T Nation

Debate With Wife

My wife and I had a spirited debate last night over milk, whey powder and hormones. …why little things like this turn into arguments, I have no idea… She is firmly in the anti-milk camp. I can take it or leave it. I’ve searched the site …over 200 hits… and read some pretty interesting articles …Berardi, Willson, Lowrey etc… I don’t want to go over the whole pro-con milk thing, seems there is enough evidence/ammo for both sides to make either case.

My question is, which was a major part of the spirited discussion, do protein powders, either whey or casein, end up with concentrated amounts of crap?given the assumption that milk is crap in the first place.

Fyi ?I was an anti milk person at one time, all my info came from www.notmilk.com, which some of you may be aware of, but it?s my opinion now that this guy is over the top in his claims.

The crap that ends up in your food is universal. That steak you ate? Its content was influenced by hormones and crap. All them fresh vegetables? The contents of them is influenced by the soil composition. The soil composition is bad all over. Everything that you get has crap in it, even “organic” veggies. Sorry.

I really wouldn’t worry about protein powder, hell I wouldn’t worry about milk. Why do you think that there are mercury and PCB worries with salmon? Not because salmon are naturally mercury laden, but because of industrial waste. Fish in the potomac river are becoming hermaphroditic.

I fear, or suspect, that some of the anti sites out there are fueled by the likes of PETA for reasons other than a concern for human health.

A lot of people have “issues” with milk due to lactose intolerance or perhaps other reactions. I think this helps give false credence to claims that milk is unhealthy because there are plenty of people that react poorly to it.

Of course, if I reacted to milk and it made me “feel bad” or otherwise suffer in performance, I’d probably believe those things too.

However, for people that haven’t developed lactose intolerance or that don’t have other reactive issues to milk, it’s a great food product, assuming the high GI/II response is in line with your goals.

That’s my take anyway.

My take - chocolate milk = great post WO drink for poor people who cant afford Surge. Im not much of a milk drinker other than that.

Protein powder = Good. There are just too many people out there, from noobs to professional athletes at the highest level, that swear by it to make me think otherwise.

There just isn’t that much “crap” that is able to permeate the mamary tissue and make it in to the milk.

Then there is the question of actual uptake if the “crap” even enters your body.

Why is it necessary to take 500 mg. of amoxacillin when the active amount is only a small fraction of that?

  1. First pass syndrome- Most is rendered inert.
  2. Poor uptake- A large portion of the small amount that is not affected by first pass is not readily absorbed.
  3. Cellular uptake- Another obstacle to a compound becoming active in the body.

The antibiotic is just an example, but this happens to a greater or lesser degree with just about everything.

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:
My wife and I had a spirited debate last night over milk, whey powder and hormones. …why little things like this turn into arguments, I have no idea… She is firmly in the anti-milk camp. I can take it or leave it. I’ve searched the site …over 200 hits… and read some pretty interesting articles …Berardi, Willson, Lowrey etc… I don’t want to go over the whole pro-con milk thing, seems there is enough evidence/ammo for both sides to make either case.

My question is, which was a major part of the spirited discussion, do protein powders, either whey or casein, end up with concentrated amounts of crap?given the assumption that milk is crap in the first place.

Fyi ?I was an anti milk person at one time, all my info came from www.notmilk.com, which some of you may be aware of, but it?s my opinion now that this guy is over the top in his claims.
[/quote]

How can you have an argument over an assumption?

An assumption you seem to be on the fence about besides.

Milk is one of the best foods for you in my opinion. Protein, carbs, vit, D, calcium… GI bullshit aside. I rarely drink it stand alone and I’ve never been real into the GI ‘crap’ anyway. I think once foods are mixed it takes on a whole new absorption response. If I were concerned about the response, a tbsp of olive oil mixed would settle that concern for me.

But hey, I’m a WI guy who has never had an adverse reaction to milk.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
rugbyhit wrote:
My wife and I had a spirited debate last night over milk, whey powder and hormones. …why little things like this turn into arguments, I have no idea… She is firmly in the anti-milk camp. I can take it or leave it. I’ve searched the site …over 200 hits… and read some pretty interesting articles …Berardi, Willson, Lowrey etc… I don’t want to go over the whole pro-con milk thing, seems there is enough evidence/ammo for both sides to make either case.

