Deadlifts on Back Day

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
OP if I were you Id cut down on the amount of exercises.

vertical pull overhand grip
horizontal pull
vertical pull neutral close grip
deadlift/rack pull
rear delt stuff (reverse pec deck is best IMO, as it’s very easy to let the traps take over when using dumbells)

that covers all the bases without much redundancy.

Thats the order I would do, but that isnt terribly important. I also pre-exhaust with straight arm pulldowns. I believe pre exhausting is the second most important thing to building big lats, aside from getting very strong.

If you want to add variation do it by rotating exercises in and out. If you want to make up the lost volume, do more sets. [/quote]

The majority of my back sessions look very similar to this.

[/quote]
So…great minds think alike? :slight_smile:

For whatever its worth

I do an independent day for DL

usually the day after back and biceps day or with a rest day inserted

Chest tri and shoulders
Legs
Back & Bi
Deads (dumbell good mornings, grip strength work, abs / stretches)

I put them on leg day because they hit my hams and ass real good. Plus rows pullups and lat pulldowns don’t hit any of the same muscles as the dl but on a leg day I feel like deadlifts supplement my back squats well and after back squating I feel more than warmed up for dls. Imo.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
I put them on leg day because they hit my hams and ass real good. Plus rows pullups and lat pulldowns don’t hit any of the same muscles as the dl but on a leg day I feel like deadlifts supplement my back squats well and after back squating I feel more than warmed up for dls. Imo.[/quote]

I did try this at one stage. It was too much work to really hit both the deads and squats properly

I put them on leg day because they hit my hams and ass real good. Plus rows pullups and lat pulldowns don’t hit any of the same muscles as the dl but on a leg day I feel like deadlifts supplement my back squats well and after back squating I feel more than warmed up for dls. Imo.[/quote]

Ive like you ive have done deadlifts apart of my back days for a long time, but it is a preference and i much prefer to do my DL’s on leg days (first exercise before squats)!

“whatever works for you” Andy Bolton has pretty much always deadlifted after his squats, so clearly it can be done

BONEZ template pretty much nails it except I prefer only one vertical pull and two horizontal pull movements, making the second one one that won’t demand much of the lower back, in addition to deads at the end. If I choose Rack Pulls over full Deadlifts or Yates RDL, then I’d throw in something for lower back, like 45° extensions.

When trying to increase my deadlift numbers I DL first on back days and change up the reps and sets for other rowing exercises. If the programming has me doing doubles or singles then I’d move up rows and other horizontal pulling movements to another day further down the week, and add more vertical pulling to DL days.

I was going to write something about DLs on the Yates thread I made, but not sure anyone would be interested in it.

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
I was going to write something about DLs on the Yates thread I made, but not sure anyone would be interested in it. [/quote]

Write it man, at least one of us will be interested!

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
“whatever works for you” Andy Bolton has pretty much always deadlifted after his squats, so clearly it can be done[/quote]

Yea, he’s a really good bodybuilder. Perfect example to follow here…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
“whatever works for you” Andy Bolton has pretty much always deadlifted after his squats, so clearly it can be done[/quote]

Yea, he’s a really good bodybuilder. Perfect example to follow here… [/quote]

lol. got to love this forum.

I didn’t quote but I was responding to the last few comments about doing deadlifts on leg day. Nothing further. Already wrote my opinions on pg.1:

"First for building your deadlift obviously and for back hypertrophy I would just say wherever you can fit them in your sequencing that doesn’t impact your other lifts too much (eg. for me, I did rack deadlifts after pull-ups and pulldowns).

Personally I have found doing them first didn’t take away from the rest of my back training, but this is mainly due to my current exercise selection. I would say if your going to be doing heavy barbell rows or perhaps t-bars it could well have an impact.

If you can still increase your poundages at a fast rate leaving it first for now might be a decent idea (in my opinion) "

You didn’t seem the forum police type… but thx for checkin on me… much appreciated

The majority of the time I deadlift first. I don’t like being worn out when doing them, I’ve been injured from them before so I need as much strength/mental focus as possible.

I do them last and never from the floor. I do partial dead-lifts instead, like Dorian Yates.

Agree[quote]Volgarixon wrote:

I did try this at one stage. It was too much work to really hit both the deads and squats properly[/quote]

Decided to not include them on my work out all . Tried it and didn’t really feel my back being worked.

You did not feel deads worked your back? Think you need to put more than 10 lbs on the bar.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
Decided to not include them on my work out all . Tried it and didn’t really feel my back being worked. [/quote]

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
Decided to not include them on my work out all . Tried it and didn’t really feel my back being worked. [/quote]

What did you feel being worked if not your back??

[quote]flat6nut wrote:
You did not feel deads worked your back? Think you need to put more than 10 lbs on the bar.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
[/quote]

I worked up to a 5 rep max , but felt most of the load on my lower back , forearms , and legs. From what i read around these forums not everyone feels deads on their back as well…

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
[/quote]

I worked up to a 5 rep max , but felt most of the load on my lower back , forearms , and legs. From what i read around these forums not everyone feels deads on their back as well…[/quote]

Deadlifts are supposed to work your lower back, right where you felt them. Were you expecting a lat pump or something?

Deadlifts work the entire back. Do they work the entire back optimally? No, but then again isn’t that why you choose to do multiple exercises. If it was me, I’d keep the deadlifts in, but then again that’s just me.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]flat6nut wrote:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
[/quote]

I worked up to a 5 rep max , but felt most of the load on my lower back , forearms , and legs. From what i read around these forums not everyone feels deads on their back as well…[/quote]

Deadlifts are supposed to work your lower back, right where you felt them. Were you expecting a lat pump or something?
[/quote]

I was expecting my upper back since thats what a lot of people mention.