Deadlifts Make Me Dizzy

[quote]Damner wrote:
Man i dont know what the hell u ppl are talking about, theres nothing normal about feeling light headed when lifting, your doing something wrong.

I just take normal deep breaths, holding your breath for heavy lift actually makes it harder specially for something like deadlift where flexibility is required.[/quote]

what do you mean by this ?

you’re actually inhaling and exhaling while the bar is being pressed/squatted/pulled ?

OP…on a few occasions I’ve had a deadlift/squat buzz last a couple hours . actually kinda fuzzy driving home from the gym .

souldown, i just did some deadlifts on thursday and i hit my PB of 225 for 5 reps. after my set i did feel lightheaded but not as bad as i had before. all i did different this time was less sets of deadlifts (i.e. focus on my one working set for the heavy weight and one light warmup set) and i took about a 1-2 second pause at the end of each rep. that seemed to allow me to get some more oxygen into my body before i lift another rep.

marlboroman, ive not yet experienced the deadlift/squat buzz for more than a few minutes. i imagine once i learn my body more and realize its potential (in other words, once i stop acting like a kid and lift heavy weight that i dont “think” i can lift) i will experience things similar to what you are talking about.

nice one mate. i hit the 100kg mark a few months ago. felt awsome

The 100 kilo lift is always a great feeling. Putting on the second big plate on each side is like “yep, now I’m serious”. The problem with the metric system is we don’t have any more round number milestones till I hit 200.

Maybe I’ll move to America just so my deadlift goes up from 120 to 264 :wink:

Anyway, I find that hissing during the last half of the lift for deadlifts and squats makes me less lightheaded afterwards. YMMV.

Any time you ask your entire body for a significant portion of its capacity you’re going to feel lightheaded though.

haha im working towards 300 pounds now which is about 136 kilos! :slight_smile:

[quote]gsxr6002005 wrote:
this might seem like a dumb question but im a little concerned about something. when i deadlift i feel very lightheaded and dizzy after i set the bar down after my heavy set(s).

i have asked some people at the gym and they say its normal. one guy told me to reverse my breathing and see if that helps, meaning breathe in when standing up and breathe out when lowering the weight.

none of the answers ive gotten from the gym members satisfy me so i thought id come on here and ask the people who would know. so is the lightheaded feeling normal or am i doing something wrong? [/quote]

If you have never done this heavy type lifting-then getting a little dizzy is probably normal. Dead lifting is intense
exercise. To be safe go to the Doc. have blood pressure checked.

[quote]souldown wrote:
haha im working towards 300 pounds now which is about 136 kilos! :)[/quote]

Oooh cunning - count in whatever system the next round number milestone is - I like it.

the last time i had a really hard set of deadlifts i had a blurred vision for about 15seconds :smiley:

whoever here has said exhaling during a pull is a good idea needs to think that through.

holding your breath helps pressurize your core, which stabilizes your lower back during the movement. you want to release that pressure and add MORE stress?

sounds like a bad idea to me.

i get lightheaded after heavy squats and deads also. i’ve never passed out, but i did get to the point once where my ears started ringing and i couldn’t hear anything for a few seconds.

I think De Molay is probably right about taking a 3/4 breath and holding it, as holding your breath while lifting raises your blood pressure pretty high, maybe less of a breath won’t raise it as much…

haha i know. it helps me with the motivation and stuff. my main main goal though is pench the body weight and dead/squat x2 bodyweight, then go from there! :slight_smile:

hehehe

ok so i know its been a while since anyone, myself included, posted in this thread, but i thought id bring it back. my last set of deads that i did was around 205, which is close to my best right now. i took about 6 weeks off from deads due to a strained inner thigh muscle.

after i pulled the 205 for about 3 reps (this was my second set of 205 and 5th overall set) i set the weight down. i felt extremely lightheaded, worse than ever before.

started seeing black, heart almost jumping out of my chest, things getting blurry, and the room spinning. now i know alot of you say its normal and i believe that for the most part. it just really worries me sometimes because im not used to feeling that way.

the last few days i have had lightheaded spells during the day for no apparent reason and when i do basic excercises, squats or bench for example, with about 70% of my 1RM i get lightheaded then too.

i never used to. i checked my blood pressure yesterday and it was 123 over 68 and 74 pulse. the pressure is about the same it was last year but my pulse last year was closer to 54 then 74. i dont know what to attribute the jump in pulse to.

i was training more consistently last year and i was training more frequently, i.e. 5 times a week 4-5 sets a excercise then vs. 3 times a week now and 3 sets per excercise. any thoughts? i guess the next step if i cant figure it out is to see the doc, which id rather avoid if possible since i do not have health insurance at this point.