T Nation

Deadlifts Make You Blocky?

I was recently at my local gym and some guys were arguing that deadlifts give you a blocky look and that they don’t allow a person to have a small waist is this true? or does it have to do with nutrition?

Uhh, no. They don’t. It’s nutrition and the amount of oblique work you do over the course of your training.

It is true that heavy DLs and Squats will work your entire core musculature, obliques included, so in some sense I suppose there’s a minute chance they could make 1% of the population blocky, but it has much more to do with your nutrition and other attributes.

In other words, work on your shoulders and lats if you’ve got a narrow build and you’ll probably be fine.

EDIT–by ‘blocky’ I mean square or chunky. They will thicken your torso, but again, not to an extreme degree. Besides, you should be working on getting wide shoulders and bigger lats if you want the v-taper look. Right now though, you just need to work in general, you’re too skinny in your pic.

If by blocky you mean “muscular” then yes, they do that.

Um yes they can make you have a not so Dainty waist. They will add muscle and girth to your mid section low back, abs, obliques.

Idont see this as a bad thing personally though.

Phill

Hey Bud:

Just saw your pics on a previous thread (the one where you requested estimates of your bodyfat). Trust me: Do the deadlifts.

All the best.

arnold did deadlifts. Does he look blocky to you?

[quote]DION88 wrote:
I was recently at my local gym and some guys were arguing that deadlifts give you a blocky look and that they don’t allow a person to have a small waist is this true? or does it have to do with nutrition?[/quote]

Those guys are gay.

They are also looking at body shaping from the wrong perspective.

To create the V taper look, what you need are enormous deltoids and lats, not a tiny waist.

Now, go do your deadlifts, and giant set them with pull-ups, bent rows, and lateral delt raises.

Unless you’re reffering to pro-bbers and the so called GH gut, I’ve never seen a lean guy with an overly-muscular midsection

Deadlifts and Pin Pulls. STAT!

Don’t pay too much attention to those other lifters. Do the heavy stuff and afterwards throw in some rows and shoulder-emphasis movements. Eat clean and the V will come.

it can make your mid section thicken, as you use bigger weights it will grow, like any other muscle, small waists are for girls, big waists move big weights ha ha.