Deadlifts on a Smith Machine?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
Deads on a smith? Thats like a protein shake in a shaker with no whey. Off the floor or off a rack for some heavy ass pulls, but the bar is free at all times. The movement is completely unnatural, IMO, as I too have been forced to experiment with deads on a smith (FUCK YOU!! Planet Fitness)

Same here. I injured my lower back doing smith machine deads at a Planet Fitness. Wasn’t anything “serious” - pain started later that evening and was kind of dull, in my lower back. I had an MRI which revealed no damage of any kind. Ever since then my lower back is somewhat “suspect” and I am conscious of it.

IMO, the smith dead, even if done as a rack pull, is really unnatural. This is because you can’t keep the bar as close to you as possible. If you start with the bar at your knees, by the time you finish the lift the bar is a good inch or two away from you.

Sorry if i’m not explaining it right, but that’s my biggest problem with it. It’s like a smith squat; the bar shouldn’t be traveling in precisely a straight line up and down. There is a natural curve to it, albeit just a little.

You have to set up differently and use somewhat different form for smith rack-pulls/squats than you would for the free-weight version.

I’ve been doing smith rack pulls for many years now and have no issues.

Of course you can keep the bar close, It never stops touching my body when I lift. Think I need to make a vid or something…

Smith squats are trickier, but doable. Can’t really go atg there either.

a video would be great. ive been doing them and using decent weight, 435x6, but they do feel kinda awkward. its my last resort too, i got yelled at for using the preacher curl apparatus and a 45 plate to stand on for doing racks…something about too much noise…this isnt a powerlifitng gym…if you cant put the weight down gently maybe youre using too much weight, ya know that whole speil.[/quote]

Fuck yeah I feel your pain brother. Hey man your doing to much. Well shit if I don’t ditch these 120s they are going to crush my head. I need Metroflex in my life.

Barbell.

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:
Barbell.[/quote]

pretty much how it is right there