T Nation

Debating Starting A Cycle

Hey guys,
I joined this forum recently and have read the past messages. a lot of good info is found here, especially the info for teens who want to start cycles. heres my story I am 31 yrs old and started lifting late. I have been lifting for a year and half. I have seen some results, but of course not the results i want. i weigh 170 pounds and no matter what i do I cannot pack on size.

here my eating habits: 730am 4 packets of oatemeal with a protien shake. at 1030am i have 4 eggs, oj and 3 hasbrowns. at 130pm i eat a chicken breast with 2 baked potatos. 430 pm an apple, a protein bar and handful of peanuts. I workout at about 5:30 pm for bout an hour( i have cut down my training as i felt i was overtraining)then at 700pm 2 chicken breast or a some meat with a cup of brown rice and some veggies. at 10 just before bed i ll have a 25 grams of protein in a shake with a side of some cottage cheese and some and teaspoon of olive oil. I have debated about starting a cycle and have done my research.

I have some websites that sell gear( i wont mention them)i want to bulk up but i am so frustrated. can you guys give me any advice??? i am sure u have heard it before…

1.5 years is not nearly enough time to get even close to your potential.

I think you can still get away with eating more. Make sure you get more fat in your diet especially. You could look into the Anabolic Diet (large thread on this site devoted to this diet). Definitely you should have some kind of workout nutrition going on here, which it seems you are missing.

Next: How is your rest? Do you get enough sleep at night? Sleep is when your body naturally releases most of it’s growth hormone.

Water: Drinking enough water? Make sure you are getting at least a gallon a day.

Workout: Care to detail your workout plan for us?

Simply put, it is impossible for you to be at or near your genetic limit with only 1.5 years of lifting under your belt.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
1.5 years is not nearly enough time to get even close to your potential.

I think you can still get away with eating more. Make sure you get more fat in your diet especially. You could look into the Anabolic Diet (large thread on this site devoted to this diet). Definitely you should have some kind of workout nutrition going on here, which it seems you are missing.

Next: How is your rest? Do you get enough sleep at night? Sleep is when your body naturally releases most of it’s growth hormone.

Water: Drinking enough water? Make sure you are getting at least a gallon a day.

Workout: Care to detail your workout plan for us?

Simply put, it is impossible for you to be at or near your genetic limit with only 1.5 years of lifting under your belt.[/quote]

thanks graphics man,
yeah i could stand to drink more water. i get at least 6 hours of sleep.
k here is my workout plan:

mon: biceps and triceps. my arms just donot seem to get any circumfrence. that is why i limit my arm exercises to 3 sets, 10 reps, as i believe i was overworking them.

Tues: chest( more intense with more reps as i have read chest is a bigger body part and be worked harder?

wed: dayoff

Thru : legs,calf raises, squats(could i stand to work legs more?)

fri: shouldres again for the execrcises i do 3 sets with 10 reps, as i do not want to overwork them as they are a small muscle group

sat and sun off.

So again in reading the forum i know legs are important, so how many times a week can they be worked?
i hope 31 is not too late to get a buff physice thanks

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]kliq76 wrote:

thanks graphics man,
yeah i could stand to drink more water. i get at least 6 hours of sleep.
k here is my workout plan:

mon: biceps and triceps. my arms just donot seem to get any circumfrence. that is why i limit my arm exercises to 3 sets, 10 reps, as i believe i was overworking them.

Tues: chest( more intense with more reps as i have read chest is a bigger body part and be worked harder?

wed: dayoff

Thru : legs,calf raises, squats(could i stand to work legs more?)

fri: shouldres again for the execrcises i do 3 sets with 10 reps, as i do not want to overwork them as they are a small muscle group

sat and sun off.

So again in reading the forum i know legs are important, so how many times a week can they be worked?
i hope 31 is not too late to get a buff physice thanks[/quote]

I think that for beginners (at least) full body training is the way to go. You should not be anywhere near overtraining on the amount of lifting that you listed. 6 hours of sleep/night is enough for some people, but most need 7-9 hours for good recovery.

I would suggest the following:
*Drink more water.
*Try to get a bit more sleep
*Look into some of the beginner training programs, especially full body training.
*Eat bigger. Don’t neglect your fats.

Give this a try, when your progress stagnates, switch to a new training program, maybe an upper/lower split. Continue switching programs as needed, and upping caloric intake as needed (if you’re not putting on a pound/week, up the calories). Try applying this and you will not be disappointed.

[quote]kliq76 wrote:
thanks graphics man,
yeah i could stand to drink more water. i get at least 6 hours of sleep.
k here is my workout plan:

mon: biceps and triceps. my arms just donot seem to get any circumfrence. that is why i limit my arm exercises to 3 sets, 10 reps, as i believe i was overworking them.

Tues: chest( more intense with more reps as i have read chest is a bigger body part and be worked harder?

wed: dayoff

Thru : legs,calf raises, squats(could i stand to work legs more?)

fri: shouldres again for the execrcises i do 3 sets with 10 reps, as i do not want to overwork them as they are a small muscle group

sat and sun off.

