T Nation

Deadlifts - Leg or Back Day?

first post, hope this is in the right forum but here goes.

currently working a 4 day, with deadlifts on back day, recently my gym (soon to be ex gym) got rid of the leg press and squat rack.
result, we are struggling for variety on leg day, would it be an idea to move deadlifts to leg day as an alternative option to add a power excercise to leg day?
or keep it on back day and suck it up till we get to move gyms?

currently have 1 day off between leg and back day

appreciate any ideas

regards
J

I’d do them on back day, personally.

I do my deads with shoulders and traps nowadays though.

If you need variety on leg day, what about front squats, zerchers, lunges, hack squats? Also, you could stiff legged deadlifts instead of conventional ones.

I do RDL’s on leg day, rack pulls on back day.

I also like split squats and one legged squats.

What kind of gym is it that gets rid of the squat rack and leg press? Geez.

i would maybe try give an extra day between legs and back in do DL’s twice a week. ive seen some major improvments in numbers and form.

im with Trenchant, RDLs are for emphasizing hams although just from the nature of the exercise youre gonna still work your traps and erectors.

Rackpulls hit the whole back so i do them as the first exercise on my back day.

if i do conventional deadlifts they go on back day too. deadlifts work more back than quads and hams. i also dont think youre gonna have an easy time squeezing both squats and deadlifts into one session which is another reason i dont do them for legs.

[quote]bones864 wrote:
i would maybe try give an extra day between legs and back in do DL’s twice a week. ive seen some major improvments in numbers and form.[/quote]

Holy hell twice a week? I deadlift once every 2 weeks, and that’s just about enough to fully recover.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Holy hell twice a week? I deadlift once every 2 weeks, and that’s just about enough to fully recover.[/quote]

I deadlift, squat and bench 3 days a week… I’ve been doing so for 6 solid weeks now.

You get used to it.

I personally did deadlifts on leg day. My back day was mostly upper back work so I decided to train my low back with legs.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Holy hell twice a week? I deadlift once every 2 weeks, and that’s just about enough to fully recover.

I deadlift, squat and bench 3 days a week… I’ve been doing so for 6 solid weeks now.

You get used to it.[/quote]

And you work with close to 90-100% of your weights each time? Im wondering, because one such session for me and i’m very weak for a few days till i recover.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:
RSGZ wrote:

You get used to it.

And you work with close to 90-100% of your weights each time? Im wondering, because one such session for me and i’m very weak for a few days till i recover.

[/quote]

Same here - I used to do it once a week but I wasn’t progressing as fast as I am now as I felt weaker. I cut it back to 2 weeks and it works a charm. That am making sure I eat stupid amounts before gym in the evening.

[quote]Gregus wrote:

[/quote]

No. It’s Stephan Korte’s 3x3 Powerlifting program. The 1st 4-week Phase is high volume at low percentages which ramp up each week. The 2nd 4-week Phase is High Intensity and max effort on each lift one time per week.

Great program actually…

If I train heavy with DL, I can’t do much regarding deadlifts with my lower back for at least a week. That is training 6x3 wave sets or something of the sort. At around 95% of my max.

The program I am on now uses DLs to begin the workout twice a week, but it is 2x5, and I do about 65-75% of my max. So it is more of a warm-up than a work set it feels. I personally have never done heavy squats and heavy deadlifts in the same day. Depends on what you’re trying to do I guess. I would just be careful and watch your performance, I could see overtraining if you did this too much for a long period of time.

Have you thought about making a “Pull” day in your workout? Or a Back and Hamstrings workout?

Sunday - Back + Hamstrings (Deadlift)
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Arms
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Quads + Abs (Squat)
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday - Off

Good to hear that your switching gyms. But for now you can do…

Hack Squats, Platform Deadlifts, Front Squats from a Clean, Lunges, Split Squats, Pull-Throughs, Zercher Squats, Sumo Deadlifts, Platform Sumo Deadlifts, or just carry something big up a hill a couple times.

Here’s a thought. Until you move, just do nothing but Lunges on your Leg Day.

I personally do them on posterior chain day (kind of my pull workout). But I’ll do some upper back work on both my push and pull days.

I guess my point is that I like to split my leg workout and do a hamstring dominant day (deads, leg curls, GHR, good mornings) and a quad dominant day (back and front squats, leg extensions, sissy squats). I find it too taxing to do squats and deads together.

edit: ops, fightingscott beat me to it

i’m doing an upper/lower split…so i do it on my lower days.

upper days i focus on rows/pull ups

so i do deads then some quad work typically…

i guess it depends on your current program and if you are able to recover to do it once or twice a week. its all related to your goals

Now if my memory serves me correctly the deadlift is a hip extender which means that the glutes are more isolated then anything else. As you become stronger with the deadlift you will feel it less and less in the lumbar region. Everyone keeps saying that it hits lower back and hamstrings. Hamstrings are a knee flexor which means they are more isolated with moving the knee then the hips. So I do deadlift on leg day to answer your question. Just my 2 cents.

Hams are a hip flexor also.

you mean hip extender. a hip flexor would be your rectus abdominus. yes hams do aid in hip extension but the main muscle is the glutes is the point i was trying to make

[quote]BUSHMASTER wrote:
you mean hip extender. a hip flexor would be your rectus abdominus. yes hams do aid in hip extension but the main muscle is the glutes is the point i was trying to make[/quote]

Yup, sorry, I miss-spoke. I think a lot of it depends on how you pull and your weaknesses like you said.

For me, pulling makes my hams very sore, though that doesn’t mean they are doing more work, just that they are probably still my weak point in the exercise.