T Nation

Dean as DNC Chairman

I am curious as to what folks around here think of Dean’s ascendancy to the DNC chair, especially those who vote liberal and Democrat.

Will he provide the necessary and right direction for a party that is adrift right now?

Or will he drive the party away from the middle America voter and fail to make inroads into the so-called Red States?

I personally think the Dems should have gone with a populist, not another Northeastern lefty.

To be fair, though, Dean can get a lot of the base in the net, and possibly get back voters that went Green the past several elections. I saw the C-SPAN debate between Dean and Nader and Dean shined.

But I think the problem with the Dems is not the base, but the moderates. And I am not sure Dean is the man to steer the Dems back toward the Third Way that was so successful for Clinton.

I, for one, couldn’t be happier for the DNC. It means Republican control of congress for another election cycle at the minimum.

The rumor going around is that Dean will be more visable in ‘Red States’, attempting to energize the democratic base. If that is the case, then that will really free up republican funds to be applied elsewhere.

I mean, honestly - what better advertisement for the right than having the head Deaniac running around spewing his special brand of liberal vitriole?

Three cheers for Dean!!

Hopefully Dean will keep Hilary from pretending to move to the center.

Dems don’t learn very fast, do they?

Weren’t they the ones calling Republicans “stupid?”

democrats=whigs.

I have a serious question to ask: Is it time we start ignoring Democrats?

Think about it.

No power, no say.

Let’s start some threads debating some of the Republican bills up for a vote.

JeffR

I cannot in my wildest dreams as a Republican ask for better news.

Dean is a far left New England Liberal. The kind that has not been elected since Kennedy. He is also seems to be a control freak so he will steer the party in his image…you can only hope.

The monority, large donor base has spoken. Dean is the DNC chairman. They got what they want. I do not think the Democrats will win back either house of the Congress or the Presidency until at least 2010…maybe longer.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Dean is a far left New England Liberal. [/quote]

Based on what?

Moriarty wrote:
Based on what?

This should do nicely:

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns/newscolumn/2005/col20050209.asp

That will be twelve cents.

JeffR

Does anyone else think that Dean at the DNC chair signals that Al Gore wants to throw his hat back in the ring for 2008 – a defeated VP trying again, a la Richard Nixon?

Gore had backed Dean’s candidacy for the Presidency in 04 (right before Dean imploded, actually), and Hillary Clinton seemed none too happy about Dean’s getting the position. McAuliffe was a Clinton guy – Dean is the antithesis of the “New Democrat” position, the one to which Hillary seems to be moving toward.

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Based on what?

This should do nicely:

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns/newscolumn/2005/col20050209.asp

That will be twelve cents.

JeffR

[/quote]

This does nothing to show how Dean is liberal. However, it does a great job of calling him the Buchanan of the left though.

Nice try though!

I think it’s a good move for this reason:

Where as Dean is a politician because he has vision

Kerry has vision because he is a politician.

If you’re going to move towards Kerry’s style of operation or Dean’s, I think Dean’s the better choice. (Not that those were the only two options)

It certainly gives Gore an ally where the purse strings are concerned. Running away from Clinton like he did in 2000 did nothing to help him wrt Terry McCaulif’s DNC.

Do you really think Algore is stoking up for a run in '08? To be honest, I don’t see it. He has moved way too far left to appeal to the center. He’s given any potential Republican competition entire highlight reels full of quotable quotes.

I think his backing of Dean in 2004 was less a calculated move for the whitehouse than it was throwing a finger at the DNC.

If he starts trying to rebuild his political capital in the next year or so - then I might think differently. But I could be wrong.

Elementary My dear Watson!!!

(I know, stale!!!)

However, did you catch the specific votes mentioned in the article?

Read it again.

He’s liberal.

There are plenty more, if you are still a doubter.

JeffR

P.S. With me, its generally a good idea to read the entire articles that I reference. Skimming won’t do!!!

JeffR,

I’ll be a man and fess up!
You were right, I’m a skimmer…

[quote]rainjack wrote:
It certainly gives Gore an ally where the purse strings are concerned. Running away from Clinton like he did in 2000 did nothing to help him wrt Terry McCaulif’s DNC.

Do you really think Algore is stoking up for a run in '08? To be honest, I don’t see it. He has moved way too far left to appeal to the center. He’s given any potential Republican competition entire highlight reels full of quotable quotes.

I think his backing of Dean in 2004 was less a calculated move for the whitehouse than it was throwing a finger at the DNC.

If he starts trying to rebuild his political capital in the next year or so - then I might think differently. But I could be wrong. [/quote]

It’s pretty early for '08 handicapping, but I think there’s definitely a chance Gore will toss his hat back in. I think the base in the Democratic Party still clings to the myth Gore won, and they didn’t really like Kerry – who also seems to be positioning.

I think the fight for the party is the same as it was before – Clinton’s New Democrats vs. the left-wing crowd. Gore’s also from the South, even if he did manage to lose his home state, which was really what cost him the election in 2000.

I dunno – very early going, and perhaps a charismatic governor will pop up somewhere. But I don’t think Gore can be written off as of yet. As for his quotes and whatnot, he had his whole book, Earth in the Balance, and his whole 2000 campaign, and that didn’t seem to sour those folks on him…

The Gov. of Tennessee. I forget his name, but the Wall St. Journal at opinionjournal.com had a piece about him over the weekend. He’s a northerner who’s managed to gain the respect of the “common” people in Tenn…but he’s pissed off the trial lawyers and the knee jerk libs in his own party.
Yes, he’s a democrat. I have to say, reading the article, he sounded pretty good.
Imagine, he actually did what he campaigned on!

Phil Bresden. He was mayor of Nashville when I was in law school at Vanderbilt – he always seemed like a very reasonable guy for a Democrat, and had I had the choice I would have voted for him over Don Sundquist, his Republican gubernatorial predecessor who completely reneged on his promise not to seek an income tax (TN does not have one – Sundquist’s efforts were defeated).

He could definitely be an interesting dark horse – and same home state as Al Gore too. All very interesting…

Some say Dean united the party…unfortunately for him it was the Republicans!

(paraphrased from a satire I read on RWN)

The Economist has a great piece on the issue. I think the Democrats made a mistake. Trying to present a more left-wing party is the wrong way to win elections. For all his faults, did the Democrats learn nothing from Bill Clinton?

Btw, it is reported that Clinton did not want Dean as Chairman.

I was hoping liberals/Democrats would pipe in; after all, Dean is now the leader of their party and I’d be curious how many people would have preferred someone else.

Yeah, Howard Dean as DNC Chairman is a gift to Republicans. Bush would have absolutely wiped the floor with him last fall had he won the Democratic nomination; the Bush folks were salivating at the thought. The whole idea that Dean is a “moderate” or even a “conservative Democrat” just because he notices that the Second Amendment exists is a joke.

I think you guys are just scared because the dems finally got someone with some balls.