T Nation

Deads & Knee Pain

Aloha CT,

I kind of tweaked the knee a little bit. Iced all weekend but still swollen and painful to use. Wondering if I should do Rack Pulls instead of Sumo Deadlifts (sumo position really bothers it at this time) for a couple of weeks. What are your thoughts?

[quote]HawaiiTunya wrote:
Aloha CT,

I kind of tweaked the knee a little bit. Iced all weekend but still swollen and painful to use. Wondering if I should do Rack Pulls instead of Sumo Deadlifts (sumo position really bothers it at this time) for a couple of weeks. What are your thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, but to the rack pulls below the knees (if your knee is okay with it) and do not use straps, see it as a good opportunity to build your grip strength

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Aloha CT,

I kind of tweaked the knee a little bit. Iced all weekend but still swollen and painful to use. Wondering if I should do Rack Pulls instead of Sumo Deadlifts (sumo position really bothers it at this time) for a couple of weeks. What are your thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, but to the rack pulls below the knees (if your knee is okay with it) and do not use straps, see it as a good opportunity to build your grip strength[/quote]

It seems to be okay with the traditional stance. Will do…below the knees, no straps. :slight_smile: Mahalo.

Aloha CT,

Yes, but to the rack pulls below the knees (if your knee is okay with it) and do not use straps, see it as a good opportunity to build your grip strength[/quote]

It seems to be okay with the traditional stance. Will do…below the knees, no straps. :slight_smile: Mahalo.[/quote]

Okay, below the knee, though I got through the training still feeling some sharp pain in the knee.

Someone else was doing Reverse Band … tried that and even though it was a lighter weight, it felt okay. Should I try next week with the Reverse Band or go higher on the pin settings with Rack Pulls?

Aloha CT,

It seems to be okay with the traditional stance. Will do…below the knees, no straps. :slight_smile: Mahalo.[/quote]

Okay, below the knee, though I got through the training still feeling some sharp pain in the knee.

Someone else was doing Reverse Band … tried that and even though it was a lighter weight, it felt okay. Should I try next week with the Reverse Band or go higher on the pin settings with Rack Pulls?[/quote]

Try a higher pin setting. And also try to see someone about that knee issue.

Aloha CT,

Someone else was doing Reverse Band … tried that and even though it was a lighter weight, it felt okay. Should I try next week with the Reverse Band or go higher on the pin settings with Rack Pulls?[/quote]

Try a higher pin setting. And also try to see someone about that knee issue.[/quote]

Couple of things that I noticed with the Rack Pulls from pins:

1. A transference of the work load from the legs to the back.
  2. I am much weaker in that lift than Deads from the floor. Which to me shows how much my back is lagging behind and I need to work on creating some more back strength.
  3. So looking at this from a positive side…good chance to bring that area into balance with the strength of my legs.

*Love to hear your thoughts on the above.

Have all ready made an appointment for late this morning to have the knee looked at. I will let you know what the doc says this afternoon. I am thinking it has something to do with the medial meniscus.

Aloha CT.

Appointment with Dr. Rowen regarding knee pain. Dr. Rowen is a Doctor of Physiatry.

She doesn’t want me to stop anything, just modify some things, which you have already suggested the modified Deadlifts to Rack Pulls from pins, adjusting the height next week. Her diagnosis is Hip Flexors are too tight and the left hip was almost two inches higher than the right. After a couple of adjustments I am all evened out at this time.

Some of the stretches and mobility are things I already knew and need to incorporate in my warm-up and some very specific stretches to do at the end. I need to really focus on the Left IT Band…with all the scar tissue there she says its pulling on the hip as well and adding to the problem. She really feels that after I start these new stretches the pain in the knees should disappear.

@Hawaii: I had a friend who went through this once and after a few sessions of osteopath the issues seemed to dissolve. Just an idea. That’s awesome you can still lift though. Looking at where you are now & how far you’ve came & how many people you’ve inspired & helped along the way, you’re awesome!!!

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Hawaii: I had a friend who went through this once and after a few sessions of osteopath the issues seemed to dissolve. Just an idea. That’s awesome you can still lift though. Looking at where you are now & how far you’ve came & how many people you’ve inspired & helped along the way, you’re awesome!!![/quote]

Mahalo sput for the compliment. I enjoy helping others; if my trials, obstacles and lessons a long the way inspire and assist others to be more fit than my life is truly blessed.

I can already tell a difference. Though it was still difficult getting sleep, much easier getting out of bed this morning. Very minimal amount of pain in left knee and my gait and walk is at least 70% better. Amazing the difference from just last night to this morning.

Mind sharing some of the mobility work she is having you do? I believe I have a similar problem with my left knee. No real pain but it crackles. Add in my hip issues and a very tight IT band, and I believe that can solve the problem!

Thanks for sharing all of this btw! Quick recovery :slight_smile:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Mind sharing some of the mobility work she is having you do? I believe I have a similar problem with my left knee. No real pain but it crackles. Add in my hip issues and a very tight IT band, and I believe that can solve the problem!

Thanks for sharing all of this btw! Quick recovery :)[/quote]

Of course I’ll share.

BTW, everyone should note that the tight hip flexors, IT Band, etc. not only affects the knees but can cause low back problems and really tighten up the Psoas as well.

I will try to get some video of the specific stretches for post workout.

Let me see if I can scan the mobility stuff and I will post it here. :slight_smile: Some of them are ones that I learned from Eric Cressey.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

Thanks for sharing all of this btw! Quick recovery :)[/quote]

The biggest thing for the IT Band…FOAM ROLLING. I know this, hurts like a mofo…but I WILL do it every day.

Yeah I already do it every day…I may have to upgrade to a PVC pipe or something :slight_smile:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Yeah I already do it every day…I may have to upgrade to a PVC pipe or something :)[/quote]

ZJ,

I-bomb posted some great stuff in my Indigo log that you mind useful. Check it out.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_indigo_2/hawaiitunya_indigo_3g_project_log?pageNo=106#5618792