T Nation

Dealing with Depression, Maintain Lifting?

Its a debilitating thing to have. It makes everything such a chore so hard to do. Some of the new meds well, relatively new take a while to work. Depression goes with anxiety, though some don’t have much of one or the other but just one predominates.

My strategy is to try to do something, walk, lift, even if its baby weights, and use bands.
I had this happen once before back in 2001 and what i can remember was after about 3 to 4 months I just started to feel myself again, felt better. Its like I’ve lost my soul and have to keep reminding myself to do this or do that. right now I am going through the motions to do my monday workout.
Just wondering if others have had any bouts of this trouble or if you are currently having some now. anyway… I am going to try to do something now.

Think of the things that motivate you to become better… make a list of these things. I’m not talking about the ‘I workout bc it makes me healthy’. I’m talking about the real freudian shit deep down inside… they may seem narcissistic or primitive but these are the things that really make us tick.

Some of mine… I remember how much I hate my ex-gf and that each workout makes me better than the fat weak-willed piece of shit I was when I was with her, I think of every girl I meet being sexually attracted to me, and I think of the fact that if I can’t do this there is someone out there who can… and I refuse to believe that any person has more will power than I do.

When you feel like you don’t want to lift, go through this list and you’ll find your motivation.

Depression . . . that’s a bitch. People who don’t suffer from it don’t have a clue . . . they think you can just wish it away or something.

Couple of things: set a routine of going to the gym, 3 days a week, or 4 days, whatever, always on the same days. Once you get the habit, it becomes automatic, no matter how you feel.

Also try to socialize as much as possible. When I chat with people, helps melt the blues away.

It’s springtime . . . try to spend as much time in the sun as you can. Light therapy works.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Depression . . . that’s a bitch. People who don’t suffer from it don’t have a clue . . . they think you can just wish it away or something.

Couple of things: set a routine of going to the gym, 3 days a week, or 4 days, whatever, always on the same days. Once you get the habit, it becomes automatic, no matter how you feel.

Also try to socialize as much as possible. When I chat with people, helps melt the blues away.

It’s springtime . . . try to spend as much time in the sun as you can. Light therapy works.[/quote]

thank you for your wise response.

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:
Think of the things that motivate you to become better… make a list of these things. I’m not talking about the ‘I workout bc it makes me healthy’. I’m talking about the real freudian shit deep down inside… they may seem narcissistic or primitive but these are the things that really make us tick.

Some of mine… I remember how much I hate my ex-gf and that each workout makes me better than the fat weak-willed piece of shit I was when I was with her, I think of every girl I meet being sexually attracted to me, and I think of the fact that if I can’t do this there is someone out there who can… and I refuse to believe that any person has more will power than I do.

When you feel like you don’t want to lift, go through this list and you’ll find your motivation.

[/quote]

thanks for you input

Get a copy of “Breaking the Patterns of Depression” by Michale Yapko. Best self help book I’ve seen on depression. (I am a licensed psychotherapist) See a therapist that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy.

And keep working out. Lift but also do some aerobic exercise daily.

Depression is shit. But in all honesty. I’m glad I have been there and got the t-shirt. I’m a better stronger person for having experienced it.

Mine was heavily influenced by anxiety at the time (I’m still an anxious person but I’ve taught myself how to control it). I had counselling as I didn’t want medicine. the coucelling helped, but it was trying to make me look outside of myself for the solution. I stopped after a while.

How I dealt with it.

1-(the most important in my eyes)- You get shitty thoughts? shitty feelings? Don’t fight them off or push them away or try to ignore it and “be happy” - They come back stronger and in larger numbers. Accept them fully, invite them in, examine them, get to the root of it. Realize it was just a thought… a feeling, and just like good happy thoughts its just a fleeting moment in your life. Stuff gets better.

2- Got a job doing something I had always hated and caused me a lot of anxiety. Pushed through it still hate it, but I can handle it. I find confronting what makes me anxious helps - within reason (A bear would make me anxious, I’m not going to fight it) In my case, talking to random people,

3- LEARNING to not care too much about what others thought of me. (Completely different to aggressively stating “I don’t give a F**k” etc etc)

4- Just being. (simlair to number 1 - just be)

5- Find someting that empassions/interests you and lights a little spark inside that black hole your in. Make it part of your life. Use it as kindling to light a flame inside you again. It can be anything.

I know everyone is different and different things work for different people, but I hope you get sorted out.

yes do exercise!

know what is incompatible with depression?

endorphins!

lift heavy / train hard as you can!

(i appreciate that depression can make it hard to find the motivation… but if you manage to get those endorphins flowing exercise will be its own reward. squats and deads ftw!)

Dont forget the fish oil.

tweet

Imagine every additional 6-8Lbs lifted
as another baby you can throw off of a cliff.

