Debra's Attempt at a Log

Thanks for the criticisms :smiley: And Court, your new avatar is awesome.

Hi Debra,

Just to chip in with Speed and Court here is pic of a front squat with elbows up. As court said it takes a little while to find the right position. Anyway i hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks damo, it definitely helps.

Unfortunately, it seems I have the flu. I’ve been fighting it for a few days, kept going to work but I’m not winning. Came home early today. I just weighed myself and I’m down 5 more pounds. Yikes. No wonder I feel like hell. I hope this doesn’t continue. No more running or working out until this passes I suppose :frowning: I’ve lost a 1/2 inch from my waist and I don’t think in a good way. Back to bed.

Get some rest Debra, the gym will be there when you are better and I hope you feel better soon :slight_smile:

Thanks Ronda! I think I’m getting a bit better :slight_smile: I think by tomorrow I’ll be fine. That’s what I’m going to insist on at least :smiley:

This might help too:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Front%20Squat.mpg

Although he starts out perfect and leans forward as he descends, effectively causing the exact problem we’re trying to prevent. He needs to keep his chest out and chin up more in the hole.

Thanks sdspeedracer.

I believe I’m fully recovered from the flu and well now attempt to get my lost weight back. And thanks to some encouragement here I’ve actually added an avatar.

I did recover one of my drives from my dead pc and dug out my spreadsheet from last year with my measurements before working out, some serious changes! I wish I had a pic of around that time. I just have some intermediate ones and I’m wearing baggy clothes so you can’t really see much.

From May 2007(in inches because they’re less precise :D):

Calf: 14 3/4
Thigh: 24
Hips: 40.5
Waist: 31.5
Chest(band): 31.5
Chest: 42.5
Bicep: 10.5

Currently:

Calf: 14 3/4 (unchanged)
Thigh: 22.5 (-1.5)
Hips: 36 (-4.5)
Waist: 24.5 (-7 this one I am shocked by, that is 1/2 an inch from what my thigh was :O)
Chest(band) 29.5 (-2)
Chest: 37 (-5.5 that’s a few cups for sure!)
Bicep 11.25 (+0.75)

I’m really glad I took those measurements.

Not very energetic today. I think I must still be weak from last week’s illness. I took some more video that I might post in a bit. I do think I did better with the squat though.

Sprints this morning:
400m @ 96s
400m @ 96s
400m @ 100s
400m @ 100s

This afternoon:
bench
85x5x4

squats:
85x5x5

power cleans:
85x5x5

dl:
120x5x5

Glad you are feeling better!

And you are so very right about the measurements!!
It’s the only thing that keeps me sane, since I can never get the scale to cooperate! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks mom-in-MD :slight_smile:

So true–the measurements are the only way I can objectively see things. My mind appears to be too bent to trust the mirror or pictures even. And the scale, forget it! I’m often only 5 lbs away from overweight according to my BMI. I still weigh myself a lot but I don’t think much of the value but just watch for large changes.

I’m about to go for a run but I can’t decide between hills or distance. 5k hilly trail or 7k-10k level river path.

The scale is always so mean to me*pout…
I weigh/measure myself every two weeks, and if I haven’t lost any inches, I usually don’t bother weighing myself…

You must be doing something right, though!! :smiley:

I think I’ve gotten a handle on the squats now. Thanks for all the help! It really made a big difference.

Does anyone know of any kind of way to gauge sprints? What’s a decent time? I can’t find anything online and it’d be nice to know.

I finally called the gym today where the powerlifters go but apparently they are unstaffed for most of the time and don’t actually have any coaches. Hmmph. I don’t know what gym to try next. I’ve have to ask around some more.

I’m motivating myself to try for some PRs as Ronda has suggested. The bench is tricky while I’m by myself though. This is why I need to go to a gym!

This morning:
Hilly 5k in the rain. It was actually kind of nice in the rain except I’m ashamed to say I wore running tights. I once swore I never would but I just could bring myself to put on regular jogging pants.

This afternoon:

Sprints:
400m @ 82s (yay!)
400m @ 82s (double yay!)
400m @ 100s …Then I just about died.

Tonight: I was pretty exhausted. Too much work in one day perhaps. Now I feel like my legs are going to fall off.

bench
90x5x2 -then I failed and had to crawl out from under the damn bar. Oops!
85x5x3

squats:
85x5x5

power cleans: After checking some more video, I think I’m getting the hang of these. I’ll keep the weight where it is until I think I’m good with the form.
85x5x5

dl:
120x5x5

Yesterday, ran 7k. I think I should be reconsidering the longer runs but I don’t want to! I’ll keep thinking about that.

Today, ran intervals for just over 20 min, alternating 1 min @9.5mph and then 1 min walking.

Lifted the same as Monday. Too long a day at work and too tired to increase any weight.

I uploaded a low quality deadlift video if anyone cares to criticize :slight_smile:

hmm video not showing up still. Let me try this instead.

It’s a little bit hard to say as the ideal hieght for a DL to start at is with 45lb plates. It is difficult to achieve this when you don’t have bumpers though or you are not yet able to lift at least 135, which from what I saw I think you are.

I couldn’t tell if teh bar was traveling up your leg like it should just from the angle but I think it was on all but your first rep. Your hips also raised a little bit faster then they should but not bad at all. I think out of all the reps I like your bottom position the best on the fourth one, it looked nice and low and not like you as bent and reaching. All in all though pretty good!
:slight_smile:

Thanks Ronda! I’ll try and get a better angle next time. I just want to make sure I get my form better before I up the weight. That was 120lb and I feel I could go much higher.

I do think I need to bring the bar closer to my legs. But I fear the pain :o Even with socks or pants I seem to have a hard time when the bar hits my shins.

I agree with what Ronda said. Get that butt down and treat it more like a squat. Your hips seem to be moving a fair bit before the bar comes off the ground. (I used to do this too apparently).

Also, you seem to be rocking a bit once you do get it lifted up which makes me think the weight isn’t that tough for you. If you were to put a bit more weight on, it might force you into the proper form because you won’t be able to just muscle it and straight-leg it up.

Can I just say I’m so jealous that you can workout in your sports bra? Our gym is so hot sometimes that I feel like doing that, but I think it would draw a bit too much of the wrong kind of attention to me. People already watch a “girl” lifting heavy.

Wear pants when you DL then. I can’t say I don’t have shin bruises ever week but it’s not like I am losing skin either. Besides I don’t really think you have to worry about real pain until your weight really goes up. Even for me now at 245, granted I only do 1 or 2 reps, but it only stings a little and that is only sometimes.

More weight eh? I might have to give that a try. I should quit being so chicken :wink:

heh, working out at home I have occasionally worn my running skirt with the knee high socks for my shins that happen to be black, white a red stripes. I’m sure that’s a sight! I wouldn’t dare do that in public! I’ll have to adjust my attire when I do venture out into the real world.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yesterday afternoon:

Sprints:
4 X 400m
84s
90s
90s
100s

Last night:

bench
90x5x5

squats:
90x5x5

power cleans:
90x5x5

dl:
120x5x5

This morning: a nice, level, easy, slow 5k.

I think my deadlift got a bit better after listening to feedback but I think my hips still come up too quickly. Anyways, I took another video. Unfortunately you can see my terrible Nixon-era carpet in my basement.

[video]987[/video]