T Nation

Dean's At It Again

Strong antiwar comments in recent days by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean have opened anew a party rift over Iraq, with some lawmakers warning that the leaders' rhetorical blasts could harm efforts to win control of Congress next year.

I don't care what the poll numbers are. If the Dems don't do something about their illustrious leader, and get him to just shut the hell up, the republicans could run dead cats in the next elections and still pick up seats.

Dean is the best marketing tool for the Republicans that we've ever had.

RJ,

Democratic candidates are always fretting about a President who can unite the country.

But there isn't even a Democrat who can unite the Democratic party, let alone the the US.

Can we resurrect William Jennings Bryan from the dead, just so we can have an interesting and principled Democratic party for sport?

Some other democrats have seen the Pelosi/Dean/Murtha position as a political mistake ( http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2005/12/dems_in_disarra.html ), and have been pushing back. Each of Murtha and Pelosi has backtracked on the withdrawl position, with Murtha sounding downright confused as to his own position ( http://www.slate.com/id/2131597/ ).

ADDENDUM: You know it's bad when the Daily KOS is distancing itself from Dean's comments: http://dbsoxblog.blogspot.com/#113400004541641447

ADDENDUM 2: Obama making some sense on this issue, joining Joltin' Joe Lieberman: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0512060210dec06,1,3105406.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed
[And also putting some nice history in w/r/t Presidents sharing "all" intelligence - not as I would have put it, but not bad for a Dem Senator]

I'm waiting to hear from my pals: harris/alzojo.

I love my democrats.

JeffR

I don't know... it seems that the dems basically go along more personal opinions than party lines.

Do the repubs stick together better or what?

What do you base this on? Look at the congressional voting record. Party line pretty much all the time.

For the rank and file democrats in Congress to be ducking and running from the position of the Dem leadership is indeed a very important development. Especially when you have folks worried about maintining the seats they have.

I think you may have hit on a key point for many dems. Unfortunately, it frequently isn't convicitions the Dean's of the world run on - it's only about getting the vote.

For example: When Lieberman ran the primary, he ran as a highly religious, orthodox jew, and he hoped to pull votes from that segment. And, he pressed for the pro-abortion votes. Ultimately, he was ex-communication from the jewish chruch and he lost votes in both segements.

Personally, I would rather see someone stick to one position rather than play the whole field. On the dem side, I've seen too much of the switch-hitting on issues and it has left me unsatisfied.

Dean is great in his current role. He is a gift beyond hope for the Republican Party.

If Rendell still had the position the Dems would be moving ahead.

I think he speaks for the base of the party.

I think there is a variety of ideas and people under the GOP tent, but they have quite a bit of common glue.

The Democrats, by and large, have, what I think, are large rifts in thinking - the party is almost 'too' broad. Think of a garden variety union member and a Howard Dean wealthy, twenty-something techie out in Frisco that supports gay marriage - what the hell are they going to talk about?

The Democratic party really is two entities - the old guard of liberals and new guard of lefty Social Democrats in the European mold. I don't think this arrangment can last much longer.

I take back every comment I made about Dean being smart and astute.

He is a liability for the Democrats. They should ditch him ASAP.

Like RJ said the polls don't matter now. When the campaigns begin all the Republicans have to do is tie the Democratic candidates to Dean and it will result in many Republican wins.

For the good of the Democratic party and the country they need to dump him.

But for the good of the republican party and the nation they need to keep him :slight_smile: