deads vs. squats

if you had to choose between deadlifts and squats,which one would you choose,and why?

I would do both and screw whatever the third invisible exercise is.

why would you ever have to choose?

Exactly, P-Dog.

That choice is like choosing between two hot twins… just with less iron.

Deadlifts.

But that’s just because I like 'em and I have a body structure that’s good for deadlifting.

But I can’t imagine a situation where it would be: “Okay, you gotta choose.” Unless it’s like, hell’s gym, in which case I would be able to choose between leg curls and leg extensions.

Dan “Be tossin’ & flossin’, my style is awesome” McVicker

IF I had to choose, though I’m with P-DOG on why anyone would ever need to choose, I’d pick deads in a heartbeat. They work so much more of the body; even my forearms have gotten bigger from pulling!

LOL! I agree, Fat Panda–less iron. You’d HAVE to be anemic to look at it as a choice! One-a-Day, I say!

Just to be different I will say squats. Cos squatting will transfer to bigger deads (in most cases) better than the other way round. Plus deads are more taxing on the CNS.

I like both as well but prefer squats because it takes more guts to get under a heavy load and push it ass to the ground.

Here are my new personal bests:

deadlift: 6 plates/ side for a single
5 plates/ side for 10
(done pulling from the ground with no gear used except for straps because I hate the opposed grip - unneccessarily hard on my shoulder)

Squat: 4 plates/ side for 6 reps
(done ass to the ground with no gear used at all and bar sitting high on neck/ traps).

Don’t want to look like a bragger but I am pretty proud of these accomplishments.

christ p-22, have you considered training westside?

Nope I’m in it for the looks. I’m into bodybuilding - building the most aesthetically perfect physique I can, these moves just happen to be means to an end. I’m just glad I played football when I was young, which, influenced me to incorporate these movements at an early age.

[quote]
“…Cos squatting will transfer to bigger deads (in most cases) better than the other way round.”
Too true.
I have been negleting my squats while trying to get my Deadlift up… christ its bloddy pathetic now!
looks like it back to squats for a while

Deads.

IF.

Agree you should not be choosing between the 2 but including both in your training.

Deads! Wow, was I the 1st person to answer? For me, deads use more muscle groups than squats.

Tough choice but I would have to choose Pull-ups. Okay, just kidding.

If pushed to choose between Squats and Deads, I choose Squats, reasons:

1. Number one total leg developer.
  2. Back developer
  3. Ab involvement
  4. I also feel them in my shoulders, and traps.

Barbell swings. I’d swing a barbell at the bastard who wants to prohibit me from doing either squats or deadlifts. Then I’d do the rest of my workout as planned.

deadlifts are a total dody excercise. for legs only then squats. laters pk