Dealing with Calluses

quick question to all those that train without the need for gloves…

After putting it of for years, Ive started doing deads (ouch) and also started frequently doing dips and chins to my routine (ouch)

one thing im starting to have trouble with is calluses.
I took a week of doing weights. my calluses got soft. went back and hit the dealift hard, but in the process, ripped all my calluses of (ouch again)

ones pretty scabby now and hurt like a mother when i was lifting yesterday. is there anything i can do to sort this out or help it (aside from covering it with a plaster) or am i being a pussy and need to just suck it up?

anyguys with tip or tricks in this department would be greatfully recived.

oh and using gloves is not an option.

also, alicia sacramone’s ass in that other thread… holy sh*t /tear

www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm

I say suck it up! I’ve never used gloves, that might be why i dont have a problem with it because my hands pretty much got used to it from the time i lifted a 10lb dumbell :slight_smile: If the picture there is of you i would maybe cover it up :slight_smile: Whenever mine gets a bit bad i just rip it off and it works out pretty good.

ihh gloves, for what ? my muscle rebuilds stronger, and my skin does it as well.

pay attention with girls, too mach calluses is not so sexy :S

ps : after some time you won’t have these bulky calluses, you will just have some kind of thicker skin. (personal experiences, maybe that varies)

If you’ll grip more toward your fingers rather than in the center of your palm, that will help. Also, use chalk.

I still get some calluses, and the wife doesn’t really like them if they’re rough. So I use some 240 grit silicon carbide sandpaper to smooth them out. Another trick is to keep a scotch-brite pad wherever you wash your hands the most, and use it on the insides of your hands.

thanks petrichor! the callus removing guide is helpfull. had a go this morning on 2 remaining calluses and it seemed to get them off a bit.

I don’t want to wear gloves. no point.

lorenz, my chick hates the fact that my hands are getting a bit crappy, but then, i hate the fact her feet are crusty as she’s on them all day :slight_smile:

that pics not me andyyboy (thank christ) its not that bad yet.

do have one dirty callus though that turned into a scab and was bleeding so had to bandage/seal it up a the gym.

i think ill try fileing them for a bit. if they dont get used to that after a few months ill stop fileing them and just let nature take its course…

gulp

edit: also thanks for the tips jay. gonna start doing a few of those things too…

[quote]souldown wrote:
[/quote]

Wouldn’t gloves help prevent at least some calluses or the magnitude of those calluses?

[quote]strawberrysunday wrote:
souldown wrote:

Wouldn’t gloves help prevent at least some calluses or the magnitude of those calluses? [/quote]

Yes but he mentioned a girlfriend, which means straight, which means no gloves.

[quote]strawberrysunday wrote:
souldown wrote:

Wouldn’t gloves help prevent at least some calluses or the magnitude of those calluses? [/quote]

It depends. Having a callus smushed between a glove and a bar hurts a hell of a lot more than not using gloves in the first place.

Why do people rip on gloves? I wear gloves because I’d rather focus on lifting than the skin on my palms ripping. You still get calluses, but they’re not as rough. Women tend to not like your palms giving them cuts.

People rip on gloves for the same reason as straps.

I use sandpaper on my calluses once they start pinching.

Who rips on straps?.. and what is this reason?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
strawberrysunday wrote:

Yes but he mentioned a girlfriend, which means straight, which means no gloves.[/quote]

fcuk that made me lolzor.

yea im not lifting much comparitivley. so no belts, buckles, straps and wraps and gloves. im not a powerlifter deading 500kg.

I do seem to be the only on in my gym using the squat bar to squat though aside from one time, and ive never see anyone deadlifting there.

Wtf gloves ?

You cant deadlift in gloves, your grip will get messed up hardcore.

I tried to lift in gloves when I ripped a callous, and I could barely hold 365, it was pathetic.

I just taped it up and used spray alcohol on the bar before and after so I dont catch anything, and no one gets anything from me.

Just get a pocket knife and some really fine grit sandpaper, cut the top off, then get a little water and wet sand that shit down smooth.

I do it once a month or so.

If you let them get too thick, eventually the tip gets “pointy” and it will catch on the bar and rip, you have to keep them trimmed or lose them.

we are in the 21st century btw, check this out →

i dont understand why everyone hits on gloves, they are there to aid, i know they help me lift heavier and more frequently, because i dont have painfull, unnecessary calluses holding me back. And having the right gloves (am talking about good thick ones, which offer protection and grip, like the ones above) will only help your forearm/wrist strengh and grip in the end, because its the same effect as having a towel wrapped around the bar, in my opinion.

Gloves won’t help you lift heavier and more frequently.

They will do two things:
1.) Make you look inexperienced
2.) Keep you from lifting more

As far as calluses go; you have to lift heavy for a while to get your skin to “thicken up” around those areas. From time to time I do get some dead skin there and I just pick it off; a few days later I’m ready to rock.

You have to be a man to get past the stage your at…do you have it in you?

Feck mate, your hands are a mess tbh.

Go with chalk.

If you can get them in the US try using Compeed blister pads every other workout.