Deadlifts and Flyfishing

Yesterday I was on the river wading and casting heavy nymphs on a 7-weight rod. Afterwards my lower back felt like I had just done a killer deadlift session. WTF? Is is constantly keeping my balance on the rocky bottom or too much body english on the casting motion?

[quote]dbutkus wrote:
Yesterday I was on the river wading and casting heavy nymphs on a 7-weight rod. Afterwards my lower back felt like I had just done a killer deadlift session. WTF? Is is constantly keeping my balance on the rocky bottom or too much body english on the casting motion?[/quote]

Hey don’t mean to get off topic, but I live in Florida and I’ve been dying to find a place where I can legitimately learn how to fly fish. You got any suggestions or should I just get out there and “10 and 2” it?

On your topic, you are utilizing a lot of your core muscles when balancing and prolonged sessions could definitely put some wear and tear on your core (that being your abs and lower back).

My bet is that your waders have very little in the way of heels compared to the shoes you usually wear. Also willing to bet you have tight hamstrings.

try fishing streamers on a 5 wt. cane fly rod, I feel the same way after fishing this way haha

FLYFISHING ?!

THATS FOR PUSSIES !

try Muskie fishing…12" plugs and 80 lb dacron line on 8 foot baitcasters !!

just kiddin ya’…a little T-style razzin . hell , my lifts still suck , so I finally got to ride someone about something…haha .

actually , I tried using a fly-rod…once . hats off to you guys that have figured out how to use them .

you can have your thread back now

I’m willing to bet that the soreness was from staying balanced, casting, and doing so for hours on end. I’m sure you fought at least a slight current, so that in itself is tiring.

I know that surf fishing can leave me feeling spent if the tide is really active.

Stiles:
Check out the Orvis website - I’m sure there are flyshops in Florida that will teach you flycasting if you don’t have a friend that can do it.

Sharetrader:
You are right about heels on the wading boots and the hamstrings!

DF85:
I wouldn’t risk casting streamers on a cane rod the way I cast!

I lifted in my first PL meet in about 25 years on Saturday after my fishing trip on Tues and Wed. In spite of the sore lower back I got all 3 squats and all 3 deadlifts. I can highly recommend flyfishing during your off week before meets. (Especially if you are fishing the North Fork of the Shoshone in April)

Do you pull sumo or conventional? And what were your lifts?

Well, The only thing I can think of is that you got it from fighting the current. The water here in pa is high right now, but I plan on going out tomarrow and casting some streamers myself. Stick to the shallow water maybe. Good luck.

[quote]FE_FrEaK wrote:
Do you pull sumo or conventional? And what were your lifts?[/quote]

I pull conventional (never tried sumo). I got a 402 squat, 319 bench, and 451 dl on 8 of 9 attempts (missed my last bench at 330). Not too good but give me a break - I’m 55. I was a damn good flyfisherman this week though - 20 rainbows and cutthroats between 16" and 20" in a day and a half.

[quote]dbutkus wrote:

Sharetrader:
You are right about heels on the wading boots and the hamstrings!

[/quote]

Yup. What it means is that your lower back muscles have nowhere to go when you wear shoes with minimal heel, so they get put under constant strain and get sore. Time to get those hammies stretched!

i went fly fishing saturday on the Huron River in Michigan for about 2 1/2 hours. the water was moving fast and hard. Sunday i tried doing my speed squat workout. Called it a day soon after i started. my legs were toast. glad i’m not alone.