Deadlifts Not Allowed?

just curious, do you go to Oregon State University? Thats where I go and deadlifting is not allowed, but i do it when the staff is not looking

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
just curious, do you go to Oregon State University? Thats where I go and deadlifting is not allowed, but i do it when the staff is not looking[/quote]

you must lift fast…jk

anyways, i lift at my uni’s gym as well, and i can tell that in the main area there is no way enough room to Deadlift. I would agree with a poster above that you should just lower the pins in the cage/squat rack and do “rack pulls”…youll get about 80% of the effectivness…

At my old school SDSU they did not care about deadlifting at all. BUT at the golds gym where I live near, I actually got in “trouble” by the manager for dropping the weights while deadlifting because it was too loud. So now I got to drop it all nice and gentle, would only expect that at “fitness centers” but not golds.

I just realized that these places may not allow deadlifting not becuause they think that you can hurt yourself when doing them. But mainly because if some dumbass decides to walk to close to you while you are lowering the weight they could get hurt. It is fucking retarded but there are a lot of reules in society to protect retarted people.

If its banned for the sound, some “stops” on the bar helps keeping the weights from moving and making sounds, and some soft madrasses (we have them in our gym for some reason) can be put under the bar for silence.

But who gives a fuck?

If it’s a noise issue then they should buy some bumper plates.

If it’s a bystander safety issue, they can install a platform.
A decent oly set up is a lot cheaper than the typical POS Smith Machine.

Fuck em, do rack pulls in the cage and make 10 times the noise until they get bumper plates and a platform. Even better, teach others at the gym about the wonders and benefits of deadlifting until there is iron crashing all over the place. Eventually they’ll wise up.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
If it’s a noise issue then they should buy some bumper plates.

If it’s a bystander safety issue, they can install a platform.
A decent oly set up is a lot cheaper than the typical POS Smith Machine.

Fuck em, do rack pulls in the cage and make 10 times the noise until they get bumper plates and a platform. Even better, teach others at the gym about the wonders and benefits of deadlifting until there is iron crashing all over the place. Eventually they’ll wise up. [/quote]

At my gym they come up with some bullshit that they “Don’t have the proper staffing to spot such a lift” or something like that.

Did you ask them, “how the fuck do you spot a deadlift?”

I’ve yet to see this done. If I could find a good enough spotter I bet I could finally hit 700lbs on my deadlift. See I’m repping 325 right now so I just know a good spot could get me to my 700 deadlift.