T Nation

Dealing With Newbie ?'s

I have noticed quite a few complaints about newbies-especially very young ones- posting silly and/or redundant messages. On some boards, a poster is required to have been a member of the site for, say, 3 months before he can post to certain forums (though he can read ALL forums).

Given the above scenario, at T-Nation anyone who has been a member less than 3 months could post to the beginners forum but could not post to any of the other forums (he would only have read permission for those forums). This might not eliminate all problems with regard to certain types of posts, but I think it would go a long way towards eliminating this problem.

What do you think?

This would prevent alot of really knowledgable people from voicing their thougts.

No matter the forum there will always be reduntant questons and annoying newbies. Dosn’t matter what the message board is about.

Sounds like a good idea.

Makkun

[quote]makkun wrote:
Sounds like a good idea.

Makkun[/quote]

+1 It would weed out all the spammers and those that have something intelligent to contribute would hang around. Heck, could only be one month and I think it would do the trick.

There are several other strategies I’ve seen for doing this type of thing. For example, it can be done based on number of posts in the newb section instead of time. i.e. members have to have X number of posts in the beginners forum before being allowed to post elsewhere. I’ve also seen sites which require new members to post an introduction in the beginners forum which has to be approved by mods, existing members in good standing, or even just a certain number of existing members. Obviously, these strategies can be combined too.

KO421 wrote

not necessarily, it may just help promote new, yet knowledgeable, members helping beginners in the beginners forum. This would be a good example of combining the strategies. New members who demonstrate a high degree of knowledge would get through their required number of posts quickly by answering questions, or would quickly be “green lighted” by mods/members for full poster status. On the other hand, true beginner members would have to spend some time in the beginners forums asking questions and discussing things before being allowed to post in the other forums.

I’m sure there are other solutions, but these just came to mind when I read the thread.

I don’t think there are any technical ‘tricks’ that will really make a decent contribution to the problem.

The things I see truly being in the way are a)encouragement and b)consistent reminders of how we shouldn’t be too harsh on the newbuses. The two are kind of contradicting because you’d think that if you permit someone into a nation they should have to play by the nation’s rules. But now it’s like - we can’t stop the stampede…oh but you can’t shoot 'em either. Huh? Really?

So my point or solution to the management would be to leave T-Nation to T-Nation. Save all the soccer mom and hot-or-not projects for OTHER WEBSITES and market them separately. Quit experimenting with T-Nation! It’s the greatest asset with many years of accumulated reputation and loyal members. That makes it precious, please let it be.

And if you want to dramatically increase the populace then you must also dramatically increase the number of moderators and lay off the people who take the time to shine some reality on the barrage of waifs with camera phones.

[quote]Majin wrote:
I don’t think there are any technical ‘tricks’ that will really make a decent contribution to the problem.
[/quote]

I must disagree. Giving a trial period of a month or whatever has and does work on other sites. Mind you, the newbies could post to beginners as well as any of the non-weightlifting forums here. They can read from the other weightlifting forums (bodybuilding, supplements and nutrition, rate my physique, etc), they just cant post to them for the first month or whatever the trial period might be. That’s not such a draconian measure, is it?
That way, newbies would learn to use the “search” tools and they would have to read a bunch of stuff that would convince them that the workout Prissy Percy down at “Shake Your Booty Fitness Center” isn’t a good one.

You don’t even need a month - a week would do the trick. Most people asking the dumb questions find the site, sign on, post really stupid things, and leave. Many of these people are obviously trolls.

No such changes will be made, however. If anything, there will be a “speech code” requiring people who actually know stuff to be “civil” before there is any regulation of newbies and trolls.

There are still some useful threads (the AD thread comes to mind) but if you have a really tough question (not, “yo dude, what’s the difference between Metabolic Drive and Surge?”), the number of people who regularly post on the forum who will be qualified to answer will be close to nill.

It will be very interesting to see what the forums have become in a year or so after the trolls have driven out people who actually know stuff.

I think its an ok idea. I guess im a bit of a softee and overly concerned about people but my fear is this: a 15 year old kid is READY to do a cycle he has NO IDEA how to implement, no knowledge of PCT, etc etc…and he comes on a site like this to ask, “Is this all ok?” And of course everyone says…“NO, YOURE NOT READY…ETC ETC ETC” And it may prevent him from harming himself…

Im not a 15 year old but I am 24 and I thought I was ready after 2 years training and 15% body fat…but realized after getting responses after my first post that I was NOT ready and that I still had much genetic potential, etc etc etc.

At the same time, I see everyone’s concern.

A week would be sufficient as CaliforniaLaw suggests and any longer may be too much because I imagine there are quite a few competent people that join this site every day.

I’m relatively new to the site, but I can generally write coherent messages while not pissing people off. Not to mention that the search function is ftw (so much info at fingertips).

Then again, sometimes we have to realize that a lot of us here take for granted our basic writing skills. I still can’t get over those damn posters that write an entire page with ZERO paragraph breaks. It’s like…agh…did you even proof read your own words? Probably not, because then you’d realize how incredibly hard it is to read a gargantuan block of words.

[quote]49ersFan81 wrote:
I think its an ok idea. I guess im a bit of a softee and overly concerned about people but my fear is this: a 15 year old kid is READY to do a cycle he has NO IDEA how to implement, no knowledge of PCT, etc etc…and he comes on a site like this to ask, “Is this all ok?” And of course everyone says…“NO, YOURE NOT READY…ETC ETC ETC” And it may prevent him from harming himself…

[/quote]

I see your point and think it is a valid one. However, it is not as though such a person would not be able to post at all. He would be able to post in the beginners forum, for example.

The situation will always be less than perfect. I am just trying to think of a good compromise between the newbies and the oldies, seeing as some of the latter have recently voiced annoyance at having forums swamped with threads that seem too elementary, silly or redundant.

Anything would be better then the current program.

ohhhh ok i get it now. I should have read the first post carefully. In that case, I agree.

I know Im still a newbie in a sense so I hope the new policies dont effect the “older” newbies. haha

[quote]49ersFan81 wrote:
ohhhh ok i get it now. I should have read the first post carefully. In that case, I agree.

I know Im still a newbie in a sense so I hope the new policies dont effect the “older” newbies. haha[/quote]

Well, since you apparently are a 49ers fan (I am, too) an exception can be made for you :slight_smile:

[quote]49ersFan81 wrote:

I know Im still a newbie in a sense so I hope the new policies dont effect the “older” newbies. haha[/quote]

That depends…

Do you accept Chad Waterbury as your personal savior?

Bad idea. Newbies mean potential new business for this site. Alienating these newbies shouldn’t sit well with T-Nation staff.

As for dealing with it–just deal with it. I can’t imagine it is so bad that it ruins your entire day.

I find some of them entertaining, to say the least.

[quote]orion wrote:
That depends…

Do you accept Chad Waterbury as your personal savior?[/quote]

What a coincidence! I just started a new thread imploring members to accept Charles Poliquin as their Personal Trainer/Savior
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1593057

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
You don’t even need a month - a week would do the trick. [/quote].

Even a week is too long if the poster is active. How many times have you seen from the very first post that the poster will add nothing of value to the site. Number of posts means more than time.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
orion wrote:
That depends…

Do you accept Chad Waterbury as your personal savior?

What a coincidence! I just started a new thread imploring members to accept Charles Poliquin as their Personal Trainer/Savior
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1593057

[/quote]

Blasphemy!

YES I DO!

haha

oh yeah and GO 9ers!!!