T Nation

Debunking the Paleo Diet

I saw this presentation today and she gives some interesting point on how the food we have available today is very different that what is out there in the wild today and back then

Good find, thanks for sharing.

I’ve been waiting for intelligent responses to the Paleo-type movements – and I do consider vegetarian-based responses to be unintelligent – and this one questions some of Paleo’s most basic premises.

Also interesting that her conclusions are still in-line with those of Paleo: that the overabundance of corn, soy, wheat is increasingly problematic; emphasis on maintenance of gut flora; whole, fresh foods in their natural state as often as possible

She proves the paleo diet popular now is not what ancient paleos actually ate

She goes onto say that what is present day paleo is pretty much how you should eat.

She said paleos ate grain… Was it beneficial to them? It’s certainly not to us today- can’t dispute that.

Hate away, just watch the entire video first.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
It’s certainly not to us today- can’t dispute that.[/quote]

Says who?

1. She’s an archaeological doctor not a nutritional doctor.
    and
  2. the number one cause of death for Paleolithic man was malnutrition.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

1. She’s an archaeological doctor not a nutritional doctor.
    [/quote]
    I think thats important to keep in mind. The take away from the video is that Man is an omnivore so push come to shove we can eat whatever we want. You can be a raw food vegan or eat red meat 5 times a day just take some vitamins to fill in the holes and chances are you won’t die of malnutrition in this day and age.

Now what is optimum for health and performance? I wouldn’t trust an archaeologists opinion on such matters.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
She proves the paleo diet popular now is not what ancient paleos actually ate

She goes onto say that what is present day paleo is pretty much how you should eat.

She said paleos ate grain… Was it beneficial to them? It’s certainly not to us today- can’t dispute that.

Hate away, just watch the entire video first.[/quote]

Here is an article about why gluten/grains are NOT bad for you unless you have Celiac disease and/or are intolerable to them. This one is also interesting. He is talking about one of “marks daily apple” articles which are extremely pro paleo and how he took one study way out of context. It is all very interesting to see the other sides opinions.

www.outlawfitnesshq.com/why-grains-and-gluten-arent-bad-for-you/
www.outlawfitnesshq.com/the-paleo-diet/

I love Lewis Black’s line about this: “Apparently we’ve been eating the wrong stuff since the dawn of civilization.”

Very interesting. Glad I watched. She points out some interesting, but also some rather intuitive things. Of course cultivated fruits are largely different, but I didn’t realize the extent to which humans have modified veggies as well! It’s amazing to think the extent of time it would have taken to be foragers, having to gather, process and chew whatever could be found. That would really take time. The take home lessons: 1) diversity is key (corn soy wheat - are the modern trend, which is opposite to what is truly paleo). 2) Eating food when ripe and fresh. Preserving foods naturally (inhibiting bacterial growth). We evolved to eat whole foods in their natural package. Your food is not just the sum of the cals and vits. The fiber you eat modulate metabolism and has all sorts of functions (feeds the good bacteria). again, the 3 take homes are 1) Biodiversity is key 2) eat fresh when possible 3) we need to eat whole foods.

I don’t exactly see how those points “debunk” the paleo diet. Further, besides stating that preservatives may jack up your gut mucosa/natural flora, she doesn’t, for whatever reason, discuss that avoiding environmental pollutants also contribute to this. Paleolithic man didn’t encounter this stuff: http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/pdf/NER_Chemical_List.pdf

Interesting video. I do agree with some of the principles from the paleo diet, but I believe humans have adapted enough to tolerate foods outside the ancient paleo diet. That is not saying I believe some of the processed crap available today is good for us, but I think eating beyond paleo diet is not a problem and there is no need to be fully on one side or the other.

I do agree lean meat, veggies, fruit, nuts should form the basis of most people’s diets, but moving beyond that to certain grains is not a problem for a lot of people. It becomes individualistic to how people react to certain grains, caloric needs. At the end of the day our lifestyles are far different to our ancestors and there is a huge difference to the lifestyle of most people on this site, to your typical couch potato.

Still it is scary to think how much foods we grow has changed.

ev-o-lu-tion: the gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.

Awesome, I was just thinking about posting something such as this the other day as this whole paleo thing really gets me. My views on what I see wrong with it:

1. (Probably the biggest one). Hunter gatherers ate this way not out of choice, not because they wanted to lose abit of body fat or gain some muscle, but out of necessity, they didn’t have a choice. They ate for survival and that meant eating based on availability.

2. It basically says that no better source of food as come about in the last 100 000 years. Now I don’t know for sure but I can be pretty sure in saying that if cave man had access to raw milk and whey protein they would have damn had it, they ate for survival, not because it was what they thought was healthy for them or not.

However, and this is a huge however, if 99% of the population converted to paleo the world would be a healthier place, but not because everyone was eating ‘paleo’ but because everyone would be getting sufficient macro AND micronutrient from plants, fruit, nuts, seeds and meat.

Hull