So again in reading the forum i know legs are important, so how many times a week can they be worked?
i hope 31 is not too late to get a buff physice thanks[/quote]
31 is by no means too late. If anything when you do gear up you’ll be ready. I do agree that you should put in a bit more time in the gym before gearing up.

However, unlike a teenager I won’t protest nearly as loudly if you were to run 500mg of Test a week for a couple months to see. The problem with gearing up so early in your career is that it will be tough to gauge what is you and what is the gear

Why wait?

It is clear you don’t have a lot of experience, but you are also 31 years old.

Trying to reach some mythical “genetical potential” is stupid. If everyone waited until this point, no one would go on.

If you want to start taking shit, go for it. However, to make the most out of it, do yourself a favor and learn how to train yourself. Bust your ass but learn what works for you in the gym.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
Why wait?

It is clear you don’t have a lot of experience, but you are also 31 years old.

Trying to reach some mythical “genetical potential” is stupid. If everyone waited until this point, no one would go on.

If you want to start taking shit, go for it. However, to make the most out of it, do yourself a favor and learn how to train yourself. Bust your ass but learn what works for you in the gym. [/quote]

I sort of agree with some of that.

I think trying to hit your natural limit is kind of pointless because you could spend years to gain those last few pounds. However, it is important to be somewhat close to that point.
Without adequate training naturally, the body may not be able to deal with the quicker increase in strength and size that steroids produce. 31 isn’t that old, but it is well past the point where the body is most efficient in recovering. So all that adds up to a greater chance of injury.

thanks for the feedback guys. I will focus more on my nutrition and training and do a more reasearch.If I want to get information on what’s available for me and start to do more studing and learn more, for when the time comes that I want to jucie, where can i found good info ? thanks again

thanks for the feedback guys. I will focus more on my nutrition and training and do a more reasearch.If I want to get information on what’s available for me and start to do more studing and learn more, for when the time comes that I want to jucie, where can i found good info ? thanks again

If you don’t know how to train or eat, no amount of gear will be worth the cost.

Learn to eat and lift. That’ll take about a year, maybe more.

I started when I was 32. 160 pounds. I’m 225 six years later. No gear. While I know, no big deal, but don’t think you can’t do it without.

As for me, I’m learning as much as I can before my first cycle. I have the eating and lifting down solid. Shoot, by the time my first time comes along, it’ll probably be HRT, fer chrissakes. But it’ll be killer.

[quote]kroby wrote:
If you don’t know how to train or eat, no amount of gear will be worth the cost.

Learn to eat and lift. That’ll take about a year, maybe more.

I started when I was 32. 160 pounds. I’m 225 six years later. No gear. While I know, no big deal, but don’t think you can’t do it without.

As for me, I’m learning as much as I can before my first cycle. I have the eating and lifting down solid. Shoot, by the time my first time comes along, it’ll probably be HRT, fer chrissakes. But it’ll be killer.[/quote]

Wow kroby,
you were lighter than me( iam a 31):)thats damn good 225. What was your body type like, tall and lanky, thats me…

[quote]kliq76 wrote:

Wow kroby,
you were lighter than me( iam a 31):)thats damn good 225. What was your body type like, tall and lanky, thats me…

[/quote]

5’10", just plain thin. Didn’t know crap until I found this site.

[quote]kroby wrote:
kliq76 wrote:

Wow kroby,
you were lighter than me( iam a 31):)thats damn good 225. What was your body type like, tall and lanky, thats me…

5’10", just plain thin. Didn’t know crap until I found this site.[/quote]

you use any supplements, creatine,etc?

[quote]kliq76 wrote:

you use any supplements, creatine,etc?[/quote]

creatine, Surge, Whey, Spike, ZMA, Carb 19, Alpha Male, glucosamine and chondroitin complex, BCAA’s, fish oil… not all at the same time, right now, but these are in my cupboard. Right now I take everything except AM, carb 19, BCAA’s. And I eat a lot of food.

[quote]kroby wrote:
kliq76 wrote:

you use any supplements, creatine,etc?

creatine, Surge, Whey, Spike, ZMA, Carb 19, Alpha Male, glucosamine and chondroitin complex, BCAA’s, fish oil… not all at the same time, right now, but these are in my cupboard. Right now I take everything except AM, carb 19, BCAA’s. And I eat a lot of food.[/quote]

Thanks dude!

hi guys,
quick question, since i am gonna put off doing a cycle for a while, i was wondering if taking 6xo by egophram is worth it. or the nolvadex xt by gaspari… thanks. what might i get could results from, since they are both test boosters. thanks again

[quote]kliq76 wrote:
hi guys,
quick question, since i am gonna put off doing a cycle for a while, i was wondering if taking 6xo by egophram is worth it. or the nolvadex xt by gaspari… thanks. what might i get could results from, since they are both test boosters. thanks again[/quote]

don’t waste your money

[quote]firestanggt wrote:
kliq76 wrote:
hi guys,
quick question, since i am gonna put off doing a cycle for a while, i was wondering if taking 6xo by egophram is worth it. or the nolvadex xt by gaspari… thanks. what might i get could results from, since they are both test boosters. thanks again

don’t waste your money[/quote]

thanks firestanggt!

i was reading through your workout splits, do you even train your back? If your arms have no circumference, try pullups and heavy rowing (with strict form)