T Nation

Death Metal

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Vegg wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
I was hoping someone else would like those bands, these are the bands I’m currently into as of now.

Good to see someone else listening to NeO. :smiley:

Agolloch and Opeth are also brilliant.

Face of Melinda is one of my absolute favorite opeth songs…

Oh yeah, they’re new album… Hmm. Porcellain Heart is kind of nice (though the song-structure/writing could use a little boost…), but the other stuff didn’t really do it for me (yet).

Don’t particularly like the drumming either. It’s so… Basic? Un-Jazzy? Hmm.

Maybe I just need to listen to the whole thing more… Still. I must confess that I’m somewhat disappointed.
[/quote]

Porcelain Heart was weaksauce.

Axe’s drumming fits the band better, although from seeing them lives countless times, he can do what Lopez does with the previous album, just style difference.

It’s deff. more of a prog album than anything else.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Vegg wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
I was hoping someone else would like those bands, these are the bands I’m currently into as of now.

Good to see someone else listening to NeO. :smiley:

Agolloch and Opeth are also brilliant.

Face of Melinda is one of my absolute favorite opeth songs…

Oh yeah, they’re new album… Hmm. Porcellain Heart is kind of nice (though the song-structure/writing could use a little boost…), but the other stuff didn’t really do it for me (yet).

Don’t particularly like the drumming either. It’s so… Basic? Un-Jazzy? Hmm.

Maybe I just need to listen to the whole thing more… Still. I must confess that I’m somewhat disappointed.

Porcelain Heart was weaksauce.[/quote] Still, it managed to hold my attention for slightly more than 3 seconds. The rest of the album somehow didn’t, not sure why exactly[quote]

Axe’s drumming fits the band better, although from seeing them lives countless times, he can do what Lopez does with the previous album, just style difference.

It’s deff. more of a prog album than anything else.
[/quote]

Ha, guess we think differently for once guys… Seriously though, I thought the death-metal (ish) parts were fairly… Weak… And the rest? Hm.

I’ll take Still Life, Blackwater Park and even some of the songs on ghost reveries or whatever it was called over any on the new album.

What are your favorite tracks on the new one? Maybe I just don’t pay enough attention…

Opeth need a real tech/jazz drummer.
I dunno what it is about Axenrot, but damn… I just fall asleep listening to him play…
And their metal parts need more bite … And the old atmosphere needs to come back :wink:

Still one of my fav. non-tech bands, of course.

Pessimist

Origin

Impaled

Probably the greatest metal video ever.

Entombed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdL-wNwXPCg

Sorry if I am posting stuff that has already been posted, but I’m too lazy to flip through all the pages.

Ok, so I just went through Opeth - Watershed several times again.

My level of appreciation for the album has risen about 3 percent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My level of appreciation for Martin Axenrot’s drumming has risen about… 2 percent.

Ok, he’s not always as terribly basic as during the beginning of heir apparent (hey, I thought I was listening to the AC/DC guy playing or something).

He even steps up his “game” quite a bit later on… But… Still… He’s not all that big on innovation, creativity and polys, is he? I guess he fits bloodbath well enough, at least.

As for the album as such… Meh. Sounds like Opeth put most of their other material into some sort of randomizer-program, hit the “remix” button and there you go… New album.
Riffs that kind of sound like Opeth, in a way, but are really rather… Bland… Common… Or so.
Opeth by the numbers lol
(I thought roughly the same about the new bloodbath album, The Fathomless Mastery.
It had way more moments than Watershed though. Still, seems like music by the numbers to me…
Not really terrible or anything, but somehow really damn far from exciting.

There were practically no great moments in there, nothing were I thought “hell yeah, opeth” or whatever.

Ok, I’ll shut up now. Gotta find some new, interesting albums…

What are your favorite tracks on the new one? Maybe I just don’t pay enough attention…
[/quote]

Hessian Peel? Lotus Eater?

Edit: C_C, you have some weird-ass opinions. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s their best since BWP. And I still don’t know why you think axe’s drumming is basic. :\ Some of it is next to impossible to play, while most of Lopez’s stuff was pretty easy.

Also, I was so un-bored by this album that I was able to listen to it in the gym. Probably the first prog album that I’ve ever done that with.

[quote]Vegg wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Hessian Peel? Lotus Eater?

Edit: C_C, you have some weird-ass opinions. [/quote] Ok, but I’m bigger than you, so my opinions count for more lol [quote] :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s their best since BWP. And I still don’t know why you think axe’s drumming is basic. :\ Some of it is next to impossible to play[/quote] Huh? Hmm. Give me some examples (song + time from when to when the passage you’re talking about goes) if you don’t mind? I mean, seriously, he seems like a totally standard death/thrash drummer to me? (non-technical death/thrash, that is)[quote], while most of Lopez’s stuff was pretty easy. [/quote] Agreed, though I’m actually not really comparing Axenrot to him all that much… You know, I think when I learned that they would get a new drummer and all that, I probably got my hopes up too much… I hoped for a different style/jazzier Opeth or something. Maybe that’s why I don’t like the album all that much.

I don’t even find it all that proggy lol :wink:

In the gym? That? Shit no, that’d make my weaker by 20 percent haha

Oh well… Guess I was just expecting something different.

Er.
They didn’t join nuclear-blast or so recently, did they? lol

Hmm. Give me some examples (song + time from when to when the passage you’re talking about goes) if you don’t mind? I mean, seriously, he seems like a totally standard death/thrash drummer to me? (non-technical death/thrash, that is)
[/quote]
Well I was speaking completely relative to my skill level/Lopez’s material of course. But, Lotus eater- 0:00-8:50. :stuck_out_tongue:
Plus the non death metal parts of Hessian Peel. His fills are particularly good in my opinion, and he throws them in like every 5 seconds, haha.

I don’t even find it all that proggy lol :wink:
[/quote]
Haha, are you kidding? The entire album reeks of 70s prog. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bloodbath! i only saw it mentioned a couple times in the thread (yes i searched). fucking awesome, i love their sound.

Anyone hear the new Warbringer yet? It already leaked.

It’s pretty god damn fucking great.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. Fucking amazing. That is all, back to my lurker status for the next couple years.

I was listening to some Nile while cruising down the highway tonight. Unfortunately there was no metal babe giving me road head.

Next time!

[quote]Rattler wrote:
I was listening to some Nile while cruising down the highway tonight. Unfortunately there was no metal babe giving me road head.

Next time![/quote]

I swear one starts encountering them more often as one’s own bodyweight reaches 250+.

:wink:

That new Warbringer is sick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jor6GYg5DM

I love these guys, they remind me of old Exodus.

www.myspace.com/devourment

www.myspace.com/devourment[/quote]

Interesting. I didn’t think you were a fan of that vocal style.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
www.myspace.com/devourment

Interesting. I didn’t think you were a fan of that vocal style.[/quote]

Guttural?

Yeah.

www.myspace.com/devourment[/quote]

iSLAMcore?

Dies Irae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBduWs5TuzI

Severe Torture