Deadlifts w/ Small Hands?

This post belongs in the strength forum. In bodybuilding you deadlift to get a bigger back. You get a bigger back by doing the most weight possible. You do the most weight possible by using straps.

See ya.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
From Dave Tate.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1545068&cr=

Scroll down to number 24.[/quote]

Yep, that sums it up, here it is for the lazy folk who wouldn’t click or scroll:

1. The last thing for dropped pulls is very simple �?? get stronger! Let’s say you always drop 700 lbs, but can pull 650 lbs easy and pulling 700 lbs with straps is no problem. Well, get strong enough to pull 750 lbs with straps and 700 lbs will feel like 650 lbs.

Ask CT, I think he said he had smallish hands.

[quote]redrum wrote:
This post belongs in the strength forum. In bodybuilding you deadlift to get a bigger back. You get a bigger back by doing the most weight possible. You do the most weight possible by using straps.

See ya.[/quote]

he is right

do yet dead lifts first thing after warm up… @ the end of every work out for a few weeks wrap our towel aroung the chinup bar (to make a thicker grip) and hang, and hang, and hang,till you think your gonna pass out… then hang a few seconds more. this bolsters your grip strength, i.e. your cns… and makes you independent of straps saying if i can hold so can you

ps… I did this when i first started having trouble with my grip (i have to buy kid size gloves) and now my grip never bothers me…

I’ve got my chalk (rock climbing rock same shit as weight lifting chalk, no?)

Only problem is I worked from 9am to 5am and am shit tired. Its deadlift Tuesday for me but there’s no way I’m able to do anything today.

So I’m declaring today a recovery day. Pain in the arse - its been recovery fortnight with the past 2 weeks due to work taking its toll.

I’m seeing a pattern here actually - less training equals more forum posting. Not good. Here’s hoping you don’t hear shit from me over the next 2 or 3 months.

Let you know how the deads go.

Just got back from the gym and for everyone out there - GO BUY SOME CHALK. Rather than the bar slipping I just turned bright red!

The added friction with the chalk really helps you use all of your forearm strength to grip the bar.

I’m a big fan of the 5x5 method so I got through the following today:

5x80kg: Far too easy for someone as hardcore as me - I use chalk now :slight_smile:

3x100kg: Hell Yeah!

5x90kg

Attempted 100kg again but couldn’t even get one rep out.

3x90kg (getting tired)

3x90kg (that’ll do)

140kg Deads here I come - just one little extra plate on each end of the bar. How hard could be?

Anyway - the question has been answered. Small hands? Want to Deadlift? Use Chalk.

do a search for the “hook grip”

I learned it from CT, and i pretty much dont need straps anymore unless im going for a very heavy triple or maxing out.

its also great for doing weighted pull ups when your palms start to sweat.

A warning though, it will hurt like a bitch the first couple of times, but you get over that.

–JB

[quote]Spry wrote:
Just got back from the gym and for everyone out there - GO BUY SOME CHALK. Rather than the bar slipping I just turned bright red!

The added friction with the chalk really helps you use all of your forearm strength to grip the bar.

I’m a big fan of the 5x5 method so I got through the following today:

5x80kg: Far too easy for someone as hardcore as me - I use chalk now :slight_smile:

3x100kg: Hell Yeah!

5x90kg

Attempted 100kg again but couldn’t even get one rep out.

3x90kg (getting tired)

3x90kg (that’ll do)

140kg Deads here I come - just one little extra plate on each end of the bar. How hard could be?

Anyway - the question has been answered. Small hands? Want to Deadlift? Use Chalk.[/quote]

Or you could use powdered resin (Not That kind!) as you warm up it gets a little sticky, bit of a bastard to wash off though.
When I was powerlifting lots of us would use it. I preferred to keep it for last couple of weeks before and including the comp.

I use chalk on everything nowadays, the resin (aka colophony, pine resin same stuff they use for violin bows and the trays they used to get boxers to shuffle their feet in before going into the ring- don’t know if they do that nowadays)

I also have really small hands (and an equally small bone structure) and nothing has help except for doing supporting type exercises.

Stuff like

Heavy and above knee rack lockouts
Farmers walks
Heavy ass dumbell holds for time
Fat bar work
Kroc rows (for back and grip)

Etc

I have seen little improvement for the Captains of Crush in the area of deadlifting.