T Nation

Death Metal

Death metal is an extreme heavy metal subgenre. The genre is typically characterized by the use of heavily distorted guitars, harsh vocals that are low-pitched and/or growled, morbid lyrics, exceptionally fast-paced rhythms and melodies, frequent blast beats on drums, and complex song structures with multiple tempo changes.

Building off the speed and complexity of thrash metal, death metal came to true prominence by the mid 1980s.Bands like Slayer, Possessed and pioneer death metal bands such as Death and Morbid Angel are considered prime influences in the genre. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, death metal gained more media attention as popular record labels like Earache Records and Roadrunner Records began to sign death metal bands at a rapid rate. Since then, death metal has diversified, spawning a rich variety of subgenres.

Death metal has been met with considerable hostility from mainstream culture, mainly because of the socially unattractive themes, imagery and stage personae surrounding many bands. It is typically seen as an underground form of music, in part because it does not appeal to mainstream tastes due to its aggressive nature and because the musicians often choose to remain obscure.

Who’s into this shit as much as I am?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

Who’s into this shit as much as I am?

[/quote]

Me.

Grew up with Pantera/Slayer. Gradugated to Cannibal Copse, Six Feet Under, Decapitated etc etc etc.

I only listend to death metal or thrash in high school. I became more open to all types of music when I got out of school but I still listen to death metal when lifting.

I am really in to Acid Bath/Dax Riggs now.

Not death metal but I started listening to Pig Destoryer again. They f’n crazy.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Death metal is an extreme heavy metal subgenre. The genre is typically characterized by the use of heavily distorted guitars, harsh vocals that are low-pitched and/or growled, morbid lyrics, exceptionally fast-paced rhythms and melodies, frequent blast beats on drums, and complex song structures with multiple tempo changes.

Building off the speed and complexity of thrash metal, death metal came to true prominence by the mid 1980s.Bands like Slayer, Possessed and pioneer death metal bands such as Death and Morbid Angel are considered prime influences in the genre. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, death metal gained more media attention as popular record labels like Earache Records and Roadrunner Records began to sign death metal bands at a rapid rate. Since then, death metal has diversified, spawning a rich variety of subgenres.

Death metal has been met with considerable hostility from mainstream culture, mainly because of the socially unattractive themes, imagery and stage personae surrounding many bands. It is typically seen as an underground form of music, in part because it does not appeal to mainstream tastes due to its aggressive nature and because the musicians often choose to remain obscure.
[/quote]

I interviewed Decapiteded once, nice lads - shame one of them blew his brains out last year, and Anthrax (ok not Death but still metal as fuck). I’ve seen Satiracon and Darkthrone play a double set and been to Wacken 6 years in a row (as it always seems to fall on my birthday which is cool). I did SummerBreeze last year but my favorite bands seem to be from Finland and Germany. List as follows:Deicide, Immortal, Hypocray, Pain, Ammon Amarth, Marduk, Nile, Enslaved, The Haunted, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Cradel OF, Inflames, Immolation, Nocturnoculto, Dio, Carpathian Forest, Rotting Christ, Zyklon, Graveworm, Soilwork, At the Gates, Maiden (Obviously), Nightwish, Watain… Just to name a few, I could go on and on…

Favs at the moment include Turisas, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Magnum - guess it’s more power/battle metal than a other stuff right now - depens what mood I’m in.

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2008/main-bands/billing-2008/

More into Grindcore, ‘Godflesh’ particularly.

Most others of the genre are really cheesy.

[quote]wirewound wrote:

Most others of the genre are really cheesy.[/quote]

Oh yeah, nothing like support from a fellow Metalhead…

“If it’s not in your blood you’ll never understand” - Wacken 2006 Official Quote

Vitek died in a car accident.

Where can I see this interview of Decap?

[quote]wirewound wrote:

Most others of the genre are really cheesy.[/quote]

oh! oh! I love Godflesh, Streetcleaner \m/

I prefer thrash, but I also listen to plenty of grind and death. Grew up with Slayer and Pantera (my brother blasting “Vulgar Display of Power” @ 120 decibels = win. I started using earplugs when I rode in his car).

