Deadlifts and Back Workout

My current split is Back/Hams, and I started doing DL’s with back. However, this makes me feel that doing RDL’s and hyper’s for my posterior chain may place too much stress on my lower back. I also miss doing BB T-bar rows (non-chest supported), for the same reason. Am I better off sticking to DB rows, Chins, Seated rows, Leg curls, and either RDL or Hyper (switch it every week), OR should I re-arrange the split?

Current one is:
Chest/Shoulder
Back/Ham
Rest
Quad/Calves
Arms

Doing conventional deads along with RDLs and even bent rows will, as you noticed, put a ton of stress on the low back. If you still want to do those same exercises, maybe put convetional deads with arms, or hae an upper back/lower back day.

I agree with NewDamage. Doing all of that on the same day is too much for the lower back.

I’d break up my back and hamstrings to separate days. I usually do this myself, so I can do a deadlift variation on my hamstring day and still do rows on my back day.

does this mean you guys don’t do like squats and bent over rows same day?

[quote]ronin45 wrote:
does this mean you guys don’t do like squats and bent over rows same day?[/quote]

Only if I was doing a total body workout or complexes.

If I’m doing a body part split, then I certainly wouldn’t be doing squats on the same day I do rows or deadlifts.

I’ve been doing Dlifts and Romanian deadlifts on the same day because its killer forearm development 2 but hmmm maybe i should switch it up? To Dlifts+ham curls one day and Squats+Romanian deadlifts the other???

Damage and Vader, thanks for the reply. I would have gotten back sooner, but I just got home from work. Assuming I were to break it up into a back and ham day, what could a new 4-day split look like?
Chest/Shoulder
Back/?
Quad/Calves
Ham/?
Arms

Lol, is it even possible to pull off a 4-day body part split that ISN’T Upper/Lower, or antagonistic? Or should I just bite the bullet and go back to the old Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Quad/Calf, Hamstring?

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Doing conventional deads along with RDLs and even bent rows will, as you noticed, put a ton of stress on the low back. If you still want to do those same exercises, maybe put convetional deads with arms, or hae an upper back/lower back day.[/quote]

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
Damage and Vader, thanks for the reply. I would have gotten back sooner, but I just got home from work. Assuming I were to break it up into a back and ham day, what could a new 4-day split look like?
Chest/Shoulder
Back/?
Quad/Calves
Ham/?
Arms

Lol, is it even possible to pull off a 4-day body part split that ISN’T Upper/Lower, or antagonistic? Or should I just bite the bullet and go back to the old Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Quad/Calf, Hamstring?

NewDamage wrote:
Doing conventional deads along with RDLs and even bent rows will, as you noticed, put a ton of stress on the low back. If you still want to do those same exercises, maybe put convetional deads with arms, or hae an upper back/lower back day.

[/quote]

Well if you want to do a four day split, you already have an extra day there. :slight_smile: I wouldn’t do hams the day after quads though.

Here’s my current split and maybe this will give you some ideas:

Quads/Calves
Back/Bis
rest
Hams/Calves
Chest/Shoulders/Tris

My calves are weak though, so I train them twice during my split (and sometimes a third time on Saturday). If have good calves, then you’d maybe want to do something different.

You could still have some antagonistic parings with the upper body days like Back/Tris and Chest/Bis.

If I were to go the route of Back/Tris, Chest/Bi’s would I want to put at least 2 days of rest between the two?

M-Back/Tri
T-Quad/Calf
W-rest
R-Chest/Bi
F-Ham/Shoulder
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest

and yeah I know i first listed 5 days haha

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
If I were to go the route of Back/Tris, Chest/Bi’s would I want to put at least 2 days of rest between the two?

M-Back/Tri
T-Quad/Calf
W-rest
R-Chest/Bi
F-Ham/Shoulder
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest[/quote]

That looks pretty good actually. Since you are going to be doing chest the day before shoulders, you might want to focus less on presses for shoulders and more on side and rear delt work or more secondary shoulder exercises like Arnold presses.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
dreads989 wrote:

M-Back/Tri
T-Quad/Calf
W-rest
R-Chest/Bi
F-Ham/Shoulder
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest

That looks pretty good actually. Since you are going to be doing chest the day before shoulders, you might want to focus less on presses for shoulders and more on side and rear delt work or more secondary shoulder exercises like Arnold presses.[/quote]

Sounds great! Appreciate the help.