Deads From A Deficit

Has anyone had any success doing deads from a deficit ( standing on a 2 inch platform). The extra 2 inches you have to move the dead is a killer. I have a 405 convential dead.

Tonights workout I managed 295 for 6 singles , I then decided to try 315 and it didn’t budge I then tried 315 off the floor and I still could not deadlift it. Hopefully these will carry over to dead from the floor.

During the summer I focused on power cleans so this has something to do with my strength being down.

I dunno what carryover I’m going to get, but about 3-4 months ago I had a 435 conventional dead, and a week ago I deadlifted 425 from six inches up. I’ll update ya next time I deadlift.

The key I’ve found is to make it almost a stiff legged deadlift. I can get it up to just below my knees with leg and back power and then from that point on it’s almost all back.

Are you really weak off the floor?

I don’t know how much it would help you with a conventional pull because most people are weak at the top not off the floor. But when i made the switch to sumo, pulling off of a box helped me tremendously.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
The key I’ve found is to make it almost a stiff legged deadlift. I can get it up to just below my knees with leg and back power and then from that point on it’s almost all back.[/quote]

That’s actually poor form - the whole point is to develop better leg drive off the floor so the back doesn’t have to handle so much of the load when you pull from the standard height. It should look exactly like a regular dead, only deeper.

Load should be more on the hips than the back at lockout. Take a look at the Deadlift Diagnosis article - I think Eric Cressey wrote it.

-Dan

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
I don’t know how much it would help you with a conventional pull because most people are weak at the top not off the floor. But when i made the switch to sumo, pulling off of a box helped me tremendously.[/quote]

I havent pulled from a deficeit but I have a 425 conventional pull and I am definitely weak of the floor- well once I get passed my heaviest weight I cant move it off of the ground. Dont know if this shows a significant weakness or if it is common or not. Take it for what its worth.
TR

I had a 415 DL about 3 months ago and I started pulling from an 8", then went to 6", then 4", then 2" and my max went to a 467.5. I fell the pulls from a deficit has helped my prgress tremendously.

http://media.putfile.com/MVI_0421

I love these…I had a 565 dead several years ago (before 3 knee surgeries and a back surgery, now my deads don’t get heavier then 405) and I attributed that to pulling from a deficit…

I was just doing elevated deadlifts tonight :slight_smile: There aren’t any platforms at my gym so i stacked 2 olympic plates on top of each other for my platform to stand on. The bar ended up just touching the top of my shoes. My max normal dead is 352lbs for a triple. I was able to lift 315lbs for 2 sets of triples from my makeshift platform. I really feel it hit the glutes when i do it that way.

It’s funny, I have been doing only snatch grip deads for OL for a while and today did some easy clean grip deads. It seemed like I was practically standing from the start!

My 2" deficit deadlift is only 20 lbs less than my regular (315 vs. 335). Of course, when your deadlift max is only 335, nothing can really make that worse.

I remember reading that if your deficit deadlift is similar, than your quads are way stronger than your hamstrings. This is exactly true for me.

I am not sure that deficit deadlifts will help physically, but they sure help mentally. After moving the bar an extra couple of inches, lifting from the floor feels like nothing.

If you want a real challenge, try snatch grip deads while on a 2" platform, and use chains. My 5RM got cut in half.

Later.

Hey thats a good idea, i think i’ll try those elevated snatch grip deads in my next deadlift workout.