T Nation

Dearborn MI

I just recently returned from a trip to Detroit to visit some family. We drove thru some neighborhoods in Dearborn and it plain made me sick. For those that don't know, Dearborn is somewhat considered to be a Muslim sanctuary city in the United States. I have no problem with Muslims in America if they act civil. I was amazed to see that numerous houses and business displayed the American flag upside down. Is this not against the law? Soon they will be burning the flag in Americas streets, if they arent already. Complete Bullshit.

I live a couple of cities over....In the highschools they teach the kids arabic and is pretty much like a foriegn country, but you have to know before it was the biggest arabic poulation in the US, it was the home of mostly Italian and Polish immigrants, and yes sometimes it is like being in a foriegn country when you drive through there. In the eighties there were more fights around here with arabic and whites but I don't think that happens anymore. I do see alot of hot arabic chick around here...thats a plus.

Arkansas' intellectual strikes again.

After some more research on the subject; Not only do some American Muslims choose to disrespect our flag, but so did the organization MoveOn this weekend while protesting at the White House.

I understand the right to free speech, but I also understand the right to pack your shit and move to Iraq if you love them so much. I have no prob with protest, but keep it respectful, lots of brave Americans have given their lives for your right to act like a dumbass.

Dumbass from Sweden, are you mad at me because I said that I hope all your 72 virgins have penises?

Alot of American Indians also fly the flag upside down.......its a symbol of distress.

Michigan has the nickname 'Michganistan' here in the midwest.

Tsk Tsk, lixy.

Remember your pal billy boy came from Arkansas.

Further, weren't you the one castigating me for generalizing the quebecois?

I wish I could quit you, lixy.

You are like the leper that I can't turn away from.

JeffR

Ohio has one big ass mosque looking compound...see it every time going to Cedar Point. Never heard Michganistan before. The way I look at we are the safest state in the Union because of our muslim population.

Michigan also had a very large German population in WW2..different war different people.....also german POW camps:

From 1944-46, roughly 1,100 German prisoners of war were held in the remote north woods at five prisoner of war branch camps in Michigan�??s Upper Peninsula. Across the United States, there were about 375,000 German POWs at more than 655 camps. But despite these staggering numbers, sixty years after the fact, the story of their captivity remains largely untold.

Could you post a picture of this if you could find one? I travel to and from Michigan frequently and pass through Sandusky and have never seen it. Can it be seen from the turnpike?

The number of muslims in the United States is estimated at just under 8 million, according to CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations). In 1998, a Pakistani newspaper put the number at 12 million.

The number of muslims in Ohio is not known, since the census does not inquire about religious affiliation. However, out of the 350,000 population in Toldeo, Ohio, a large number are muslim. Like Detroit Michigan, Toledo is a growing muslim community.

In 2003, the Free Press reported, "There are an estimated 30,000 Muslims in central Ohio, 130,000 in Ohio and seven million in America" with that number increasing each year.

In comparison, in 2000 there were already 254,110 Muslims living in Toronto, Canada, according to the 2001 census. Today there are 338,110 according to census estimates. Toronto is where 17 terrorists were arrested with plans to purchase 3 tons of amonium nitrate.

The Islamic Center of Greater Toledo is the 3rd Mosque ever bult in America. It has been around since the early 50s and since 1981 has been located off of I-75 in its current iteration. It is perhaps the grandest and most beautiful Mosque in America. One of it's goals, introduce Islam, its culture, and heritage to the community at large. Some histsory:

The first Muslim immigrants to Toledo came at the turn of the century from Syria and Lebanon. Those few families established the Syrian American Muslim Society in the late thirties. It was not until 1954 that Toledo's first Islamic Center was built on East Bancroft Street, near downtown, fulfilling the needs of the Muslim Community. With the influx of many more Muslims to the Greater Toledo area in the late sixties and early seventies, the Bancroft Street Center could not meet the religious and social needs of its members. ... The present new Center in Perrysburg Township had been in the planning for over a decade. The classic Islamic architecture was the first of its kind in North America.

