T Nation

Deadlifts on Leg or Back Day?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
you should be able to do squats and deads on the same day (unless maybe you’re maxing out). If your goal is hypertrophy then I don’t see the problem.[/quote]

My lower back and erectors get flushed with lactic acid from deadlifting. My lower back takes a beating squatting. There is absolutely no way I’m going strong on both movements in the same day. Even for high reps.

How much do you sq/dl?

normal deadlift back day
romanian deadlift leg day

[quote]sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day
romanian deadlift leg day [/quote]

dling twice a week is moronic at best if your moving anything close to a heavy weight.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
you should be able to do squats and deads on the same day (unless maybe you’re maxing out). If your goal is hypertrophy then I don’t see the problem.[/quote]

You could also bench press, military press, leg press, RDL, squat, deadlift, and any other thing you can think of on the same day… but why would you when you can split them up??

The combination of CNS fatigue and lactic acid buildup in the lower back is going to cause the second movement of the day to suffer.

Split them up

I use the deadlift as my main back builder.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day

dling twice a week is moronic at best if your moving anything close to a heavy weight.[/quote]

I rack pull on back day and RDL on leg day. They are consecutive days in the week. It works fine.

sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day

dling twice a week is moronic at best if your moving anything close to a heavy weight.[/quote]

I do this and have no problems whatsoever. I have 2 days between these 2 lifts, plenty of time for me to recover.

I would do normal DL’s on back day and RDL on leg day like someone else suggested, this is what i used to do…

I deadlift twice a week currently :

Wed:
Conventional Deadlift
Deadlift To Kness

Saturday:
Deficit Deadlift
Rack Pulls

This is on topic so I feel comfortable posting it…

and yes I have posted in the Sex and the Male Animal forum before.

bonez+waylander you guys are so lucky. My entire back is fried for 4-5 after deadlifting. WHat kind of volume do you guys do for your back + leg days?

sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day

60kg on the romainin for 5 sets of 5
85kg on the regular for 5 sets of 5

works alright for me at the moment doing dl twice a week

[quote]sid132 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day

dling twice a week is moronic at best if your moving anything close to a heavy weight.

[/quote]

When you get to higher numbers you will probably realize it will be too hard on your lower back.

On another note, you can actually tweak normal deadlifting form in order to either hit the hams or back better. For back, at the top of the pull try and squeeze your scapula (Upper back). Then to hit hams more keep your hips slightly higher and really try and push through your heels (should be done anyway but helps mind/muscle connection). Just some stuff…

i know some people that squat/deadlift/bench on the same day, 3 days a week

it really depends on volume, intensity, and how the person responds to that type of training

my best advice would be to learn how your body responds to different things…greg valentino actually spoke quite well on the subject a few years back

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
sid132 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day

When you get to higher numbers you will probably realize it will be too hard on your lower back.

On another note, you can actually tweak normal deadlifting form in order to either hit the hams or back better. For back, at the top of the pull try and squeeze your scapula (Upper back).

Then to hit hams more keep your hips slightly higher and really try and push through your heels (should be done anyway but helps mind/muscle connection). Just some stuff…[/quote]

yeh im not actually on a years training yet, about 7 months so far so oonce the numbers get higher then il proberly experiece what u explained

This question is one of the reasons I don’t do conventional DL’s anymore. In a bodybuilding type program it seems hard to say where to put them.

The deadlift is in my mind a pretty technical lift. And I think in a bb type workout its more effective to split it up into RDL’s and Rack DL’s which I think are both easier on a technical level allowing you to better stimulate the target muscle.

I haven’t done conventional DL’s in over a year and I don’t think my back or ham development has suffered at all.

I would definitely put rack deads in there since as a beginner you still probably have a hard time activating your back properly in pulling movements.

Also can you show your routine specifics?

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
sid132 wrote:
normal deadlift back day

I do this and have no problems whatsoever. I have 2 days between these 2 lifts, plenty of time for me to recover.[/quote]

hmm…not so. i deadlift monday and thursday. i follow a four week cycle increasing 5kg per workout for 8 workouts peaking with a new 5 rep max and then starting over again 5kg above where i started on workout 1.

i do 1 heavy set for 5 reps, 1 at 90% of that followed by further sets at 70-80% for 5 reps with minimal rest (40 secs to 1 min) until i can’t manage 5 reps.last thursday’s max was 160kg for 5 followed by 6 sets
at 120kg for 5.

monday started a new cycle. this thursday was a 135 max x 5 followed by 13 sets of 105kg x5. so no problems working this twice a week.

bonez+waylander you guys are so lucky. My entire back is fried for 4-5 after deadlifting. WHat kind of volume do you guys do for your back + leg days?[/quote]

I’ll probably be labeled as crazy after this post, but oh well I like a lot of volume.

For back day I start with rack pulls usually do 5 sets of 6-10 reps depending on how heavy I go. After that I do 2 horizontal pulling movements and 2 vertical pulling movements, alternated, 3 or 4 sets of 10-15 for each.

Leg day I do hack squats 5 sets for 15-20 reps then RDL 5 sets for 8 reps then 3 or 4 leg extension/leg curl super sets. Then calves at the end.

I have a video of a rack pull set from about a month ago in my profile. I usually work my way up to around 480-510 after a few warm up sets.