Death in the Gym

[quote]imhungry wrote:
lighting_guy wrote:
What were you doing in the mens room at the gym?

STEALING SOULS. Duh!![/quote]

You better watch out there HungryBoy… you might be next…

lighting- what makes you think I’m a girl?

[quote]Lohryx5 wrote:
GymJenn wrote:
Thursday, in my new gym, a 38 yr old (very over weight) man came downstairs after doing cardio, went to the locker room and keeled over on the john. (this one really makes me sad… he had joined 2 months earlier with his over weight 16 yr old son. They were working together to become healthy.

Wonder if the poor kid will ever step in another gym again.[/quote]

BINGO! We all thought the same thing.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
imhungry wrote:
lighting_guy wrote:
What were you doing in the mens room at the gym?

STEALING SOULS. Duh!!

You better watch out there HungryBoy… you might be next…

lighting- what makes you think I’m a girl?[/quote]

Well, if death looks like you, then I guess that would make things a little easier.

I’m still packing my shit, though.

Are you sure you aren’t working out in a nursing home?

That Army General should have been more thoughtful, he could have died anywhere in the gym, but there is only 1 place I can do squats!

[quote]GymJenn wrote:

Thursday, in my new gym, a 38 yr old (very over weight) man came downstairs after doing cardio, went to the locker room and keeled over on the john. (this one really makes me sad… he had joined 2 months earlier with his over weight 16 yr old son. They were working together to become healthy. Well that, and that he died on the commode).

Jenn[/quote]

Aw, man, that makes me want to cry.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

I KNOW! It really just sucks. I can’t help but think about what went through his mind in his last few minutes. (and please refrain from making any jackass comments here, people) but it’s sure not the way I want to go.

jchenky~ thank you doll, it just makes me sad.

J

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
A year ago, in my last gym, a 47 yr old Army General (or something) stepped out of the squat rack and dropped dead. No words, just kind of turned purple and dropped.

Thursday, in my new gym, a 38 yr old (very over weight) man came downstairs after doing cardio, went to the locker room and keeled over on the john. (this one really makes me sad… he had joined 2 months earlier with his over weight 16 yr old son. They were working together to become healthy. Well that, and that he died on the commode).

I know I’m not the angel of death, so have I just been unlucky? Or is this more of a common occurrence then I am aware of?

Jenn[/quote]

Is because you are drop-dead gorgeous.

I worry about the son feeling guilty. And also, that’s a rotten way for your dad to go. Embarrassing.

It does suck. If you ever see the son, you might mention how much you admired his dad. He’ll be pleased (mostly because you’re so pretty).

my dad just started training at my gym and he’s already looking fantastic… iv been encouraging him for so long.

if this happened to him i would be inconsolable.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
EmilyQ wrote:

I KNOW! It really just sucks. I can’t help but think about what went through his mind in his last few minutes. (and please refrain from making any jackass comments here, people) but it’s sure not the way I want to go.

jchenky~ thank you doll, it just makes me sad.

J[/quote]

That’s why anyone considering going to the gym, or any kind of exercise, should get a complete physical.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:

lighting- what makes you think I’m a girl?[/quote]

Because your name is Gym Jenn and all you profile pictures are of the same woman.

[quote]lighting_guy wrote:
GymJenn wrote:

Because your name is Gym Jenn and all you profile pictures are of the same woman.[/quote]

Those were Pre-op pictures.

You should hear her talk.

We had a 24yr old gym bunny keel over in the changing rooms about two months back.

Trained 4 times a week - turned out she had an undiagnosed congenital heart condition. She didn’t even train that day - hit her while she was getting changed.

When your number’s up…it’s up!

[quote]imhungry wrote:
lighting_guy wrote:
GymJenn wrote:

Because your name is Gym Jenn and all you profile pictures are of the same woman.

Those were Pre-op pictures.

You should hear her talk.[/quote]

True story.

Irish - now that’s sad. But as stated, I guess when it’s your time… I’m not ready, I still can’t do 25 pull ups!

I’m afraid this is going to happen to my mom, I get so pissed off at her. She isn’t fit at all, yet gets these random, occasional bursts of motivation and gets on a treadmill and runs as fast as she can for 5 minutes, then her pulse is like 2oo and she can hardly walk and she can’t talk for 5 minutes. I keep telling her to stop, he’s going to blow a valve, and she just says if the trainers can push the fat people on the biggest loser, then she’ll be fine.

Geez, I hate thinking I;ll find her dead from a heart attack one day.

I understand the overweight guy keeling over more than the army dude,… but I guess it’s just a reminder that sometimes, despite all the training, and good nutrition, your number’s just up for whatever reason (or that despite looking healthy, bodybuilding, you can still be in horrible shape).

Sad story, I hope the kid isn’t traumatized forever, and he can use this is a ‘I wont let it happen to me’ experience.

S

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
One must figure that the gym is a perfectly logical place for death to occur. Unhealthy, old, or overweight people pushing the limits of their physical capabilities sounds like a good way to stack up the bodies.[/quote]

Yes and then take into account the fact that many of these people have previous cardiac conditions and are post rehab or are ordered to start exercising by their doctors. It’s like the guy that drops dead shoveling snow.

I think we’ve had…maybe 6 cardiac arrests over the past 10 years at our 3 gyms, and 3 saves with the AED. I can’t count how many other CVAs and diabetic issues there have been.

The first time I ever did CPR was in the gym on shift as a trainer and the very next day I drove up on a vehicle vs. bicycle accident. They both croaked. Afterward I took an interest in emergency medicine and signed up for paramedic classes because I don’t like to lose.