In 1978, forty-eight acres of land was purchased in Perrysburg Township. The foundation of the Center was laid in October 1980, while the actual construction did not begin until September 1982. The building was officially opened on October 22, 1983. Two wings were added in 1991. Today, more than 20 nationalities are represented in the Center. source

The 'center' provides Dawah activities; arabic language classes; weekday and weekend school classes; a medical clinic; social services; publications; and training of Imams - In cooperation with Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt.

The mosque's golden dome and towering spires are visible from the interstate south of town. Inside is a plaque that honors the names of every member of the mosque who has served in the U.S. armed forces, dating to World War I. Iman Farooq Aboelzahab said that some members' children are serving in Iraq.

Three local men have been indicted on terror-related charges and earlier the government had ordered a crackdown on a Toledo charity suspected of ties to Hamas. The Imam denies any connections to terror or Hamas.

The mosque appears white in the picture, but I can tell you personally that is not the case. It is, in fact, gold, and a site to behold for the unsuspecting traveler down I-75.

There are many other mosques in Ohio, some with possible terror ties. Here is a sample of the mosques in one state in the Ohio:

Ada (1) Columbus (6) Parma (1)
Akron (1) Dayton (4) Perrysburg (1)
Athens (1) Fairfield (1) Sandusky (1)
Canton (1) Kent (1) Springfield (3)
Cincinnati (5) Lima (1) Toledo (3)
Cleavland (1) Lorain (1) Xenia (1)
Cleveland (8) Marion (2) Youngstown (4)

Imam Fawaz Damra was the leader of the largest mosque in Ohio (Islamic Center of Cleveland). In June 2004, he was charged for "concealing ties to three groups classified as terrorist organizations" during his U.S. citizenship application in 1994. Now, it is reported that Palestinian-born Damra has been arrested without warning and is now being deported.

While the Toldeo Ohio mosque sounds like a wonderful place, it is not without questionable intentions.

In a newsletter from the Islamic Center that had a story from the Haddith - sayings attributed to Mohammad - that spoke of a war in the last days between Jews and Muslims, and how Jews would hide behind trees and the trees would say, "There's a Jew behind me, kill him!" except for one tree that would shelter the Jews.

A member of the Worldwide Church of God went to the mosque for a dinner-tour, followed by a question and answer session with the Egyptian imam/religious leader. He repeated the "spiritual lesson" to the imam and asked him if the Muslims had any such saying. He replied that the Jews create such spurious sayings in order to discredit Islam and Arabs. I then shocked him, and the audience, when I asked: "If that's not a Muslim story, and is spurious and created by the Jews, then why would you, as the leader of this Islamic community permit that very story to be published in your newsletter last month?" He was speechless. source

I report, you decide.

Cross posted at In the Bullpen

Linked with 123beta, Open Trackback Weekend

When I read headhunters Michganistan remark the first thought that went through my head was what about the giant mosque on I-75.

You beat me to it Billy.

That Mosque is huge and it is right in the middle of a barren field so it dominates the surrounding countryside.

Dearborn Michigan is known for being home to the largest Arab community in the world that is outside of the middle east.

I was unfortunate enough to be driving through Dearborn several years ago when the Redwings won the Stanley cup for the first time in decades. If you have ever been unarmed and surrounded by arabs shooting off AK47's it's not a pleasent experience.

On the corner of Woodward avenue and Twelve mile road there is the Roman Catholic church of the little flower. The man who built the church was Father Charles Coughlin who was a colleague of Julius Streicher.

I live near by and I would say the vast majority are really nice people. I go out for drinks with a large group and i'm the only white person in the entire group. I can't say I have ever seen our flag flown upside down either and I've been here for 4months.

My only complaint is that they cook some smelly shit. Man I don't know what dish it is but the people that live above me cook something that smells like sour milk. I literally threw up one day b/c of the smell.

Dearborn was repudiated for having been a celebration point during 9-11. I remember watching the news and seeing thousands in dearborn celebrating during 9-11, and waving Palestinian flags.

No one was celebrating in Dearborn on 9/11. Get your facts straight.

I am, and there was.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

FOX?