T Nation

Death Threat

Hundreds of police prevent clash between Oxford demonstrators

Anushka Asthana, Jamie Doward and Diane Taylor
Sunday February 26, 2006

"Laurie Pycroft is a new breed of campaigner, a protester who protests against other protesters. Perhaps inevitably, his actions have antagonised the opposition.

The 16-year-old, who started a pro-animal testing website which sparked an unprecedented demonstration yesterday in support of his cause, has already received death threats and hate mail. 'One said, "We're going to f-ing kill you",' Pycroft told The Observer

Pycroft, who founded the group Pro-test four weeks ago, has received up to 30 threatening emails which have been forwarded to the police, who have installed a panic button in Pycroft's family home. 'They have advised me to back down a bit,' he said. Yesterday, though, he showed little intention of heeding police advice when he led a march of 800 people through Oxford in support of building an ?18 million biomedical research laboratory in the city, which is now the chief target among animal rights protesters. Under banners calling for humans to come first, the crowd chanted: 'No more threats, no more fear, animal research wanted here.' [...]"

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1718253,00.html

I'm quite sceptical of animal testing, and I would like to get rid of it, once science allows for it. But whatever the reasons, there is never ever any reason to threaten someone like this. Although I might not share his views, I think he is a T-Man for not backing down.

Makkun