Death in the Gym

A year ago, in my last gym, a 47 yr old Army General (or something) stepped out of the squat rack and dropped dead. No words, just kind of turned purple and dropped.

Thursday, in my new gym, a 38 yr old (very over weight) man came downstairs after doing cardio, went to the locker room and keeled over on the john. (this one really makes me sad… he had joined 2 months earlier with his over weight 16 yr old son. They were working together to become healthy. Well that, and that he died on the commode).

I know I’m not the angel of death, so have I just been unlucky? Or is this more of a common occurrence then I am aware of?

Jenn

It’s you.

j/k

I haven’t seen anyone die but I’ve seen a guy lose his finger and another smash his kneecap.

I think you were just in the wrong place at the right (time for the guys to, uh drop dead) time.
A guy left my old gym after training one morning and was shot in the parking lot. Not one shot, but a whole bunch of them. He owed someone something, the shooting was link to OC and no one was ever arrested.

We had a guy drop dead at my current gym too. I guess when it’s time to go, it’s time, whether you are on the can or in the squat rack.

Note to self: Stay the fuck out of Kentucky. The angel of death has been seen lurking in that state. She has the look of a fitness model, and may have 666 tatooed on her scalp.

Oh, and thank you for that depressing frigging news!!

S. Gypsy - Ewwwe. I’ll assume it was two different dudes, or one hell of an accident.

dianab- I’m with you on the “when it’s your time” gig. Maybe your dude in the parking lot had it worse though, if he saw the gun and knew it was coming. Maybe it’s better sitting on the pot thinking you really just have to GO! and then dropping dead.
either way, it’s sad.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Note to self: Stay the fuck out of Kentucky. The angel of death has been seen lurking in that state. She has the look of a fitness model, and may have 666 tatooed on her scalp.

Oh, and thank you for that depressing frigging news!![/quote]

Oh, now that’s just wrong. I’m hurt.

… It’s tattooed on my ass.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
S. Gypsy - Ewwwe. I’ll assume it was two different dudes, or one hell of an accident.

dianab- I’m with you on the “when it’s your time” gig. Maybe your dude in the parking lot had it worse though, if he saw the gun and knew it was coming. Maybe it’s better sitting on the pot thinking you really just have to GO! and then dropping dead.
either way, it’s sad. [/quote]

Yes, sad and scary.

It freaks me out when I hear people younger than me, go home after work, gym, etc. feel real tired, and lie down and die.

Oh and Hungry- the first gym was in PA.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
imhungry wrote:

… It’s tattooed on my ass.[/quote]

Note to self: The angel of death has feelings, and really cool fashion sense.

Have you seen the show Supernatural? Sounds like a job for Sam & Dean.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
Oh and Hungry- the first gym was in PA.
[/quote]

SHIT.

I don’t live in Pa. anymore.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
imhungry wrote:

… It’s tattooed on my ass.[/quote]

I demand photographical evidence!

Or we burn the witch!

That is awful news Jenn.

You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

One must figure that the gym is a perfectly logical place for death to occur. Unhealthy, old, or overweight people pushing the limits of their physical capabilities sounds like a good way to stack up the bodies.

It’s sad to hear, but honestly, if I ever die, I want it to be in that sort of fashion. Or like Jesse Marunde. At least you know you’d died busting your ass trying to achieve something, actually attempting to change your life.

[quote]GymJenn wrote:
Thursday, in my new gym, a 38 yr old (very over weight) man came downstairs after doing cardio, went to the locker room and keeled over on the john. (this one really makes me sad… he had joined 2 months earlier with his over weight 16 yr old son. They were working together to become healthy.[/quote]

Wonder if the poor kid will ever step in another gym again.

[quote]Lohryx5 wrote:
GymJenn wrote:
Thursday, in my new gym, a 38 yr old (very over weight) man came downstairs after doing cardio, went to the locker room and keeled over on the john. (this one really makes me sad… he had joined 2 months earlier with his over weight 16 yr old son. They were working together to become healthy.

Wonder if the poor kid will ever step in another gym again.[/quote]

I’d think it would be great motivation, actually.

Or a great excuse to eat cupcakes.

I can see how the gym would be a place for death - especially death by aneurysm. Undiagnosed (or even diagnosed) AAA combined with exercise could easily develop into a full blown rupture.

What were you doing in the mens room at the gym?

[quote]lighting_guy wrote:
What were you doing in the mens room at the gym?[/quote]

STEALING SOULS. Duh!!