Decent Beginning Strength?

Hi All,

Just a question about lifting potential.

The first time i ever lifted weights began early last year and i thoroughly enjoyed it, though it concluded after about 4 months due to financial issues and time constraints.
Anyway, my friends who lift agree that i have a fairly good level of natural strength so last night i hit the gym for the first time in almost a year and decided to see where my strength was at (I do prefer strength training more than bodybuilding because i love the idea of the little guy with freaky strength.)

I just want to post some numbers and get some feedback on if these are decent for essentially a complete beginner and if i should invest some serious time into strength training (Also i’m am aware there are a few threads on personal lifting numbers but I’d like to know if i am doing quite well as a base).

Here are figures, some were authentic max efforts and others were converted from repetitions into max effort estimates using a not-too-reliable conversion calculator.

Height: 181cm (5’11 and a bit).
Weight: 176 lbs.

Flat Bench: 210 lbs - 1.19 x bw
1-Arm Dumbbell Row: 102 lbs - 0.58 x bw
Strict Military Press (Standing): 157 lbs - 0.90 x bw
Barbell Shrug: 225 lbs - 1.27 x bw
Pull up (Pronated Grip): BW + 50lbs
Dip: BW + 55 lbs
Power Clean: 198.5 lbs - 1.12 x bw
Traditional Deadlift: 365 lbs (had more in the tank but grip failed). - 2.07 x bw

I don’t know if people are going to call bulls*$t but i have nothing to prove, just curious. I have long arms so i naturally struggle with bench and suffer from lumbar disk inflammation so i steer clear and heavy squatting.

Anyway, hope someone can shred some light on these numbers and if they are decent for an essentially first time lifter, maybe some tips to help on bench and some goals to aim for within the next year. Cheers.

i doubt there are people that are all that stronger “naturally” than others

i think its just your CNS being more effective than others. those numbers arent all that hard to reach even without weightlifting if you’ve done other stuff.

also the 4 months if you trained right definitely help. i’d expect some numbers kinda like the ones you have from someone that trained right for 4 months at your bodyweight.

do you remember your numbers back when you ended those 4 months?

btw max effort estimates from a calculator mean nothing. 5% more weight could mean going from 5 reps to 0 for some.

Who cares about beginning strength? It’s not the result of work, so who gives a damn?

All those lifts are low compared to active lifters, so get crackin!

You’re right Brant_Drake.

I guess it’s just a self-esteem thing where everyone would like to think they are something special.

I’ll hit it hard as soon as my backs a little better. Cheers for the feedback.

Oh, and lordstorm88, yeah i don’t think my old numbers weren’t much better. I had a better bench press but my grip strength and back injury have improved since so my deadlifts better. I’m still quite young so i could still be growing out and naturally getting stronger.

nothing boosts better your(or ok at least mine) self esteem more than a new PR. :slight_smile:

Yeah i hear you.

I said to my mate the other day, “It won’t be long before i’m deadlifting your car from the rear :P” Granted it is a tiny car but still, something to aim for.

[quote]VictorReed wrote:
I guess it’s just a self-esteem thing where everyone would like to think they are something special.
[/quote]

We’re all a bunch of special fuckers. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll say this once here…

the best competitor to you, is yourself. the best motivator to you, is yourself. If you bench 5 more pounds than you did 3 years ago, or 3 days ago. You have a reason to keep trying for more.

They call it an ego trip because to other’s it appears your fall on your face.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
VictorReed wrote:

We’re all a bunch of special fuckers. :P[/quote]

in one way or another :stuck_out_tongue: