Deadlifts Overstress CNS?

Why is the deadlift considered more CNS-taxing than the squat? Is it the heavy weights + grip factor? For me I have always found squatting more taxing though. Any more information would be appreciated. I’m just trying to avoid burnout when planning a routine.

More muscles used in a deadlift.

I doubt you are going to “burnout”. I will do working sets up into the mid to high 400’s and then 5 sets of 10 of various pulls in the 300’s. Thats alot of volume, and I dont burn out.

More mental effort to psyche yourself up since it starts from a deadstop?

I doubt there is any studies to definitively say that ‘Deadlifts overstress the CNS’, it’s all just heresay and pseudo science, which is why experience matters.

From my experience it isn’t so much the lift itself that burns me out, its psyching myself out for max efforts very frequenty.

So since I just started to ‘not give a shit’ and just lift a reasonably difficult weight I’ve been able to keep progressing without much need for time off.

Hope this helps.

my final conclusion is that people just like to say “CNS”.

[quote]hanban wrote:
my final conclusion is that people just like to say “CNS”.[/quote]

that was good for some lolz

I dont care for this “cns burnout” bullshit, but I think the reason that the DL is more stressful in general and also more “dangerous” is because you can grind it more and complete the lift even with horrible form.

If you’re squatting and you lose too much tightness you’re pretty much guaranteed to fold over and fail. But with the DL you can continue to hitch & twitch and finish it even if your back is completely rounded. That’s what results in most of the DL related back injuries.

I think ‘CNS burnout’ is supposed a term for that feeling you get after pushing it really hard for a few weeks?

Groggy, no motivation, weaker than usual etc.