T Nation

Deadlifts

I was wondering when doing deadlifts off a platform (4"-8"), do you go all the way down to the floor or do you stop mid shin?

The only deadlifts for which I do not put the bar down between reps are RDLs. I find it is best to treat each rep as a single for other deadlifts, ie stand up between reps and get reset before going down to the bar.

I'm assuming this is better advice for a beginner or a former athlete that hasn't trained consistently in about 2 years (me)? I would think that a more advanced athlete/lifter would need to break down their tempo more precisely and eliminate rest points. Alright, fire away :-).

If you don't go all the way to the floor, why the plattform?

No, with the deadlift it's more a matter of form and specificity and developing strength through the full ROM (ie, not bouncing the weight). You'll rarely find a high-level powerlifter who doesn't reset the weight after every rep. That being said, the reset shouldn't take long at all. Taking one second to reposition if necessary isn't going to detract from strengh gains, and if the goal is purely aesthetic (the whole "constant tension" thing), there are safer methods of hypertrophy.

Tempo is much less important than time under maximum tension; tempo guidelines were originally developed as observations as to how long a difficult set under given parameters usually takes, rather than as a basis for how long a person ought to take to complete a lift, regardless of other parameters. If you use an appropriate load and set/reps/volume, tempo will fall into place naturally.

-Dan

That about sums it up.

Take it to the floor if you're using a platform. Don't use a platform if you don't have the requisite flexibility, though. Fix that first if you find yourself needing to stop at mid shin.

-Dan

Wrong.

Then why don't you explain? Are you here just to inform people when they're right or wrong or to actually share some knowledge?

Good point, but when I was thinking about "rest" I meant in the concentric position, not the end of the eccentric portion of the lift. I can understand the merits of reseting the lift as you mentioned. Should've cleared that up at the beginning.

I didn't feel like explaining this time. I contribute to the forums on a regular basis, and sometimes, I like to give a simple answer. No need to overthink every aspect of your training.

Besides, someone else already mentioned why it's best to reset the weight after each set. And I knew someone would.

But thanks for playing!

Looking at what I posted though, the concentric portion of the lift is actually where there is most tension, so that would be an ideal place to pause during the lift. OK, I'll stop talking now before I tangle myself up any further, lol.

So you're admitting to essentially saying nothing of substance in a thread intended to seek informed answers just for shits and giggles. It's a free country...Congrats.

You guys done swinging your pocketbooks yet?

By saying "wrong" to your question, did that not imply that the other poster's thought was correct (and not just for beginner's)?????

It was a simple answer. It's like someone asking, "Is protein good for me?" Answer: "Yes!"

"Should I eat fruits and veggies?"

"Yes!"

"Is creatine safe to use?"

"Yes!"

Do you always need a well-thought out explaination for every question? I think people try to overthink and overanalyze many things with their training.

I mean, you can always read some articles and do the research on your own. This site has been around for a long time and contains hundreds of articles that cover pretty much every question that is posted. Sure, it's easier to get a quick answer on the forums than to actually spend time researching. But if someone has already read the many articles and knows the "correct" answer to a question, can they not give a simple response? :wink:

Look man, out of respect, I'm not going to tell you (or anyone) how to post. But I will tell you that the first response I had when I saw "wrong" was "WTF?". It just came off negative to me.

That might not seem like a big deal, but ask yourself how many people would loyally follow T-Nation if the mods treated all of us that way all the time (or even on occasion)? Not that many. Sure, there are articles that would better inform us. I try to read any articles that are pertinent to my particular fitness goals at any given time. I simply believe that you would've come off a little better (and readers would be more receptive) if you had followed that up with a "here's a link" or "there's an article about it, you can look it up here". Take that FWIW.

My thoughts exactly...

I wasn't trying to be negative. I should have made it a one-sentence response. By saying "wrong" I was implying that the other poster's response was correct (and not just for beginners).

I'm not a mod, so I (as one of the thousands of people that post) didn't feel the need to explain it any further at the time. As I've had to let loose on a few people in the Beginner's forum because they were asking the most ridiculous stuff and not even trying to do a search or read an article. Some want it spoon fed to them, and I'm just not down with that. Not that I'm saying that is how this topic was, but just an example.

I respect your thoughts on the matter, and if you've followed my posts, you know that 9 times out of 10, I give good feedback and a thorough explaination. But sometimes, I just like to keep it simple. Fair enough?