Deadlifts: Pull with Back vs. Legs

yeah i was wearing long pants on deadlift day for awhile
but i confess, i masochistically enjoy the now-and-then scrapes and cuts.

the other day i was pulling some weight for myself at like 3am and i was determined to get five good reps and i pounded four of them out, looked down and saw blood streaming down my leg.

my first though was: shit, i better clean this before someone sees it

my second thought was: its 3am, no one’s here, let’s bang this last rep out

it felt good.

-dc

[quote]Ramo wrote:
Evolv wrote:
Ramo wrote:
Evolv wrote:

I can’t tell if this is some kind of snide remark or if you are serious…I have read Chad’s book and enjoyed it.

That doesn’t change the fact that the vast majority of record pulls have been done in the conventional style.

But certainly some guys with shorter legs, longer torsos, and/or thicker midsections can pull more sumo style. Also textile support helps you out a little more with the sumo style. But it just isn’t the case for most people.[/quote]

Ha, sorry man-- yesterday I wrecked my truck. So I apologize for the narssistic (sp?) type short answers. Probably shouldnt have been posting, was not in the happiest of moods :slight_smile:

In any case, I personally have never experimented with heavy lifts using sumo style because I seem to have trouble clearing the bar over my knees. I pull more with my back generally though using conv. stance.

[quote]machiajelly wrote:
It looks to me like you’re leaning into and over the bar rather than pulling it towards yourself[/quote]

What do you mean by this?

I think the reason for conventional pullers having more wr than sumo is that, for the most part, guys that pull convo are built to pull, with longer arms/legs and a shorter torso.

[quote]Vegg wrote:
Poetikaal wrote:
I have scars on my shins from deadlifting :slight_smile:

Same here. I should probably start wearing sweatpants on deadlift day.
[/quote]

I think I’ll ask in this thread. I don’t really get how everyone has shin scraping during deadlifts… is it common for people of “non-deadlifting” builds? I have the typical deadlifting build (long arms, short torso) and so far I never had any kind of scraping. I’m also positive that the barbell is as close as possible to my body as well. Then again, my max lift in deadlift resemble more of a RDL in some ways. My arms are so long that it seems like I don’t even pull with my legs for very long. I dunno, what do you guys think?

I pull with my back, Ive never been able to pull more with an emphasis on my legs.

If you keep the barbell pulled back against your legs on the way up (light contact), your activating your lats more. This moves some of the load further down your back toward the attachment point of your lats. For most people, this allows you to pull more weight because you’re taking strain off of the upper back.

Look at Doenitz’s vid above, and you’ll see his arms don’t hang straight down. It looks to me that he could pull a little bit farther back, and it would help with his rounding.

Overall, Doenitz, your form looks great.

As for sumo being safer, I’m not so sure. I for one have hip problems when I start trying heavier weights, though I’ve never used briefs or a suit and I have hip issues anyway. I’ve also heard a lot of people get groin tares from them.

It is true that the ROM is shorter, but unless you are built for it, you are kind of working against the natural movement of your body.

Since I’ve been training with a knowledgeable guy, he’s changed my setup completely and it’s done wonders. I now pull with my feet probably less than a foot apart. This gets my hips into a better position and doesn’t really lengthen my ROM because my arms come all the way in to the sides of my legs.

Since I’ve done this my quads have started getting sore after pull days instead of just my hams and back. It’s also made my pulls a lot faster which helps a lot with my lock-out (my sticking point).

I’ve heard that skinny guys should pull with more back; bigger dudes should use more leg.

Then again. that was on EliteFts so god knows what their definition of a skinny guy is.

Last time

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Since I’ve been training with a knowledgeable guy, he’s changed my setup completely and it’s done wonders. I now pull with my feet probably less than a foot apart. This gets my hips into a better position and doesn’t really lengthen my ROM because my arms come all the way in to the sides of my legs.

Since I’ve done this my quads have started getting sore after pull days instead of just my hams and back. It’s also made my pulls a lot faster which helps a lot with my lock-out (my sticking point).[/quote]

I’m always sore in my back and hams after heavy deads but never the quads, I’ll give the closer stance a shot, good post.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Evolv wrote:
Using a sumo stance decreases the range of movement and therefore enables you to lift more weight.

Is that why out of the top 10 biggest deadlifts in the world, 9 of them are conventional?[/quote]

Jesus christ what sort of peopel are starting to post here??? I stop watching the forum for a week and all hell breaks loose!!

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
I think the reason for conventional pullers having more wr than sumo is that, for the most part, guys that pull convo are built to pull, with longer arms/legs and a shorter torso. [/quote]

Nice argument… Sumo deadlifts are better, because the guys who pull big deadlifts conventional are gonna pull big weights anyway.

Different body types lend themselves to different styles of lifting.

Is that what you’re getting at???