Deadlifts And Health

Hi, i’ve been reading about deadlifts and am thinking about adding them to my lifting routines but I have heard a lot of bad things about them. Mostly about screwing up your back. Should I worry about that?

Done with proper form, deadlifts will be a challenging, helpful, and fun addition to your program.

I believe it was Louis Simmons (of Westside Barbell) who said that a safe exercise was an exercise not worth doing; I mention this because of course you could hurt yourself doing deadlifts but that it’s worth the risk.

Of course, you could also hurt yourself benching or squatting…so it’s not any more or less dangerous than those lifts.

None of this applies if you a) have injuries b) don’t know how to pull properly.

[quote]LilGuyBigPlans wrote:
Hi, i’ve been reading about deadlifts and am thinking about adding them to my lifting routines but I have heard a lot of bad things about them. Mostly about screwing up your back. Should I worry about that?[/quote]

Learn the proper form. Then using a broom stick or pvc pipe do a LOT of reps to learn the form and get ur body ready. Then take the barbell and if u can, start adding weight. (i can’t recal the article that tought proper D-Lifting form)

Remember, don’t go creazy adding weight or you will hurt urself.

p.s adding front/back/Overhead squats, and Olympic lifts will be a major plus to.

If learned done right then HEAVY and consistant they will make your back more healthy and strong.

Sure there is risk of injury as there is doing a barbell curl, taking a dump, anything in life, choose your poison and weight the payback to benefit ratio,

Phill