T Nation

Dealing with Fear

[quote]anonym wrote:
You should put about 20 staples into your arm.[/quote]

x2

I’ll take the stapling under advisement

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I was scared to death to ride a motorcycle. I had wanted one for years but the truth was, it was hard for me to do…until my grandmother died.

I am one of those types of people who hates having anything get the upper hand as far as “life” is concerned. If something scares me, I want to conquer it even more than I would otherwise.

Every time I got on that bike, what made me push the limits was focusing on every emotion that fired up after she died. I wrote this about that concept a while back:

To get over a fear like that takes finding whatever hate, guilt, fear, anger or passion-filled “fire” that got you to that point in life and focusing on that until you get through it.

I relate it that line in the Animated Dark Knight movies…“You don’t deal with pain, Bruce…you work through it”.

This is true.

I love my bike now. I also take risks that most would be afraid to. But then, dying doesn’t exactly scare me that much at this point. I refuse to let fear control me that way.[/quote]

some fears are not all bad

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
I’ll take the stapling under advisement[/quote]

and just incase you have not read this article on Kroc yet…

Someone may have mentioned this above, but I think fear of the unknown is big. So, now that you’ve had the experience once, it’s not a complete unknown. You figured out what you did that cut off the air briefly, you know the size of the space, the equipment you’ll wear. I’m confident that if you do the practice runs you mentioned, on top of having done it once, that you’ll surprise yourself at how easy it is next time.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

I was scared to death to ride a motorcycle. I had wanted one for years but the truth was, it was hard for me to do…until my grandmother died.

I am one of those types of people who hates having anything get the upper hand as far as “life” is concerned. If something scares me, I want to conquer it even more than I would otherwise.

Every time I got on that bike, what made me push the limits was focusing on every emotion that fired up after she died. I wrote this about that concept a while back:

To get over a fear like that takes finding whatever hate, guilt, fear, anger or passion-filled “fire” that got you to that point in life and focusing on that until you get through it.

I relate it that line in the Animated Dark Knight movies…“You don’t deal with pain, Bruce…you work through it”.

This is true.

I love my bike now. I also take risks that most would be afraid to. But then, dying doesn’t exactly scare me that much at this point. I refuse to let fear control me that way.[/quote]

[/quote]

The only bad fear is fear of fear.

Here is a great recommendation on a website regarding dealing with fear. Brian Germain is well known in the skydivers circles for his seminars and books.

http://www.transcendingfear.com/

I highly recommend the book Transcending Fear for most people to read, it seriously can give you a new perspective on a lot of things in life, not just the normal major things we fear.

There are some really great articles on the website too!

[quote]Carnage wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

This is true.

[/quote]

The only bad fear is fear of fear.[/quote]

yabbadabba-dibbydoobie

…punk

the only thing we have to fear is fear itself…and finding out the hot chick at the bar at 2 am is really a tranny five minutes and one handful of flesh too late

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[quote]Carnage wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

This is true.

[/quote]

yabbadabba-dibbydoobie

…punk
[/quote]

Could be, who knows… The internet sure is a great measuring tool for one’s personality.

And it is a corny line.

Eitherway, congrats on overcoming your fear of water.

Seems like you did it yourself and didn’t get caught in paralysis by analysis.

Give up you worm. You just don’t have the sack.

(does it ruin it if I tell you this is just for spite motivation?)

[quote]Carnage wrote:

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[quote]Carnage wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

This is true.

[/quote]

yabbadabba-dibbydoobie

…punk
[/quote]

Could be, who knows… The internet sure is a great measuring tool for one’s personality.

And it is a corny line.

Eitherway, congrats on overcoming your fear of water.

Seems like you did it yourself and didn’t get caught in paralysis by analysis.
[/quote]

Just jokes dude.

and thanks.

Buy several pipes ranging in size, the smallest being what you will climb through in training.

Start going through the larger pipe every day for as long as it takes for the nervousness to go down. Move to the next largest pipe. Repeat.

Do this until you’re at the smallest pipe. Classic systematic desensitization ftw.

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
the only way the mask would shut off is if you were compressing it down into the floor, only happened the one time, I learned not to do that again.

the 16" is actually a drill going through the spaces in between studs in a framed wall, not a 16" hole. 16" wide by maybe 30" high. It is still a major bitch to maneuver and compress yourself through a space that small.

the 18" was the opening into a 3’ wide pipe, half the opening blocked, then two more obstacles inside the pipe each also covering 1/2 the pipe diameter. that stuff I had no problem with. [/quote]

Are you sure the mask stopped providing air? A closed failure is extremely rare, and can usually be overcome by activating the bypass valve. I find it hard to believe that you cutoff the air (compressed high pressure hose) that tight during low profile drills.