Decent/No BS Bodybuilding Books?

Just wondering what some decent & accurate bodybuilding books are. Could have info on training, diet, whatever, as long as it’s not full of BS like some books are.

I’ve not read any by the way, including any of Arnie’s, so please throw some suggestions at me.

Thanks.

[quote]Vanch wrote:
Just wondering what some decent & accurate bodybuilding books are. Could have info on training, diet, whatever, as long as it’s not full of BS like some books are.

I’ve not read any by the way, including any of Arnie’s, so please throw some suggestions at me.

Thanks.[/quote]

If you’ve not read any books on bodybuilding, how do you know that some books are full of BS? Which ones could you even be referring to?

For the topic at hand, do you mean the actual sport of bodybuilding, or more just general weight training related books? I’ve read a lot on powerlifting and strength training, not much on bodybuilding.

Not sure what your definition of bullshit is. That varies depending on the reader.

I have somewhere between 200-300 books on strength, hypertrophy ,performance, nutrition etc…so will recommend a few on what you may find interesting.

Lean Gain Principles - Shelby Starnes and Steve Colescott. Good book on nutrition and how to still make gains whilst staying lean.

Dr. Jekyll and M.r Hyde - Christian Thibaudeau and Anthony Roberts. A unique book giving you a science lesson in hypertrophy and chemical enhancement. Very rare to have an author discuss performance enhancing drugs but this book gives you the full picture of how it really is.
Black Book of Training Secrets - Christian Thibaudeau . Before Christian was writing about non eccentric training, isometric ring holds, Olympic lifts and clusters he was writing brilliant books like this one.

Science And Practice of Strength Training - Vladimir Zatsiorsky and William Kraemer. Not exactly a bodybuilding book but if you ever wanted to know the hows and whys of training then this is the book. Possibly the best there is.

Poliquin Principles - Charles Poliquin . It’s a book that should be read even though in my opinion it could have been done a lot better and it does have a few typos/mistakes in it. Having said that it is very easy to follow and you will understand all his principals easily without going into deep science. I often think this book is a bit too basic for Poliquin but that was most likely his point.
Modern Trends In Strength Training by Poliquin is far better in my opinion and a lot more useful but is strength orientated.

Championship Bodybuilding - Chis Aceto. I’m reading this at the moment. It’s very good with lots of useful information that you can use straight away.

Will add more tomorrow.

I’ve read numerous reviews from people saying things like “Arnold’s book is full of shit” and other reviews saying “it’s the best bodybuilding book I’ve ever read”. I’m sick of the conflicting information that’s so prevalent online, so I’m looking for a no bullshit book. Simple.

[quote]Vanch wrote:
I’ve read numerous reviews from people saying things like “Arnold’s book is full of shit” and other reviews saying “it’s the best bodybuilding book I’ve ever read”. I’m sick of the conflicting information that’s so prevalent online, so I’m looking for a no bullshit book. Simple.[/quote]
No it’s not that simple at all. People have opinions and opinions will always differ. One person may want to be just told how it’s done and that is all whilst others will want an explanation as to how the author came to that conclusion.
Even the information itself can be can be conflicting. That’s why it pays to read from many different authors.

All books have varying degrees of bullshit in them. If you don’t have the real life experience to seperate the fact from the shit, or the relevant from the irrelevant, you would be better off just getting advice from the big guys in the gym right now.

[quote]Vanch wrote:
I’ve read numerous reviews from people saying things like “Arnold’s book is full of shit” and other reviews saying “it’s the best bodybuilding book I’ve ever read”. I’m sick of the conflicting information that’s so prevalent online, so I’m looking for a no bullshit book. Simple.[/quote]

So…you go online for information…to help get past all the conflicting information that’s so prevalent online…

[quote]Vanch wrote:
It’s almost like you should read it for yourself to see how awesome or shitty it is. Simple.

Also, any of the books mentioned here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/searchResults.jsp?cx=016420786931182441572%3Akswwmllusns&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=bodybuilding+books&siteurl=tnation.T-Nation.com%2Ffree_online_forum%2Fsports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner%2Fwhat_are_some_decentno_bs_bodybuilding_books&ref=&ss=904j317122j4

http://www.T-Nation.com/searchResults.jsp?cx=016420786931182441572%3Akswwmllusns&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=training+books+thread&siteurl=tnation.T-Nation.com%2Ffree_online_forum%2Fsports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner%2Fwhat_are_some_decentno_bs_bodybuilding_books&ref=&ss=568j322624j2

I haven’t read Arnie’s book from cover to cover, but it seems like a great reference book…hence encyclopedia.

Perosnally, I prefer the books by Jim Wendler, Dan John, Mark Rippetoe. The majority of their stuff is strength based, but what you’ll learn about lifting and nutrition is better imo than any ‘pure’ bodybuilding book I’ve read. They are also enjoyable reads as well. I would read these, and then use programs from articles on this site. Christian Thibedeau writes and posts a lot of good bodybuilding stuff.

Beyond Bodybuilding by Pavel

Jailhouse strong by josh Bryant

A Portrait of Dorian yates

Read 10 Dan John Articles here

Perfectly said.

If the OP continues his quest for “no BS truth” without first putting in his dues and building a base, he’ll likely join the ranks of the myriad skinny fat “anti BBing” crusaders you find online instead of trying to get to the level of Gregron, Double Deuce and the other impressive natural lifters on this site.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
All books have varying degrees of bullshit in them. If you don’t have the real life experience to seperate the fact from the shit, or the relevant from the irrelevant, you would be better off just getting advice from the big guys in the gym right now.[/quote]

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
[/quote]

This book changed my life. I say this without hyperbole.

Other great reads

“Powerlifting Basics: Texas Style” by Paul Kelso. One of those books where, you read it the first time and think it’s cute and has some funny stories, and then the more times you read it, the more stuff you get out of it. I make it a policy to read it at least once every year.

“Super Squats”. Yeah, the whole “30lbs in 6 weeks” thing is gimmicky, but it’s a great read on the history of the squat and highly motivating. I originally picked up the book just to see what all the fuss was about for 20 rep squats, and by the time I was done with it (which was in one sitting, since I couldn’t put it down) I was comitted to starting the program the next day.

If you want real “No BS”, as in zero fluff or filler, Matt Kroczaleski’s new book “Insane Training” is just that. Very dry, lots of percentages and programs, but lot of good stuff. I’m presently running his bench program, just finished week 5, and everything is moving great so far.

[quote]Vanch wrote:

You do know this is the internet and no one is going to agree 100%. As long as reviews don’t devolve into homophobic and rapping threats its pretty much a win for the internet.

If the book is from a relatively big and strong person they probably have at least a few things good to say.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[/quote]

“Powerlifting Basics: Texas Style” by Paul Kelso. One of those books where, you read it the first time and think it’s cute and has some funny stories, and then the more times you read it, the more stuff you get out of it. I make it a policy to read it at least once every year.

[/quote]

definitely going to check this out

definitely going to check this out[/quote]

Awesome. I hope you enjoy it. It’s not a terribly long read (maybe 100 pages), but Kelso is a great story teller.