Dear Atheists/Non-Believers

I can’t just start believing in something that I don’t believe in. Are you planning on believing in everything, even though most of these belief systems are incompatible? Get baptized just to be safe? Maybe handle a few rattlesnakes on your deathbed? Get audited by a Scientologist and fork over $10,000 to become OT3? Maybe go out by suicide bombing some Jews across town?

You know, just in case!

Again, if we imagine for a moment that the Christian God exists, would he judge me more or less harshly for “keeping it real” and just being an atheist vs. going through the motions of a pious Christian even though I didn’t believe one lick of it?

I’d like to think God would be cool and throw me a bone, but who knows?

Also, again, i would love to see my loved ones, and maybe the afterlife is a place my human brain cannot fathom and the conscience-ness i will feel is something i can not even wrap my mind around currently, but as my current knowledge of conscience thought goes, i’d trade it for nothing at the end of my life happily.

The new chill cool Pope recently said in so many words its better to be a chill and kind atheist than a shitty Christian, so Ill personally just coast on that and hope for the best!

1 Like

So options are:

• Die Atheist, No Afterlife, Nothing

• Die Atheist, Afterlife, Eternal Damnation

• Die Christian, No Afterlife, Nothing

• Die Christian, Afterlife, Heaven

Dying a Atheist has no advantages apart from “keeping it real”
No net gain at all.
Even if probability was a million to one odds that it is nothing, still worth it.

I believe they would be considered blasphemers, and most likely be in the same circle as whatever Pope Dante had with his head burried underground.

Also been a few years since I read through it. I lucked out in having an AWESOME translation that had a bunch of footnotes explaining what the hell all the allegories alluded to.

1 Like

I just said the new Pope said its better to be a good atheist than a bad person who is a devote Christian, so the last option seems to be

Atheist (good person), after life, Heaven

Okay then. What do you plan on beginning to believe in?

A lot of people will tell you that blowing yourself up to kill Jews is the way to go. First class ticket to a paradise with tons of hot sex once you get there.

Choose carefully!

1 Like

So even as an atheist, you still have the negative tone that everyone brought up in the beginning here with these statements.

If you fear it that bad, simply join an assembly of a religion with similar beliefs spiritually as yourself, and than you will have the peace of mind you seem to seek. Hell, you might be a better person, end up being even more successful, or help a lot of other people convert and find a path of good intentions in their lives as well. There is nothing wrong with that at all man.

I’m good :raised_hands: aimin’ for limbo haha

We’ll all seem to run into each other. Hell maybe the castle with seven gates mentioned above will have a decent weight room as we wait for our final judgement together.

Oh the sweet irony that would present: “Hey remember that time we were all debating the afterlife on TN? well guess what…”

2 Likes

I’d quite like a Religion that fits with my pre-existing moral beliefs. For me killing Jews doesn’t allign that well despite the allure. [quote=“beastcoast58, post:68, topic:229242”]
If you fear it that bad, simply join an assembly of a religion with similar beliefs spiritually as yourself
[/quote]

I’d prefer to live my life as an Atheist, which is why I want to postpone the conversion till necessary. [quote=“beastcoast58, post:66, topic:229242”]
I just said the new Pope said its better to be a good atheist than a bad person who is a devote Christian
[/quote]

The most recent Pope seems to be one of the worst Christians I’ve heard of.

Which more aids the atheist point of “organized religion seems to have a few plot holes”

But hey if their religion turns out to be the right one, than that guy is legit giving us the words of the one true God out of his mouth.

Again ill coast and find out i guess.

1 Like

In some ways it would be be a nice idea that I’m wrong to believe in a higher, beneficient power, in much the same way Karma is a nice idea…that being said no, 99% of the time I am not super-sceptical about my own atheism nor do when I talk to a religious do I really envy them etc.

As a kid, admittedly though it was different (as a very young child I was a believer & as an older child I was more or less agnostic…though, the older I got the more I leaned towards atheism).

It’s the same with other stuff I used to believe in really.

Curious, how are you going to pick? Are you saying there is only one religion that fits that category?

OP, to add on to this question, how will you know you are choosing the right one? If the idea of joining a religion just to worship or believe in something so you can punch a ticket to the afterlife, than that goes hand in hand with choosing the correct religion.

