Dealing With Snarky Coworkers

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
You’re a very sensitive fellow.[/quote]

Annoyed more than anything.

Edit:
And I am just generally sick of everything, which is wearing my tolerance further. And I have a god damn pest infestation in my apartment that the landlord wont address (called the board of health today). Like I said in another thread, I feel like shit. [/quote]
Why don’t you just take care of it yourself? (the pest infestation)

I mean, technically it’s not your responsibility, but it is your problem. If it bothers you, take care of it, and if you choose to, send your landlord the bill. It’s actually possible they have more important things to worry about than your problems.

Typically, for my own piece of mind, it’s just much easier to take care of the things that are important to me, since the costs (being infested with whichever pests, being annoyed with the landlord, making phone calls that aren’t going anywhere) often aren’t worth it.[/quote]

Lets just say this is a problem big enough to require a professional. I’ve got bugs crawling through my carpet and laying eggs. If it were my home I would tear the carpet up and find the source.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Lets just say this is a problem big enough to require a professional. I’ve got bugs crawling through my carpet and laying eggs. If it were my home I would tear the carpet up and find the source.
[/quote]
Here’s what I would do then. Find a professional and get a quote. Inform the landlord what it will cost, that you’re going to send them the bill, and ask whether they’d rather have someone else do the work. Go from there.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
You’re a very sensitive fellow.[/quote]

Annoyed more than anything.

Edit:
And I am just generally sick of everything, which is wearing my tolerance further. And I have a god damn pest infestation in my apartment that the landlord wont address (called the board of health today). Like I said in another thread, I feel like shit. [/quote]
Why don’t you just take care of it yourself? (the pest infestation)

I mean, technically it’s not your responsibility, but it is your problem. If it bothers you, take care of it, and if you choose to, send your landlord the bill. It’s actually possible they have more important things to worry about than your problems.

Typically, for my own piece of mind, it’s just much easier to take care of the things that are important to me, since the costs (being infested with whichever pests, being annoyed with the landlord, making phone calls that aren’t going anywhere) often aren’t worth it.[/quote]

[/quote]

When I rented I had a flea infestation due to another tenant’s cat. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I took care of it ourselves and sent the landlord the bill. He gladly reimbursed us (to be fair, he was a pretty awesome landlord and tended to take care of things expediently). Usually, whenever we had any kind of issues with the apt for whatever reason we just took care of it ourselves … it was kind of like practice homeownership for when we bought … if we fucked something up, we’d contact our landlord and he’d HAVE to take care of it and would say “Why didn’t you just call me first?” to which we would reply “We tried but you didn’t pick up” trolllololol

But seriously, look into taking care of the bug problem yourself and send your landlord the bill. As mentioned, it’s so much easier and faster and you don’t have to worry about the “when will the landlord get to it” crap

I made a phone call to the department of health this morning, and I am currently awaiting a call back. Last night I basically gassed my apartment, vacuumed everything, cleaned the kitchen (again), etc. I took several pictures and a few videos showing the infestation. When I woke up this morning I saw only 5 bugs, vs the 100s over the last two days.

Getting a quote is a good idea. I have read that in NYC there a laws protecting tenants, where they can deduct maintenance bills from their rent payment should negligence be found. Hopefully this doesn’t escalate to going to court.

What was the thought process behind contacting the department of health?

The best case scenario seems to be having your apartment condemned and being forced to find new housing.

But I’m not really sure what you were trying to accomplish.

1. I was told it was a good move to make given the circumstance

2. I overheard the landlord talking about a similar problem in another apartment

3. these bugs could be a serious health hazard

4. I am not aware of the extend of the problem beyond my room. If bugs ae coming though the floor, there might be a bigger problem like a dead body, dead animal, broken sewage pipe, etc.

5. The landlady, when I showed her the problem, just opened my windows and said “you don’t have a problem anymore”.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

2. I overheard the landlord talking about a similar problem in another apartment

4. I am not aware of the extend of the problem beyond my room. If bugs ae coming though the floor, there might be a bigger problem like a dead body, dead animal, broken sewage pipe, etc.

5. The landlady, when I showed her the problem, just opened my windows and said “you don’t have a problem anymore”. [/quote]

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

5. The landlady, when I showed her the problem, just opened my windows and said “you don’t have a problem anymore”. [/quote]

What do you live in Bridgeport?

If you must acknowledge the comment, calmly call out their passive-aggressive behavior. They’re being that way for a reason and it’s because they don’t like direct confrontation.

Is this the attitude of a couple co-workers or the entire place? Do you enjoy working there? Maybe consider working in a male dominated field. I’ve never had your problem with other co-workers.

If you live in a building, I would tell as many tenants as I could about the infestation. It will eventually be their problem too, and you want them creating a stink as well.

Your land lady should have went out the window when she opened it.

I don’t live in Bridgeport but I do live in a semi-shity area. Ironically, when I lived in a poorer town I got better service from the land lord.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I don’t live in Bridgeport but I do live in a semi-shity area. Ironically, when I lived in a poorer town I got better service from the land lord.[/quote]

I was driving from SouthCoast Massachusetts down to South Carolina (this is about 10 yrs ago) and had an incident that forced me to stay a night at the Holiday Inn in Bridgeport for the night … my girlfriend (at the time) and I were heading out for a bite after checking in and the maitre d’ gave us the advice of “couple of white folks like you should probably make sure you’re back before dark …”

Yea, fuckin’ great town that Bridgeport lol

Check out your state’s landlord tenant law, it goes through the procedure for issues like this. Most do allow for what you paid to be deducted from rent. Some cities have a rental code also.

And those type of workers are everywhere, they don’t know how much restraint it takes not to throat punch them. What the rest have said, get your shit done, smile and remember you will most likely outlive the condescending pukes! :slight_smile:

Good luck