Deadlifts

I read an article offsite stating that you shouldn’t do deadlifts and stiffleg deadlifts in the same workout. Is this a bunch of crap? If so would you still have to warmup for the second exercise. If these are similar but variations would it be better to alternate these at every other workout.

I don’t know why they would sey such a thing. I can’t see anything wrong with putting the two together. If you really wanted to focus on your posterior chain, then I think they would complement each other nicely. I see it being no different than having DL’s with weighted hypers, GH Raises, good morning, partial DL’s ect. Yeah they have some over lap, but I see that as a good thing when done correctly and in the right time. But if you are weak off the floor, then I would would suggest skipping the SLDL and doing something like Snatch Lift Off’s. Which is basically just the first phase of the pull in the snatch (killer on the erectors). But I say go for it.

I often will do a routine of 5x5 of SLDL, then up the wieght to near max and do 5x1 or 5x2 of DL. I feel the SLDL prepares my body for the DL.

CT’s OVT program suggests a superset of Deadlifts followed by a light set of SL Deads. I do them w/o too much trouble and I have to be pretty careful with my lower back. One remedy is to use the Trap bar for the deads, it allows for a more neutral back position throughout the lift.

I dont know what their reasoning is but you should definitly check out Dave Tates article on DL called In the Deadzone, and there are a couple of others written by Mike Roberts and Eric Cressey but I do not recall the titles.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
I dont know what their reasoning is but you should definitly check out Dave Tates article on DL called In the Deadzone, and there are a couple of others written by Mike Roberts and Eric Cressey but I do not recall the titles.[/quote]

Precision Pulling - Mike Robertson
Deadlift Diagnosis - Eric Cressey