Entombed will always be the greatest, imo. As far as thrash goes, Evile is the best thing to come out of the UK in a long time.

Also, Behemoth’s “Apostasy” is some of the most accessible stuff I’ve heard in a while. My MOTHER likes it, for God’s sakes.

Okay, you guys are great so far… If I see one T-poster come in here and say “I’m really digging Slipknot and 10 Years right now, They’re hard as fuk!!” I swear I’ll do a “Dead” (*Detazathoth knows who that was and what a “Dead” would be, lol)

Yep. I’m a fan of Death and Extreme metal in general. I’ve been leaning more towards Black Metal in general, mostly because I’m a little picky about Death Metal. These days I’ve been listening to alot of:

Amon Amarth
The Black Dahlia Murder
Necrophagist
Pig Destroyer
Behemoth (Death/Black I guess)
Arsis
Darkest Hour (they’re disputable as ‘Metalcore’, but I guess I’d consider them Death)

I’m thinking we should start a Black Metal thread too…?

There would only be 3 people posting a black metal thread.

And I am going to bust your balls on Darkest Hour.

I found this site a few weeks ago and am still mining it for music. Awesome, awesome shit!

http://northernwarriors.blogspot.com/

Their compilations are badass too.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
I prefer thrash, but I also listen to plenty of grind and death. Grew up with Slayer and Pantera (my brother blasting “Vulgar Display of Power” @ 120 decibels = win. I started using earplugs when I rode in his car).

Entombed will always be the greatest, imo. As far as thrash goes, Evile is the best thing to come out of the UK in a long time.

Also, Behemoth’s “Apostasy” is some of the most accessible stuff I’ve heard in a while. My MOTHER likes it, for God’s sakes.[/quote]

That’s funny, Entombed is considered (and rightfully so) one of the greatest Swedish Death Metal acts ever.

I found the Apostasy a bore, it’s great songwriting, but for some reason, I can’t listen more than one song at a time, or else I’ll snore.

Big into death metal… good to see there’s a decent amount of people that are as well. It’s kind of sad when people consider Korn and shit like that being metal and ‘hard music.’

I prefer melodic death metal to the harder stuff.
I tried Cryptopsy once but just couldn’t get past it.

What do you guys think about the Florida Death Metal Scene? Most of those bands sound pretty similar imo.

I dig Merciful Faith, (kind of a Priest feel).

A real quick look at my collection:

Bathory, Behemoth, Bolt Thrower, Celtic Frost, Children of Bodom, Coroner, Destruction, Emperor, Kreator, ect.

Anyone heard Hate Eternal’s newest album yet? It is really fucking good. These guys just get better and better each album.

Some of my favorite bands include Decapitated, Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, Exodus, Asesino, Skinless, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Behemoth, Cryptopsy, and pretty much every thrash metal band ever.
Municipal Waste is a band that I just started getting into, they nake me want to drink a case of beer and bang my head until it falls off my neck!

Anyways, I am starting to feel old. Like I am having a hard time keeping up with all the new metal bands coming out. Most of the time I will like the music, but the vocals are shit, or I will like the vocals, and the music is shit.

And this whole thing with singing? WTF? I will hear a song that sounds pretty tough, and then the voalist will break out with some gay ass singing bullshit! Singing has no place in metal. Call me old fashioned, but these “hardcore” dudes singing like Mariah Carey… Fuck that shit.

SLAAAAAAAAYER!!!

Sorry. From the context of the sentence I realize it looked like I was saying they were thrash, which they’re obviously not. What I was trying to say is that they are one of (if not THE) greatest death bands of all time.

Strapping Young Lad is a guilty pleasure. They have some of the most accessible sound (semi-grind, really) out there and a really good introduction to new listeners, imo.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Big into death metal… good to see there’s a decent amount of people that are as well. It’s kind of sad when people consider Korn and shit like that being metal and ‘hard music.’[/quote]

hopefully this will be the last time those “bands” are mentioned in this thread.