T Nation

Death (the Band)

What are people’s thoughts on Death?

Only got into them recently - started exploring older death and black metal, really liking what I’m hearing.

Any recommendations similar to Death?

I’d like to see their concert poster…“DEATH LIVE!”

lol Nards!

Subterfuge is a good tune.

You should check our Entombed. Start here.

[quote]Pat_Pantera wrote:
[/quote]

They peaked around Human, then focused too much on the more technical aspects of their music at the expense of interesting songwriting. Whilst influential in their early years, I think they were a tad overrated.

He recorded Human with the guys from Cynic, so maybe if you want to start somewhere check out their first album, Focus. Other similar bands might include Pestilence, Atheist, (early) At The Gates and Gorguts.

You know, for future reference, asking these sort of questions on a metal forum might get you better/more responses.

first on the old school list is Deicide. still going strong and one of my favorites to see live.
also check out Morbid Angel, Obituary, Hellhammer, Bathory, Cannibal Corpse, Impetigo, and Carcass.
my #1 death metal band is Nile. you just can’t beat technical Egyptian death metal.

check out this site for some new stuff to listen to. http://www.razorbackrecords.com/

listen closely to this and think about your next trip to the doctor.
would be great music in a pediatrician’s office

Yeah, Death was pretty solid. Ever looked into Morbid Angel, (as someone mentioned) Entombed, older Suffocation, Mayhem, Immolation. Just a few that come to mind.

ALL HAIL CARCASS!

Human was Death’s best work but they have decent tracks on nearly every album. I strongly recommend Morbid Angel, everything before their newest album Illud… is worth havng, stay far clear of the new album. Straying off topic into more extreme death metal I’d also highly recommend Deeds of Flesh and Suffocation both are great bands.

[quote]Pat_Pantera wrote:

Only got into them recently - started exploring older death and black metal, really liking what I’m hearing.

Any recommendations similar to Death?[/quote]

Death was amazing. I was saddened by Chuck Schuldiner’s death.

They became more technical as time went on, but I still love their debut, Scream Bloody Gore, the most. Zombie Ritual is my favorite Death song.

Like others, I recommend Morbid Angel. I saw them live. I think their best album is Covenant. There are so many gems on that album: Rapture (pretty disturbing video for this song, you can find on You Tube), Blood on My Hands, Vengeance is Mine, and Angel of Disease. I think they went downhill with their album Domination.

I also recommend old Entombed (start with Left Hand Path), Dismember, Autopsy, Unleashed, and Dissection.

I also recommend Monstrosity, very similar to Morbid Angel.

Death

well, they are fucking awesome.

Personally I’m kind of in a ‘black and roll’-type phase.

Bands like I, Vreid, Kvelertak, newer Darkthrone, etc

good answers above, second most people’s recommendations. morbid angel, mayhem, and entombed = awesome. Also check out White Chapel and slayer. im sure most already kknow slayer but if not they are foundational. also while technically thrash they are heavy enough to be borderline death metal in the early days.

Personally I like sepultura as well, amd tend to stray towards the thrashier stuff rather than pure death metal so my opinions may not be any good.

http://www.metal-archives.com/

If you really want to find some metal this site lists over 90,0000 bands of different metal genres. groups from Archaeon(U.S.) to Fuck I’m Dead(Australia) to Resurrecturis(Italy) to Vader(Poland) to Zakhm(Iran). thousands of cd reviews and even has lyrics.
couple of my favorite songs

Sacrifice Unto Sebek by Nile
Sebek, Sochet, Suchos
Dread Lord of the Marsh
He Who Crawleth Amongst the Sacred Waters
And Devoureth the Flesh of That Which is Sacrificed unto Him
Tua Ashemu
Rekhes Au Sebek
Tua Ashemu
Tua Ashemu
Sebek, Neter, Ashemu
Whose Teeth Rendeth and Teareth With Terrible Violence