Less human babies = less human suffering

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

Less human babies = less human suffering[/quote]

x2

[quote]Josann wrote:
Get a copy of “Breaking the Patterns of Depression” by Michale Yapko. Best self help book I’ve seen on depression. (I am a licensed psychotherapist) See a therapist that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy.

And keep working out. Lift but also do some aerobic exercise daily. [/quote]

Ok Thanks. I do notice that after i workout I feel like the depression is lifting so I know I am on the right path. Also as you know that when we are able to be helpful to others this is a great way to get a positive reward. Of course when one is depressed its hard to give to others.
Thanks

[quote]alexus wrote:
yes do exercise!

know what is incompatible with depression?

endorphins!

lift heavy / train hard as you can!

(i appreciate that depression can make it hard to find the motivation… but if you manage to get those endorphins flowing exercise will be its own reward. squats and deads ftw!)[/quote]

Hey thanks. I didn’t know that specifically, but i totally agree with you since i have been making myself move and i am starting to see that the depression is lifting. Thank you

[quote]theBird wrote:
Dont forget the fish oil.

tweet[/quote]

I know i do take it everyday plus eat two salmon meals a week. … Thanks

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

ok well I’ll think about becoming a better person. thanks

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Depression is shit. But in all honesty. I’m glad I have been there and got the t-shirt. I’m a better stronger person for having experienced it.

Mine was heavily influenced by anxiety at the time (I’m still an anxious person but I’ve taught myself how to control it). I had counselling as I didn’t want medicine. the coucelling helped, but it was trying to make me look outside of myself for the solution. I stopped after a while.

How I dealt with it.

1-(the most important in my eyes)- You get shitty thoughts? shitty feelings? Don’t fight them off or push them away or try to ignore it and “be happy” - They come back stronger and in larger numbers. Accept them fully, invite them in, examine them, get to the root of it. Realize it was just a thought… a feeling, and just like good happy thoughts its just a fleeting moment in your life. Stuff gets better.

2- Got a job doing something I had always hated and caused me a lot of anxiety. Pushed through it still hate it, but I can handle it. I find confronting what makes me anxious helps - within reason (A bear would make me anxious, I’m not going to fight it) In my case, talking to random people,

3- LEARNING to not care too much about what others thought of me. (Completely different to aggressively stating “I don’t give a F**k” etc etc)

4- Just being. (simlair to number 1 - just be)

5- Find someting that empassions/interests you and lights a little spark inside that black hole your in. Make it part of your life. Use it as kindling to light a flame inside you again. It can be anything.

I know everyone is different and different things work for different people, but I hope you get sorted out.[/quote]

I am impressed with the understanding that you and others have shown me truely. I like what you had to say about ignite a little spark, nice! I like that you said “stuff gets better”
you know when your feeling so low you don’t think that this will pass or you will get over it. The mind is powerful and it finds its way into a tome of suffering.
My depression, exhaustion is the result of anxiety coupled with some physical injury and more stress from being sick with the flu, things just added up.

When one is in depression it has a different feel than when ones mood is running “normally”.
thanks

[quote]silee wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

ok well I’ll think about becoming a better person. thanks[/quote]

Welcome.
For real though, I’ve had tremendous success dealing with my depression By practicing Zen Buddhism and consistently working out.
I know it’s tough to get going sometimes but just remember that getting started is the hardest part and it’s Always better to do something than nothing. If you really feel like shit, fine, Fuck it just do SOMETHING productive and be done. Move on to something else.

Also very Important to limit your time in front of your TV. Nothing makes me feel more depressed than watching a lot of TV. So if you’re looking for an escape from reality and your depression I would urge you to do almost anything else than soaking up commercials and advertisements intentionally designed to make you feel like something is missing from your life and it needs to be filled by something outside of you. Happiness comes from within your own mind and TV can very much dull your mind and make you feel lethargic and worthless.

Practice smiling as well.
Whenever you see a mirror smile at yourself, even if its fake and forced. The act of smiling triggers your brain to feel happy whether you like it or not. So Smile, laugh, watch how when you smile at others they’ll start to smile. It’s too easy not to do. Girls are extremely attracted to guys who smile more and all people are more friendly if you show them a nice smile.

Not to crap on anyone experiencing difficulties with depression - but the I firmly believe the first area you should look at when dealing with depression is your diet.

Ensure you’re getting ample amounts of Omega-3’s (like very high doses); vitamin D (5,000IU/day minimum) and have at least TRIED eliminating grains and dairy to see if they have an effect.

Your brain and body definitely does not have a Prozac deficiency. Its very likely that it may have an omega-3 and/or vitamin D deficiency though.

Pgtips - very, very true, the worst thing you can do is deny it’s there.

Hungryone, diet does make a difference. Lots of carbs and/or refined sugar can cause wild mood swings. Grains and dairy are possible problems. Keep protein up, make sure you have vitamin & minerals. As for Prozac deficiency . . . well, it’s not required for health, but people can have seratonin deficiency and Prozac can regulate that.