Decent Numbers for Less Than a Year of Training?

A little info about me. I started lifting a year ago but due to injury and rugby, it hasn’t been consistent until about 6 months ago and since then I’ve been getting steady gains. So I just wanted to know if my numbers are decent because I’m thinking about going into powerlifting but for the moment, my goals are to gain strength and at least weigh 200lbs for rugby. I’ve still got a good 7 months before the season.

Here are my numbers at 185-190lbs (was at 145lbs exactly a year ago) all raw:
Deadlift - 405x4
Squat - 265x5
Bench - 185x5
Overhead barbell press - 125x4

What do you guys think? Are these decent numbers for someone looking to get into powerlifting under a year of training?

Deadlift is not bad at all. Your squat is pretty low compared to your deadlift IMO but can’t really see your body structure. Bench and overhead not horrible either. What is your age.

20 years old and only at 5’6 so pretty bulky at that height.

Deadlift is my best lift because it wasn’t as affected by injuries as much as other lifts. Had a pulled muscle at the top of the quads area which made it hard to squat. Running/sprinting around in rugby also made it harder for squats but didn’t affect my deads as much.

Also dislocated my collar bone so my bench and OHP was off worse than the other 2 lifts.

Well then taking into account the injuries and some strength loss due all the running if you made a full swap for a few months into PL you could do relatively well for a first meet.

that deadlift is really really good! def mirin. what is your routine at the moment or have you switched up a lot? am too a beginner, though i noticed when benching twice and pressing once a week i made most consistent gains in those two.

I currently don’t follow any programs but here’s what my usual week looks like:

Monday - OHP/Shoulders/Triceps
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Deadlift/Back/Traps (really kills the grip)
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Bench/Chest/Biceps
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Squats/Legs/Calves

My routine is nothing special, just making sure I’ve got a rest day before any big lift day so I can be fully rested and focused/excited for the next day but what’s helped more than anything, since I don’t really care about gaining lean muscle, is that I eat a ton which is why I’m still getting gains after 6 months of hard lifting.

what exactly is a ton? and what kinds of foods? i find it really really hard to eat enough when it isn’t the weekend because in the morning i have literally zero appetite and i just get a bowl of oats and stuff down like 800 kcal or something. i try to drink 2l of milk per day… any tips?

[quote]Xanes wrote:

what exactly is a ton? and what kinds of foods? i find it really really hard to eat enough when it isn’t the weekend because in the morning i have literally zero appetite and i just get a bowl of oats and stuff down like 800 kcal or something. i try to drink 2l of milk per day… any tips?[/quote]

Eat anyway. I am rarely hungry ever, but I still eat because I have to.

I was at roughly the same deadlift/squat/bench at about 5 months of lifting. I think my overhead press was quite a bit better, but I’m not totally sure what it was (with a barbell anyway) - with DBs i was doing 40kg (88lbs) for 6 reps…

I think the numbers are pretty good, but I’m not sure since I started out in a commercial gym and flew past everybody. What’s more important is how much progress you make over the next 2-3 years, since it will be way harder to make progress once you’re past the initial stages. It’s taken me a very very long ass time to make any progress from those initial 6 months or so. Even though I did continue to look better (slightly), weights didn’t go up much and I didn’t really believe it when people were telling me I looked bigger/leaner/better.

I honestly have no idea what kind of numbers you’d need for a meet, I know I wouldn’t want to go unless I was competitive so I’d probably wait a couple of years… but I don’t know.

Keep it up