This is absolutely true. But this:[quote=“hugh_gilly, post:59, topic:229242”]
Why don’t you do a last minute swap and avoid the possible damnation?
[/quote]

Doesn’t happen. That man on the cross had that one chance, and he took it. You, on the other hand, could be in an accident tomorrow, and you won’t have that chance. That’s why its pointless to say that - even if someday you are on your deathbed, your original beliefs are going to stop you from “making a last minute swap”.

Out of the main 6 (popularity) I’ll do a assessment

• Hinduism - Pretty solid choice, good morals that align, not a fan of multiple Gods in Theory

• Buddhism - Solid choice, I like enlightenment, reincarnation bit wacky

• Sikhism - Solid choice, not a fan of headgear involved

• Judaism - Solid choice, not keen on circumcision, not a fan of headgear

• Islam - um …

• Christianity - Solid Choice, not a fan of repentance

Three way toss up between Christianity, Sikhism and Judaism. Honestly can’t pick just one.

The purpose of religion is to answer 'What is it all about?", “Why am I here?”, “What is the meaning of life?” - that sort of inquiry that has been pondered since we could convey or record our thoughts.

It takes so very little to realize that 1) Each human and their days (even their legacy) on Earth are fleeting compared to eternity and 2) we are insignificant compared to the enormity of the universe. This reflection causes us to wonder about the first 3 questions above.

Therefore, in seeking an answer to this powerless status AND in response to an inborn yearning that is testified going back to the beginning of recorded history, we look to something greater than ourselves. Maybe small at first, our immediate family or tribe and then moving larger - a sports team, our school, our country and its worldly power.

Since these are ultimately found to also be fleeting in size or duration, we ultimately must consider God. The one being that is considered historically and in most cultures, at the top of the pecking order - all knowing, all powerful, all seeing and forever extant. Do I understand this concept? Or theologians? Or scientists? Or anyone else? Not with our limited mental capability, thus religions have been born to try to explain God, seek God, ‘get in’ with God.

And this is the beauty of it - God wishes us to seek him and to want to know and ‘get in’ with him. Since that is abstract, like being in love with being in love, what are human examples? A loving family, the relationship you (hopefully) have with your father, the one you strive to have with your child, spouse, parents.
In other words, the Golden Rule. But not out of compulsion or fear of being dropped out of the will. Simply because these people mean more to you than anything else. More than weightlifting, march madness, chasing girlies, being the richest man ever…

God created Man to be the pinnacle of creation. A crown jewel. He gives us free will to be in a relationship with him of our own volition. He wanted more from and for us than animals, which live according to nature and instinct. Birds don’t consider flying south, horses don’t think 'Winter’s coming, better eat more and grow more hair." He wants a relationship.

In the end, God has already chosen us to be in the will and to come to an eternal feast, but he does not force us to do so (remember how we differ from animals). Literally every person has been invited. But you must accept that invitation for it to happen. And since he is God, it will be done on his terms. The thought that God created man to beat-down, kill, extract vengeful punishment is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Because of this, I will not sugarcoat this truism - you must accept Jesus of the Bible as your savior and agree to follow his example. There are no other good works, payments, excuses, begging, fist wavings that will get you the invitation. None.

Seek him today, in the midst of your unbelief. Ask him sincerely to reveal himself, and your eyes will be opened.

1 Like

I’m aware of the possibility of me not being given a choice on the matter. I fully accept the possibility that I won’t have a choice and I can live with that fact, I’d prefer to take the risk if it means I can live as an Atheist.

I’ll face that hurdle when I come to it, I’m prepared for the fact that the swap might not work but if I were to swap now would I be able to swap. I’m sure my beliefs could be moulded slightly to fit the already similar rules laid out in whatever I swap to.

@hugh_gilly I think you should look into Chaos Magic. It is pretty wacky stuff, but one of its concepts I find particularly interesting is the use of belief as a tool to shape the reality you experience.

I’m not a practicing chaos magician, so take this with a grain of salt. You need to create a sigil representing your ideal afterlife. Then you need to believe in the sigil, the afterlife itself and your own personal power to shape your own postmortem reality. Really focus on it, give it your power and your visions will be realized. You can’t half-ass it, you have to believe. No faking allowed.