My question is, which was a major part of the spirited discussion, do protein powders, either whey or casein, end up with concentrated amounts of crap?given the assumption that milk is crap in the first place.

Fyi ?I was an anti milk person at one time, all my info came from www.notmilk.com, which some of you may be aware of, but it?s my opinion now that this guy is over the top in his claims.

How can you have an argument over an assumption?

You’re not married are you?

I was writing on my wifes behalf. It’s her assumption/opinion/belief, whatever you want ot call it, that whey protein powder is NG.

An assumption you seem to be on the fence about besides.

Should have said, I can take it or leave it. I drink it occasionally and have no problem with GI or otherwise

Milk is one of the best foods for you in my opinion. Protein, carbs, vit, D, calcium… GI bullshit aside. I rarely drink it stand alone and I’ve never been real into the GI ‘crap’ anyway. I think once foods are mixed it takes on a whole new absorption response. If I were concerned about the response, a tbsp of olive oil mixed would settle that concern for me.

But hey, I’m a WI guy who has never had an adverse reaction to milk. [/quote]

Am I the only one wondering why the hell you are arguing with your wife? Let me use a joke to illustrate the solution to all your wife problems.

“Wife comes out of the kitchen into the living room to yell at her husband” Question: What did the husband do wrong? Answer: He made her chain too long.

Tell your wife to STFU and get back in the kitchen where she belongs - and to pour a nice glass of milk while she’s at it.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I fear, or suspect, that some of the anti sites out there are fueled by the likes of PETA for reasons other than a concern for human health.

A lot of people have “issues” with milk due to lactose intolerance or perhaps other reactions. I think this helps give false credence to claims that milk is unhealthy because there are plenty of people that react poorly to it.

Of course, if I reacted to milk and it made me “feel bad” or otherwise suffer in performance, I’d probably believe those things too.

However, for people that haven’t developed lactose intolerance or that don’t have other reactive issues to milk, it’s a great food product, assuming the high GI/II response is in line with your goals.

That’s my take anyway.[/quote]

I agree 100%.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Am I the only one wondering why the hell you are arguing with your wife? Let me use a joke to illustrate the solution to all your wife problems.

“Wife comes out of the kitchen into the living room to yell at her husband” Question: What did the husband do wrong? Answer: He made her chain too long.

Tell your wife to STFU and get back in the kitchen where she belongs - and to pour a nice glass of milk while she’s at it.[/quote]

After 16 years of marriage, communication comes in a lot of different forms. And if we can argue without it causing a riff in our relationship, then I have no problem with it. Besides, Im the one who is always right?.:wink:

I know you don’t want to debate the issue but here is a great article form Mel Siff on milk.

Milk:Take it Raw:
www.dolfzine.com/page185.htm

Take it raw? I give it raw baby.
There, I beat you all to it.

I drink raw milk because I think it’s healtheir and tastes better.
Thats my opinion,but I’m not gonna force it down peoples throat.
Just tell your wife that isn’t the pretty thing about being adults is talking about things in an adult manner?
Milk isn’t bad for you.
It can be if it comes from sick cows.
If it comes from healthy cows who aren’t shot with growth hormones or whatever,then why should your wife care?

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
Am I the only one wondering why the hell you are arguing with your wife? Let me use a joke to illustrate the solution to all your wife problems.

“Wife comes out of the kitchen into the living room to yell at her husband” Question: What did the husband do wrong? Answer: He made her chain too long.

Tell your wife to STFU and get back in the kitchen where she belongs - and to pour a nice glass of milk while she’s at it.

After 16 years of marriage, communication comes in a lot of different forms. And if we can argue without it causing a riff in our relationship, then I have no problem with it. Besides, Im the one who is always right?.:wink:

[/quote]

If you are the one that’s always right, you won’t be posting this on your wife’s behalf. j/k