T Nation

Decent Total?

what kind of total would a guy between 180-190lbs need to compete in some sort of raw powerlifting meet?
just looking for a goal to set. i’m currently at 910, still new though and still making good progress.

ANY total!!! Aim to do better every time enjoy the experience pearn from others and have a blast

You aint going to win no trophys with that total but you’ll get better have the experience and get much advice etc.

Phill

ya know i almost asked this same question a few times, but instead, i just went and signed up for my first contest. Right now im looking at a total for about 1100, but hopefully my the time it rolls around in March, ill be at 1200.

–WS4

Like the others said, just get out there and do it. You will never get “that total” because as soon as you close in on it, you will already be looking beyond.

dont get me wrong, i’m not looking for some magic number at which point i’ll be done improving. I’m also not looking to win trophies.

but i’m guessing that if a 130 pounder came in and lifted a grand total of 300 he’d probably get some very strange looks.

or like the “bodybuilders” nowadays who are told to enter a comp for the experiance when they still look like twelve year old boys.

so i guess my question is, at what point can i experiance one of these competitions without making a fool of myself.

or am i completly wrong, and newbie lifters compete all the time?
thanks for the advice

You are completely wrong, new guys compete all the time.

I’ve seen guys up there benching 185 in a shirt. Nobody gave them a hard time, and actually cheered them on and gave lifting and training tips between lifts.

As bitchy and whiny as most powerlifters are online, most of them are great supportive people in person.

[quote]mattwray wrote:

I’ve seen guys up there benching 185 in a shirt. Nobody gave them a hard time, and actually cheered them on and gave lifting and training tips between lifts.

As bitchy and whiny as most powerlifters are online, most of them are great supportive people in person.[/quote]

Well put.

Lifters are just happy to see a new face as we all would like the sport to grow.

Additionally, nobody even notices what you are lifting during the meet. They just notice you had the sack to show up and are doing your best.

Everybody has to start somewhere. You will look back on your first meet with great pride. Getting through the first one is a hell of an accomplishment.

MN and WI are great powerlifting states. Between the two of their are typically 6-8 USAPL meets per year.

Go here: www.thepress.org and www.wi-usapl.com/

Good luck!

I agree that you should just go do it and enjoy every minute of it. That’s what I did for my first meet. I went with no expectations and gave everything I had. It was a decision I will never regret.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Well put.

Lifters are just happy to see a new face as we all would like the sport to grow.

Additionally, nobody even notices what you are lifting during the meet. They just notice you had the sack to show up and are doing your best.

Everybody has to start somewhere. You will look back on your first meet with great pride. Getting through the first one is a hell of an accomplishment.

MN and WI are great powerlifting states. Between the two of their are typically 6-8 USAPL meets per year.

Good luck!
[/quote]
thanks for the advice, i went to the wi website and saw the entry forms, but now i’ve got another question, what division would i choose, or do i have to somehow get a membership before i sign up for a meet? thanks a lot

Men’s open at whatever weight class you plan on being in on meet day. If you are over or under on the weight, they will make that adjustement at weigh-ins (same day as the meet in USAPL). Usually you don’t pay for your membership card until you show up for the meet.

I think the most importatn thing is for you to peruse the rulebook (especially if you do a USAPL meet). In addition to USAPLs stricter definition of squat depth, that is can be a stickler for a lot of petty shit that you can fix before meet day (learning what a good pause on bench feels like, keeping your feet flat while benching, etc.). Plus, there are the typical meet rules that often snare novices such as beating the squat command, rack command, not turning in your next attempt in time, not getting under the bar fast enough (timing out), etc.

Missing an otherwise lift due to one of these is frustrating as fuck and is pretty easy to avoid.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
Well put.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice, i went to the wi website and saw the entry forms, but now i’ve got another question, what division would i choose, or do i have to somehow get a membership before i sign up for a meet? thanks a lot
[/quote]

Don’t worry about the total. Like he said, just make sure you are up on the federations rules for lifting and proper uniform. Powerlifting is about setting goals, doing the best you can do and getting better. It is also about lifters helping lifters. The comraderie is second to no other sport, you will see this at your meet. Nobody cares about the total, it is the effort that counts. Good luck!

[quote]evansmi wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
Well put.

Good luck!

[/quote]

Depends on how old you are. Teen is 14-19, Junior is 20-23, Open is 40+.

You can enter the Open regardless.

For your first meet I would encourage entering the bracket that applies. Sometimes, there is a Novice bracket as well which is not a bad choice.

Neither the MN nor the WI calendars are up to date for 2007. I know for a fact MN will have at least 2 more meets than are on the calendar right now, and same with WI.

Per Pinto’s post, the best thing for you to do is find some guys who compete in the fed you are interested in and ask for help.

I personally have never turned down helping a lifter at their first meet and if for some reason am unavailable will hook them up with someone I trust.

99.9999% of lifters will be of similar spirit.

Ditto to everything thus far. You probably should lift in the novice division, if there is one. I have competed in BB and PL and I can vouch that PL’ers are by far more friendly and helpful. The BB’ers are walking around backstage with their lats flared trying to psyche everyone out whereas the PL’ers will help you with your belt/wraps/suit and cheer you on, even if they are lifting in your division. Go heavy, bro.!

The experience you get from any meet is invaluable.

You have to get used to the fact that you will be doing 3 1RMs in one day, which can be very stressful.

Understanding the timing of flights/attempts is huge as well.

http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/pdf/RAWClassificationStandards.pdf

You might find this interesting. Here’s the classification standard established for raw lifters. Find where your fall and work to move your total up to the next level. Good luck!

I just did a meet this past weekend and went by myself but left with a roomful
of new friends. It is you against the weight not you against Joe Smith. Almost to the person every lifter there was genuinely cheering for each other and praying that you made your lift. Nicest bunch of guys out there. Am I pissed that others lifted more than me? Yes, but not at them, only myself for rotten preparation.

I bombed out on my squat. Missing my lift by about 50 pounds but learned a lot about what I need to do better next time. Like to start training in the mornings as the lifting in a meet starts at 9am not the 2 in the afternoon like I was used to. From here on out my training starts at 7am after I drop the kid off at school.

Sign on the doted line and pay the entry fee to whatever type of competition you want to do.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
mattwray wrote:

As bitchy and whiny as most powerlifters are online, most of them are great supportive people in person.

Well put.

Good luck!
[/quote]

This is huge. Also in the morning you are not as neurologically “prepared” to lift such heavy weight. Your weight is also lower in the morning.