T Nation

Deaf Kid Hears For First Time

i came

http://videos.mediaite.com/video/This-Exists-Video-Of-Deaf-Baby

Our body is awesome but never take it for granted.

wow, that's awesome!

what happened? he just started to hear? surgery?

If you watch to the end you see him turn his head and he has a device behind his ear. They turned it on and he could hear.

The device is a cochlea implant, about 20 sensors in a wire are inserted into the cochlea and they stimulate the auditory nerve to simulate hearing. It works, but only has about 1/100th of the range and fidelity of a properly working ear.

yeah great for the kid, he can now hear most of the stupid shit a lot of people say yadda yadda, yet the kid and me thought we were going to see one of mommy's tits...storms off disappointed

Fark.

That was... something.

I approve.

Great vid, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

That's a great story.

If this happened to me I'd go around for about 2 months saying "Wow...that doesn't sound like I thought it would!"

That's a great story.

If this happened to me I'd go around for about 2 months saying "Wow...that doesn't sound like I thought it would!"

Um, double post, uh, in honor of this boys 2 ears!

x2.

I'd be really interested in how it feels for one who has always lacked one of their senses, to suddently get that sense. Getting a totaly new input must feel amazing. I was hoping the video was of an older kid, so I could get a more "indeph" response..(Though seeing that smile, was quite heartwarming as well)