T Nation

Dealing With a Lousy Appetite

My appetite is that of a 10 year old girl, I could easily get through a day by just eating some toast for breakfast. I am not exaggerating in the slightest, and for a while thats all i ever did.

I find eating harder than 20 rep squats for the most part, and I know that its the factor that is holding back my progress.

On top of all this, I have found out I have hyperthyroidism, so my metabolism is that of a rocket car, on top of my shitty appetite. I'm not suprised now why I used to weigh 98lbs at a height of 5'6" (At 17). I'm now 18 and have managed to get to 134lbs and have so far grown to 5'8". My parents are both tall too, mother at 5'9" and dad at 6'2". I just never ate enough to grow sufficiently.

Now I don't care about my height anymore, I can deal with it. Though I do want to get to at least 170lbs and start walking around with some muscle. But i need to EAT MORE!

I talked to the doctor and he said the only thing he could think of would be to put me on a light cycle of anavar, but he is highly against me taking steroids for the time being.

Do you guys have any tips/advice I can use to get at least 3000 calories down my neck of a day? And im lactose intolerant =/

If Im lifting heavy enough, theres no way I cant hit 3000 cals a day, especially on squat days.

See if that works for you.

I have a pretty small appetite per meal I guess is how I would put it, but being on a heavy strenght program makes me hungry constantly.

Try taking in large amounts of calories around your workouts in the form of a pwo drink and protein or BCAA. Eat at least three to four good protein meals and chug down a shake between them when you couldn't bare the sight of anymore food. Eat by a clock and not your hunger.

You'll probably have to do some force feeding in the beginning but eventually you'll adapt and be hungry enough to easily but down the food you'll need.

Sucks? Yes, but if you really want to gain 40 lean lbs you'll figure out a way to get it done.

Just like you force out those last few reps, force that food down. Stuff yourself at every meal, and eat every couple of hours. Eat high fat foods. Make 3000 a goal and man up and do it!

I have the same problem
In the last 2 weeks have gone from 2000 to 2500 on average per day. Just be conscious of what you are eating and consider adding flax oil and/or olive oil - theyre so calorifically dense. I add flax to my shakes and olive oil to my vegies, along with chili flakes, as per TCs reccomendation. Helps.

In addition to the protein drinks, look for ways to add nutritious calories to your existing food without having to eat more volume. For instance, sprinkle a little vanilla whey protein on your cereal before you add the milk. Add some olive oil to your pasta sauce, salad, etc. Put almond butter on your toast.

Also, take fish oil supplements and make sure you get something sugary and some protein drink into you right at the end of a workout. You might also sip a sports or recovery drink while you work out. Finally, add a small before bed snack to your routine. A protein shake, some fruit, fish oil supplements, and a fiber supplement isn't that filling, but it will give you the macronutrients you need to recover from your workouts while you sleep.

LOL, I've been trying to force down 7000 cals/day. Though I do remember my days of forcing down 3000. As you grow you'll naturally eat more food, but it never gets easier. Regardless of how much you eat to maintain, you'll have to force-feed the last bit of food to grow. I do the AD, so here are some low-carb bulking options.

Peanut Butter Fluff:
8tbsp natural PB
14g canola oil (or other)
4 tbsp milled flaxseed
1 scoop protein powder
cinnamon and cocoa to flavor

Mix all together until it has a fluffy, whipped texture. Do not add water or it will get sticky gooey, unless you like that sort of thing. This is about 1100 calories.

Peanut Butter milk:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4.5 tbsp natural peanut butter
3 scoops chocolate protein

Add water to desired consistency and blend in blender. This is about 2000 calories.

Olive Oil Shake:
80g oil (I usually go 60 olive 20 fish, but all olive oil tastes better)
3 scoops protein
cocoa and cinnamon to taste (optional)

Add water and either blend or mix in shaker. Once you get past the oily texture it is quite delicious. This is about 1050 calories.

thanks for the tips, yeah i'm just going to have to start taking more shakes with more protein I think, as well as like doubling portion sizes of meals. going to be expensive. I'm doing the AD as well, any more ideas would be awesome.

schwarz, those recipes sound fantastic! Got any others you'd be willing to share? My diet is pretty basic right now; lotta sausage, bacon, burgers, etc. Also, I like to use strawberry whey, particularly ON whey, and just dump 5-6 tbsp into it. The taste is so sweet that it totally eliminates the taste of the olive oil.

Yeah I'm in a similar position to epimetheus, but using flax oil over olive oil. I can't quite come at olive oil in drinking form, give me some time ^^

thanks for the tips guys, I am also thinking of getting some Metabolic Drive Complete and having around 4 of those a day, adding in a tbsp of peanut butter or so. I can down the protein shakes fairly easily