T Nation

Death Penalty for Child Rapists?

The USSC is going to take up the question of whether a person can receive the death penalty for child rape.

Currently, there is one person on death row, in Louisiana, for raping a child - in this case, his then 8-year-old stepdaughter.

30 years ago the USSC ruled that it was unconstitutional to apply the death penalty for rape of an adult, but the Court did not address the question of child rape.

More here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0432297020080104

If I had a vote, it would be yes - particularly with today's technology making it ever less likely that one could be falsely convicted.

ADDENDUM: Some further background info:

In recent years, five states have enacted laws allowing the death penalty for child rape and nine additional states and the federal government have seldom-used laws that allow death penalty convictions in certain instances that don't involve murder.

Rape, especially child rape is one of the most reprehensible crimes of our species and it should have already been approved for death penalty.

This is a tough one for me since I don't really believe that the State should be allowed to kill offenders, only to keep them from hurting anyone else.

If a crime this horrible were committed, and a jury deemed the perp to be worthy of death as a result, I would approve of letting the family of the victim put a bullet in his head.

But I guess the would have to do it from behind when he wasn't expecting it, or else the ACLU or somesuch would complain about "cruel and unusual suffering" etc.

Hell no! They should release the child rapist to the custody of the kid's parents. Or if the kid doesn't have parents, emasculate them. For some crimes, death is to kind a punishment.

DNA test clears man of rape 26 years later

[i]DALLAS - Three times during his nearly 27 years in prison, Charles Chatman went before a parole board and refused to admit he was a rapist. His steadfastness was vindicated Thursday, when a judge released him because of new DNA evidence showing he indeed was not.

The release of Chatman, 47, added to Dallas County's nationally unmatched number of wrongfully convicted inmates.

"Every time I'd go to parole, they'd want a description of the crime or my version of the crime," Chatman said. "I don't have a version of the crime. I never committed the crime. I never will admit to doing this crime that I know I didn't do."[/i]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22493315/

Off topic, I know, but what do you think the penalty for the bitch who ruined this guy's life should be?

I say the death penalty should definitely be allowed - for any rapist.

The bigger issue though, is to stiffen up minimum sentences and mandatory sentences. Even if they do rule in favor of the dp, we would very rarely ever see it implemented.

If not the death penalty, start chopping off shit.

A million $ for each year he was incarcerated, from the state. I'm assuming the victim was actually raped and actually tried to identify her attacker correctly.

maybe someone should whip her....

Which means assuming a lot since around 50% of all accusations of rape are fake.

Surprising little finding of the Austrian legal industry.

In a day and age where women accuse men of child molestation to better their chances in a divorce trial, combined with the jury system...

I would not go there.

Yes would be my vote...but watch all the trolls come out and say im racist or sexist for saying a kiddie rapist should be put to death....remember he could have been born loving lil kids and we are not allowed to say anything bad because its not a choice it was genetic.....fucking die!

These people are worth bringing the chair back.

Which is unfortunate, given that only 10% of rapes are even reported by victims. They have to deal with police who have reasonable doubt that the rape even took place.

It's reasons like these that I am for a nation-wide (hell, North-America-wide) DNA databank for dangerous offenders and people guilty of B&E (which makes them 60% likely to also have committed rape).

Back on topic, no to death penalty because of cases like that posted by lixy. Yes to hard labour. Get those prisoners digging mines, planting trees, and bagging manure. Anything profitable to pay back the State for their food and shelter.

ElbowStrike

Sadly, that's what the world is coming to. There's a political party in Holland that wants to make pedophilia legal. Someday, fucking a little 9 year old girl will be treated like gay marriage today --- "Who are you to judge? There is no right or wrong!"

A child rapist, proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, should get a red hot poker up the ass. Then the kindness of a bullet.

I can understand the motivation to want to kill someone. However I think the question we have to ask is what is more important. Taking revenge or getting kids out of abusive relationships.

A lot of theses cases involve family members. By making it a capital crime you put a child in the position where they either have to send family member to their death or keep quiet.

Children are not as vengeful as grown men are. I believe we should consider how a child would think and try to look at it the way they would, because quite often these cases are going to rely on their testimony. Making it a decision to kill someone is a hell of a burden to put on a child.

I think this is a case of good intentions taken to a point where they may be counter productive.

Don't you need to know the total rape figures in order to come up with that ratio? In which case, they're not "unreported" cases anymore, now are they?

I'd really like to know how you (or the relevant authority) came up with that figure.

Giving a child rapist the chair is the easy way out for him (her? Any females convicted of that?). I say lock him up with Bubba.

You're kidding, right? Let's see some references (no Ann Coulter please).

The trouble with this debate is the arbitrary age of consent. Technically, if you have sex with an 18 years old in Indonesia, you are a pedophile. Same thing with 17 years olds in many places. On the other hand, sex with a 12 year old in some places is considered normal.

If I was in charge, I'll take away the arbitrary age, commission a large study about when people hit puberty, take the average of the nation, add a year to that number (to round it up) and declare it national age of consent.

From a pragmatic point of view, I think promiscuity is an even bigger problem for society. Morally of course, kiddie rapists are right up there with killing babies and torturing puppies.

This actually happened to a buddy of mine. She accused my buddy's father. It was insane.

My buddy ended up with visitation rights luckily, because she was trying to take those away also.

Then do like the Chinese and fine the scum's family the cost of the bullet.

Oh, I believe we need a link for that one. 50%? I seriously doubt it....Somethings I am willing to take on faith, that number is too off the wall with out some sort of substantiation....

False accusations are tragic, not all are malicious some ore just serious mistakes, but 50%? That's very high...Rape, unfortunately is way to common for me to take that at face value.