T Nation

Deadlifts on Blocks

Last night I was doing deads from a 10 in box and on my last set ended up basically stiff legging the lift. How should my form be when doing deads from a high deficit? I tried to get my hips down, but my back was still rounded.

Thanks in advance
Will42

[quote]Will42 wrote:
Last night I was doing deads from a 10 in box and on my last set ended up basically stiff legging the lift. How should my form be when doing deads from a high deficit? I tried to get my hips down, but my back was still rounded.

Thanks in advance
Will42 [/quote]

10" is pretty high. Try 3-4". If your back is rounded, your hammies are not flexible enough to reach down that far properly.

That’s a high ass box.

As the previous poster said, you’re not flexible enough to get that low. if you are going to pull from that position, try a snatch grip maybe, or a lower box.

Hip flexors, and your entire posterior chain need to be flexible as hell to pull from that kind of height.

Personally pulling from a deficit greater than 4-6 inches fucks up my form and later on i can’t translate the gains into anything fucking useful for a while.

I’m stronger, dont get me wrong. Like the weights feel lighter, but i’m so out of groove with my regular deadlift, I need like 2-3 weeks to realize any sort of strength transfer.

Damn 10 inches. you must have monkey arms man.

I don’t know how much you dead, but 10" is a lot to bend. I think you can get more than enough from loading the bar with 25’s instead of plates. Only issue is max weight because of space. But you can easily put on 400lbs and deadlift an extra couple of inches. I don’t see any benefit from going any further.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Damn 10 inches. you must have monkey arms man.[/quote]

Thast what Im saying DAMN!!!

I do like above said 4-6 at the most.

Hell try zercher deads if you want to get that low.

Phill

I think being elevated 10inches will totally kill your deadlift.

It totally changes the dynamics of the lift and IMO is too risky to even attempted. Stick to 3-4" boxes.

The form is so much different pulling from that low that it’s not going to carryover at all to your full lift, and you’ll likely be using so little weight that it’s not going to be good for anything else either. Further, it seems like a potentially harmful position to put yourself into.

I put down a sheet of 5/8 plywood if I want to pull from a deficit. You don’t need to make huge changes to get a different stimulus. Just nudge the body along, don’t try to force it.

The I was shown was using 35’s and one of those aerobic stepper that the cardio classes use.It puts the bar right on the top of my feet(with no shoes on)and really creates a long range of motion.Hope this helps

Sounds good guys; I guess I got a little over zelous Next week will be from 8 in, and then down 2 in. every other week, for 8 weeks. I always have been weak off the floor and these really help me, but like Xen said too extream of a deficite get you out of the groove.
Will42

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I think being elevated 10inches will totally kill your deadlift.

It totally changes the dynamics of the lift and IMO is too risky to even attempted. Stick to 3-4" boxes.[/quote]

I can’t imagine starting that lift with an arched back. 10" is ridiculous.

Stick with the lower stuff.

10" or 8" is too high. SLDL’s heavy will get you the same thing. I agree with the other folks. 3-4" deficits are more than plenty. I don’t know, but it sounds like an injury waiting to happen.

I tried something like this once. I used a 8-10 inch box. I think I read something about an old school PLer that would pull from a very high box like that (his name escapes me right now but he was first guy to pull 700- back in the late 1940s or early 50s- I think was a 198 also). Anyhow, the conclusion I came to was that the amount of weight and the number of times I could pull it that way was not enough to fool with. I think I was a low 500s puller then and pulling off that high box made 315 a fucking grind up to mid shin and then I just blasted the weight up there. Of course, the technique used to pull from a box that high is nothing like what you use pulling from the floor- so unless you are trainign for this odd movement- I would skip it. If you wish to improve your pop off the floor but still maintain the same groove as you use pulling from the floor- I would keep the height of the box to 2 or 3 inches max.