Dealing with People Who "Know Someone Bigger/Stronger" Than You

I’m not big enough for people to say this to me.

Girls try to flatter me tryna say I’m the most jacked guy at my gym but I know they’re damn lying. Usually non-lifter girls.

1 Like

I’ve had that happen once or twice, but I’m generally not big or strong enough for others to see me as a benchmark.

2 Likes

Haha! The guys at my gym like to ask me if they look big

At my size and strength, pretty much everyone knows/is bigger and stronger than me. Women lifting still hasn’t caught on in China though so I get an ego boost every time I go back to Shanghai

1 Like

Spy is such an underrated movie. It’s over-the-top enough to just be a parody of itself, and a good one at that.

2 Likes

If only Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about something like this :wink:

2 Likes

Great one. Although most Springsteen songs are.

So when I say to someone “Somewhere in China there’s a 15 year old girl warming up with your max” I’m not only being a dick but I’m also wrong?

You’re lucky. I can’t even get my wife to try to flatter me.

Some young guy at the gym was doing 48" box jumps and my wife was really impressed and told him so. I said I can do that and she expressed doubts so I had to say move over kid “my wife doesn’t think I can jump that”. The kid packed up and left after the grey hair matched his box jump.

A few weeks later my wife was equally impressed by a guy deadlifting over 600 pounds. I said “Do I need to go show you I can lift that?”. Thank God she said no.

5 Likes

I saw a kid doing single leg box jumps onto the highest box at my gym (don’t know how high); and not one of those “hip hinge box jumps” either, he landed in a fairly decent squat position. Chatted him up, asked him what his vertical was; he told me 40", and I believed him. The vertical is the “truer” stat, so many people are just tucking their hips to “jump” higher onto a box.

Yeah, I’m one of those people… :wink:

2 Likes

Definitely not- I’m pretty sure all the 15 year olds hidden away in the Olympic training center are warming up with twice my max

My vertical used to be 40 inches. At least.

I 100% believe that Julio Jones has nothing on you.

Preach!

Nice hip flexion, bro! Jump up and grab the rim. Better yet, show me you can dunk.

1 Like

I’ll go the opposite direction of this thread and say you guys don’t know someone with a lower vert than me. As a distance runner in high school I spent a few months training with the future 300m hurdle state champ on my team.

Got my vert from 18in all the way to 21in! (I’m pretty good at tucking my knees on box jumps though)

1 Like

I went and played basketball with my nephews about a year ago. I did a few practice jumps to see what the old jump looked - terrible. I decided to leave any stories of any decent leaps in the past, it didn’t seem credible lol