T Nation

Deadlifts and Squats

If you were to do both in one workout, which would you do first and why?

Id do DLs HEAVY and squats a more high rep low load. 8-12 rnage DL just tend to me to be a low rep heavy exercise.

Personal preference.

Phill

Then again I will often do say a variation of DL like RDL’s as a assistnce exercise following squats. etc

why limit it mix it up

Phill

Depends on which one you personally find more fatiguing. I find that deads tax my CNS more, so I do squat first.

[quote]bigshock80 wrote:
If you were to do both in one workout, which would you do first and why?[/quote]

Try both ways. No need to pigeonhole yourself into one specific order of movements. Phil’s suggestions, as always, are very good.

I find my lower back too fatigued to maintain good squat form if I do deadlifts first, so I always do squats first. However, I tend to do SLDL, RDL or good mornings after squats and do deadlifts on a separate day.

[quote]bigshock80 wrote:
If you were to do both in one workout, which would you do first and why?[/quote]

The one you want to improve the most.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Id do DLs HEAVY and squats a more high rep low load. 8-12 rnage DL just tend to me to be a low rep heavy exercise.

Personal preference.

Phill[/quote]

I also feel that deads are one of those exercises that just want to be done heavy and low. Personally, I start to lose my form much over 7-8 reps. I just do, unless going REALLY light which kinda defeats the purpose.

As for order, I mix it up like Phill also said.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
bigshock80 wrote:

[/quote]

Good point.

[/quote]

Yup. I don’t where the primacy principle got lost on the serial advice givers. How can anyone answer the question without knowing so much more about the OP?

[quote]dswithers wrote:
I find my lower back too fatigued to maintain good squat form if I do deadlifts first, so I always do squats first. However, I tend to do SLDL, RDL or good mornings after squats and do deadlifts on a separate day.[/quote]

second

scott is right on the money do the exercise you want to improve on first I always do squats first since deadlifts tend to be easier for me. As a general rule you always want to focus on the exercise you don’t enjoy doing again for me that would be back squats so I always do it first and twice a week… anyway that’s my 2 cents

I split my stuff up. If I’m going heavy on squats, I’ll do those first, then light deads. If I’m going heavy on deads, I’ll do those first, then light squats. I do both variations every week.

I mix it up. I usually deadlift heavier so I usually do them first, but sometimes I’ll do squats first if I really want to hit them heavy and hard. Like everyone else said, its personal preference. DL’s are my favorite exercise so I like to start my workout with them to really get into it.

bigshock80 wrote:

[/quote]

Couldn’t have said it better myself. All things being equal, I do squats first as I find them to require the most energy.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
scott is right on the money do the exercise you want to improve on first I always do squats first since deadlifts tend to be easier for me. As a general rule you always want to focus on the exercise you don’t enjoy doing again for me that would be back squats so I always do it first and twice a week… anyway that’s my 2 cents[/quote]

Funny you should say that about squats. I look forward to em and then can’t wait til I’m done with em. Kinda schizo I guess. You look great BTW.

Just realized that was you in the Powerful Images section Mad Titan. Great job on your physique.

Squats take more energy out of me; so I’d be more apt to do Deads first.

Regardless of sets/reps/weight

While it is true that if you want you can always prioritize something and if it is really important to you can do it first, in general you should squat before you deadlift, especially if both exercises are being trained at similar intensities which I believe is implied in your question. The reason for this is the fatigue effect. The effect of squatting first and then pulling second usually has less of a negative effect than the other way around. The erectors are so involved in a dead that for a lot of people to squat after doing them it is very hard for them to keep good form. If, of course, you personally happen to have more of a fatigue effect from squatting and then pulling than vice versa you can always switch the order. But that would be rare.

Two other reasons to squat first. In a PL meet squats always come first, deads last, bench in the middle to break it up. It is not a coincidence.

Second, squats are a higher skill exercise than deads and usually you do your high skill exercises first (clean and jerk would come before squats, leg press after).

From my experience in powerlifting, we always squatted first. (I agree with above post)

I’ve found that I can go hard on squats, and still go all out on deadlifts. Even better, I’m properly warmed up.

I squat 2x a week, but deadlift once. So the squat workout only, I do more volume. The squat and deadlift, I go heavier on squats, but less volume.

Personally I can’t imagine doing it the other way around…

Now as a “bodybuilder”, I still stick to squats first. It works. And if it’s not broke…