Dear Atheists/Non-Believers

[quote=“hugh_gilly, post:20, topic:229242”]
Of course!

Curiosity, why would you hope the gods of other religions exist? (Disclaimer: I really hope Valhalla is a place…if there’s gotta be a “heaven” it might as well be f******, fightin’, and drinking)

The plan for me is that at least one exists. Not terribly fussed over which.

I’m asking this question as an Atheist, which I am.

My believe (and hope) in the lack of an eternity of consciousness is exactly why I hope i am correct. Sounds horrible. Also the reason why chasing all that life has to offer and accomplishing what i want to accomplish is so important: because it has an end date. There is a deadline. My retort is, if you believe that you just need to be a pretty good person, and eternal life will be granted, what prevents you from just being a pretty good person and never doing anything, considering there is an awesome and awe inspiring experience at the end of the road? Why even attempt to top that in an earthly life?

(note: i do not say this mockingly. If the after life is as incredible as most religions believe, than i would not really care about earth life at all. I would simply be good enough to get there, and enjoy that shit for the remainder of space and time.)

1 Like

I also hope that i am right because ive been dug in to the fact i am for years! who wants to be wrong after taking that firm of a stance?!

Oh! For some reason I assumed (yep, made an ass of myself) that you were asking as a believer, apologies for the misunderstanding, was gettin’ ready to come in hot and heavy haha

Me. [quote=“Despade, post:25, topic:229242”]
I assumed
[/quote]

Twojarslave did as well, as did moremuscle (sort of). Probably should of specified in the OP.

My second comment was more of a joke lol

Thought so, just clarifying my position for others.

Atheism is a belief just like the beliefs held by any religious person. Since it can’t be proven, you believe there is no divine entity. So, why in the world would you “hope” to be wrong? That doesn’t make any sense.

I’d say you are probably more agnostic than atheist.

That said, I can’t see how it would be good for anyone if, say, The Children of God are the ones who have it right.

If you don’t know who they are, look 'em up!

Reasons. [quote=“twojarslave, post:30, topic:229242”]
I’d say you are probably more agnostic than atheist.
[/quote]

I disagree.

Of course it would be good.

Words.

Would you like me to elaborate perhaps?

1 Like

You’ve asked the question of, “Do you hope you’re wrong about a (any) god.” You’ve made it clear that you hope you’re wrong and that there is a god or gods, this has piqued my interest greatly, do you want to see a giant sky war? Or are looking forward to eternal damnation from various sects?

Edit: Yes please, elaboration.

Really? Do you realize that The Children of God is a cult founded by a monstrous child molester who used his power to ruin lives and live out his sick fantasies?

How could those assholes being right possibly be good?

Like the others, I’d love to hear you elaborate on this.

That would certainly be more helpful than a one-word response.

I watched the Tony Robbins documentary on Netflix and I think there was a girl who was caught up in this on it… (might be wrong about if its the same cult).

It was really messed up and “ruin lives” is a nice way to put it. Disgusting.

Alright I’ll let away the clue that everyone so desperately wants to hear.

What all of the religions I’ve mentioned have in common is the existence or belief in a form of Afterlife.

They all hold the common belief that after Death there is some sort of Afterlife. Valhalla, Heaven etc.

So wanting there to be no God means that you don’t want some sort of Afterlife. No chance to see your loved ones again, no chance of reunion, no chance of emotion ever again, no happiness, no joy.

By stating that you don’t want there to be a God, as some have done so, you want to never experience anything good again. Just desolate nothingness.

That’s why I want there to be a God.

Just think how bad it would have been if the threat of eternal damnation wasn’t keeping them in check!

Is God a requisite for the afterlife?