote:
As far as squat technique I didnt realize that. I did where the top of the leg to shin angle was 90 degrees so obviously I was too high.[/quote]
This is fairly common thinking. I’d suggest doing some box squats where you set the box height at about 1 inch below parallel to start getting used to it.

And yes competing is expensive… I think a 30 dollar membership is about the norm and then from 75 to 100 or more per competition is also about average.

Do what you can. [/quote]

Make sure you have good box squat technique. There’s basically two ways of doing it. Using the box just as indicator of depth, and then you can sit back on the box and relax your hip flexors than explode straight up (not rock forward) and there’s some area inbetween the two.

Keep after it! Note what Fletch said too about the different ways they can be done. I like to mix it up and do a cycle with a pause on the box and then a cycle just touching it (pausing will make you decrease the poundage a fair amount (50-100 pounds) depending on how much you squat and if you are more or less effecient at using the stretch reflex in your muscles.

I just touched it and exploded up today. Ill try the pause on the deload of the wendler system just to get a feel for it. Ill go real light with it to start. I can definately tell a difference in my quad and hip strain once i dropped down 3-4 inches lower!