T Nation

Deadlifts and My Tiny Waist

Last I checked my waist was 29", I love to deadlift but I am worried that it will ruin my waist…I know the spinal erectors will get thicker I am more concerned about thickness sideways (obliques?). So opinions, experiences?

“Dont be a pussy” comes to mind.

Im sure I have more of a V-taper than you even though my waist is a 33-34 just because I deadlift like a maniac and I have a wide back.

If your really THAT worried about it, just wear a belt during your back days, it will allow you to depend on it for lower back and abdominal support and help keep your midsection weak and girlish like you like it.

no you will be fine. I have a 30" waist and i deadlift all the time.
It actually has gotten smaller since I started the program.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
“Dont be a pussy” comes to mind.

Im sure I have more of a V-taper than you even though my waist is a 33-34 just because I deadlift like a maniac and I have a wide back.

If your really THAT worried about it, just wear a belt during your back days, it will allow you to depend on it for lower back and abdominal support and help keep your midsection weak and girlish like you like it.[/quote]

my v taper (2 dimensional) is 19.5" at shoulders to 11" across at the waist…dunno if that is good or not. But yeah I AM being a pussy about it.

you could just buy bigger pants…

but seriously, i have a 30" waist and the only thing that makes it change size is food intake, not deads.

waist line is something that seems to be more genetic meaning youre either predisposed to having a small waist w/ small obliques or you arent.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
“Dont be a pussy” comes to mind.

Im sure I have more of a V-taper than you even though my waist is a 33-34 just because I deadlift like a maniac and I have a wide back.

If your really THAT worried about it, just wear a belt during your back days, it will allow you to depend on it for lower back and abdominal support and help keep your midsection weak and girlish like you like it.[/quote]

Sometimes I think I love you no homo when I read your posts Westclock.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
“Dont be a pussy” comes to mind.

Im sure I have more of a V-taper than you even though my waist is a 33-34 just because I deadlift like a maniac and I have a wide back.

If your really THAT worried about it, just wear a belt during your back days, it will allow you to depend on it for lower back and abdominal support and help keep your midsection weak and girlish like you like it.[/quote]

“help keep your midsection weak and girlish like you like it.”
I am putting this line in my little book of golden quotes haha

So you don’t have birthing hips. Big deal.

I think if anything, full squats will have more of an effect on your oblique development than deads, but the bottom line is to just suck it up man. If you’re worried about losing your taper, just keep making your torso wider.

S

I have a 25" waist… it was 25" before I started deadlifting… and still is 25". :slight_smile:

Before worrying about your waist getting bigger than 29", it would be relevant what your hip size, as well as size overall.

One of the main things the eye of both sexes instintively picks up is the waist-hip ratio.

Men see women as being most attractive when this ratio is approximately 0.7.

Women see men as being most attractive when this ratio is about 0.9.

So if your 29 inch waist is going along with say a 41 inch waist, then you have a positively Playboy Bunny build and concern about keeping your waist small is utterly, utterly misplaced. Your problem is very much the opposite.

If say it’s going along with 36 inch hips, you’re halfway towards being an attractive woman (your ratio would be 0.8.) Not the best thing either. You need a muscularly thicker waist here as well – another 3.5 inches would be appropriate.

On the other hand if going along with a hip measurement of only about 32 inches, then you really are so slightly built in hip structure that a waist of that size is proportional.

Though if the hip musculature is poorly developed then both the waist and hips need to come up, rather than, again, worrying about keeping a 29" waist.

I have wide hips and I used to hate it because girls have wide hips. Now I love them bc I can deadlift ALOT more than I can squat. I have a feeling that im capable of 500+. Anyways I think westclock nailed it. Don’t be such a pussy mkay? LOL

Really tho, a man is supposed to have a strong muscular core and I doubt you will add 2 or 3 inches to your waist from just deadlifting. Usually its fat gain that ruins the waist and v-taper.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
I have a 25" waist… it was 25" before I started deadlifting… and still is 25". :)[/quote]

whaaa…25???

[quote]elano wrote:
I have wide hips and I used to hate it because girls have wide hips. Now I love them bc I can deadlift ALOT more than I can squat. I have a feeling that im capable of 500+. Anyways I think westclock nailed it. Don’t be such a pussy mkay? LOL

Really tho, a man is supposed to have a strong muscular core and I doubt you will add 2 or 3 inches to your waist from just deadlifting. Usually its fat gain that ruins the waist and v-taper. [/quote]

You have big hips too?

glad to hear I’m not the only one. I also pull 100+ more then I squat.

I deadlift and my waist is smaller then yours, …and I’m a girl. Deadlifting won’t hurt your figure I promise :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]DouglasJ16 wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
I have a 25" waist… it was 25" before I started deadlifting… and still is 25". :slight_smile:

whaaa…25???[/quote]

Seriously wtf…that is NOT something I would want. You know how many women wouldn’t get naked around you just because your waist is even smaller than theirs? That’s not a problem I want!

[quote]josh86 wrote:
DouglasJ16 wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
I have a 25" waist… it was 25" before I started deadlifting… and still is 25". :slight_smile:

whaaa…25???

Seriously wtf…that is NOT something I would want. You know how many women wouldn’t get naked around you just because your waist is even smaller than theirs? That’s not a problem I want![/quote]

Hah, I lol’d, good one. Never would’ve thought of that but it has an element of truth!!

We’re not hating man, just keep lifting and eating.

As far as the OP’s comment, um I think it’s simple: (IMO) if you want to be bigger and stronger deadlift. If you’re too worried about proportions and your tiny waist then you’re thinking too much.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
So you don’t have birthing hips. Big deal.[/quote]

He can’t attract all the hunks at the gym if he doesn’t have birthing hips.

Sheesh, show some sensitivity.

Well it doesn’t look so small on my frame, guys. I’m 5’2". That’s a TINY person. Lol seriously!

Well, oh well? What can I do? I would look funny with a 29" waist because of how tiny I am all around. And I shoot for girls around my height anyway… it’s really not a problem. lol

btw… 25" in the mornings… no food in my belly. It gets up to 26" if I eat enough! lol. I’m floating around 8-10% bodyfat too so I could make it smaller if I wanted to… especially considering my waistline is where most of my fat displacess (espec lower back)